Converting midi files to Yamaha styles

Reaction score
With my Korg PA’s I was able to take a midi song file and convert it to a Korg style, very easy! So far with my SX900 I haven’t found that function in the owner’s manual, have I just missed it?
Thanks, Scott

Reaction score
With Yamaha there is often an Owners Manual and a Reference Manual and whenever I look up to try to help resolve an issue I look at both manuals.

Reaction score
With Yamaha there is often an Owners Manual and a Reference Manual and whenever I look up to try to help resolve an issue I look at both manuals.
Thank you. I think if it’s in either manual I overlooked it but if you can find it I would appreciate the help.

Reaction score
Yamaha manuals suck, 250 pages total in both owners and reference manuals, Korg Pa 1000 has over 1050 pages and an inbuilt MIDI to Style convertor. Anti Yamaha rant over.

Nothing obvious in either manual.

Do research Yamaha’s Expansion Manager software to see if it will do the task.

Help has been around for ages in that the needs of Yamaha keyboard players have been catered for by Jorgen Sorensen with his suite of utility software.

Reaction score
Yamaha manuals suck, 250 pages total in both owners and reference manuals, Korg Pa 1000 has over 1050 pages and an inbuilt MIDI to Style convertor. Anti Yamaha rant over.

Nothing obvious in either manual.

Do research Yamaha’s Expansion Manager software to see if it will do the task.

Help has been around for ages in that the needs of Yamaha keyboard players have been catered for by Jorgen Sorensen with his suite of utility software.

Thank you, I’ll check it out.

Reaction score
Thank you your reply, I’ll check it out.
I wonder if there’s a version of it that doesn’t require you to sign up for a service I don’t need or want? I don’t mind paying for the program, the developer deserves to be paid for their work, I just don’t like be forced to sign up for something I won’t use.

Reaction score
I wonder if there’s a version of it that doesn’t require you to sign up for a service I don’t need or want? I don’t mind paying for the program, the developer deserves to be paid for their work, I just don’t like be forced to sign up for something I won’t use.
Jorgen's Midi2style program? I don't have it installed at the moment but I used to, and it was totally free then and still is, no sign ups or anything.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The midi2style program requires that you have Java installed-- JRE 8, to be exact (Java Runtime Environment 8)-- so if you don't have the Java 8 runtime environment installed yet, you should do that first.

Also, Jorgen's software hasn't been "vetted" by Microsoft, so Windows will typically flag the downloaded EXE install files as "potentially unsafe" and throw a hissy fit about them, and may temporarily change their names to something else ("CRDOWNLOAD"-something?) and make it more difficult for you to open and run them, so you might need to tell Windows multiple times that you trust the downloaded files and really do want to open them before it will change them back to their original EXE filenames and let you open and run them.

I've never had any issues from installing and running any of Jorgen's programs, and he has a lot of useful ones. His approach is to write many smaller programs which are designed to do specific tasks rather than having one huge program with a myriad of bewildering menu options to navigate through and a lot of features you might never use. But if you like having a single program to keep everything centralized and easy to organize, he has a Software Manager Program that lists all of his available programs in a spreadsheet or grid format, showing you whether each one is installed or not, which can check his website for newer versions of all his programs, and which lets you install, update, or run each program, or pull up the given program's homepage in your browser.

Reaction score
The midi2style program requires that you have Java installed-- JRE 8, to be exact (Java Runtime Environment 8)-- so if you don't have the Java 8 runtime environment installed yet, you should do that first.
Ah! I've never had to install this to be able to use Jorgen's programs, it must have been there already.
I'm a style and midi collector, just returned to using my S900, and the Yamaha style format has changed since I last played. He has several programs to help sort that out. Great resource.

Reaction score
The PA Korgs have this great feature that helps people like me who know how to play songs on a keyboard but don’t have the expertise to use computers ( I understand that the operating system on keyboards makes them computers of a sort), I just happen to like Yamaha’s sounds better and am trying to find a way to like Medeli’s sounds.

Ask a Question