Converting USB MIDI to Five Pin DIN

Reaction score
Title says it all. I want to send information from a Yamaha P-125 synth to a Roland VR-09 live via MIDI. Can it be done? The Yamaha uses a USB cable for MIDI and the Roland a five pin DIN. I've seen these little adapter boxes with both connectors on them. Will they solve my dilemma? HELP!!

Gerry

Reaction score
Title says it all. I want to send information from a Yamaha P-125 synth to a Roland VR-09 live via MIDI. Can it be done? The Yamaha uses a USB cable for MIDI and the Roland a five pin DIN. I've seen these little adapter boxes with both connectors on them. Will they solve my dilemma? HELP!!

Gerry
Whoops, I just noticed a very similar post. Sorry 'bout that........

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying the MIDI Host you mention. Have you actually used it with the P125? Did you have the -10 or -20 version of the MIDI Host? I chatted with Yamaha a while back and they insisted that only the expensive Kenton MIDI Host with work with the P125.

Reaction score
Thanks but would be great to know someone really got it working before spending $60. And need to know which model I need.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Enjoy your fishing expedition.

If your Yammy is USB MIDI class compliant then it WILL work.

But Yammies are famous for not being class compliant.

Check your specs for an answer.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The Specs don't say if it's class compliant. Looked around for posts saying if it is and couldn't find anything.

Reaction score
Someone on another thread said a few years ago: "Yamaha's keyboards have been class-compliant for a number of years now". So I'll take a chance and hopefully be able to return it if it doesn't work.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That’s the spirit!!!

Gungho and damn the torpedos!!!

One if by land and two if by cheese. :D

Gary;)

Reaction score
Or maybe I'll spend a tiny bit more and get a mini MIDI keyboard that has a 5-pin MIDI out (there are a couple left roaming Amazon). So hard to decide ...

Reaction score
That's about 5+ times what I want to spend on this. I just bought a decent digital piano and some other stuff. This is just to connect some things together.

Reaction score
I'd spend a bit more ($125 maybe) for something that had: 25-32 keys, 5-pin MIDI OUT, 4+ drum pads, and some basic low quality but fun sounds. Suggestions welcome.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I know I'm late to the party, but I'm looking at the P-125 on Yamaha's site and I notice that it can be connected to Android devices. As far as I know, Yamaha doesn't make any USB-MIDI drivers for Android-based operating systems, so that would imply that the P-125 is class-compliant and doesn't require a USB-MIDI driver.

Reaction score
Wrote to the person who's selling the USB / MIDI DIN adapter. He said that according to the P125 manual, his adapter will NOT work the way we want it to!

Ask a Question