crash course in 60's organ keyboardage

Reaction score
hullo awbdy;

so, I might be joining a band soon if all goes well - the style is 60's rock (beatles, kinks etc.) with a horn section, and I'd be singing. I also offered to maybe do a bit of cheesy organ sounds from my keyboard.

the main problem is - I can't actually play :(. I'm still very much a beginner; I've found being in a band is very good for improving on other instruments quickly (guitar, bass, etc.) so that was my plan. but I think i will need to knuckle down and learn the basics of organ style playing before we start so I'm not just wasting everyone's time - even if I just sort of, plug my way though the chords.

any hints and tips you's lot could give for a complete "noob"? to give you some idea of the level I'm at justnow, I can kind of play the intro to "whiter shade of pale" and the main riff to "smoke on the water" - i can't really play a song the whole way though note for note but I can play like, the chords to a few songs. any tips for the style? types of chords and things to use? techniques (rhythmic, left hand and right hand stuff etc. etc.) ? I'm gonna practice the pentatonic I think cos I only really know it in C; the bulk of guitar-based music is in E, A, D and G so I'll think i'll concentrate on them.

Reaction score
well, I know a bit of theory from bass playing so I know how to put the chords together a bit. I normally just play triads -but I'm the same on guitar i've never really dug complex chords, like, jazz chords and that. I love messing about with inversions and stuff, that's really like, a new thing for me coming from a guitar background where there's basically like, one way to play each chord.

thanks for the reply man - haha, don't worry about it being a necropost - that's pretty much the speed threads go at here

Reaction score
Hi - I'll try to give yo one or two tips based on the limited info you've provided...

If you're a 'beginner' on keyboards, don't try to set your sights too high!

Add to that the fact that you're singing aswell, then keep things simple!

Basic 'chords' are easy - in your case I'd suggest playing mainly the 'root' note
as the 'upper' note coupled with a 4th interval below - ie: chord of C = top note C, lower note G. Play the root note in the bass too & you've got yourself a basic chord!

This technique negates the 'complication' of major/minor chords - which are determined by the 3rd interval - in other words they will fit anywhere!

I suspect this is very similar to how you play 'smoke on the water?'

Good luck!

Reaction score
Hi Friends...

:cool: Hi Everyone..
This is Jake Smith & I also want to learn playing Organ...
So Thanks For Information...

Reaction score
as the 'upper' note coupled with a 4th interval below - ie: chord of C = top note C, lower note G.

... I think It's called a "double stop" on a guitar - is it the same on keyboard? or is it just, like, "inverted 5th" or something maybe?

Reaction score
Here...a basic sixtiesish pop chord progression on a keyboard would be on your right hand, first a C chord (let's just say were in C because it's easiest to explain in this key). So, first a C chord. It's a C, and perfect third up to an E, and a perfect fifth up to a G. Play them all together, CEG, and you get a C chord.

The next chord is an F. Now, if we follow the Major chord pattern of Root, perfect 3rd, and perfect 5th, we get FAC. Now we can switch up the order of the notes for easier access on the keyboard. We can change it to CFA, just play the top C at the bottom.

Next is the the G chord. Same thing, root, 3rd, 5th. that gives us GBD. Now you have some optins of how to play this. You can move all you fingers a whole step up from the F chord, making DGB, a second inversion, or play it BDG, in a first inversion.

Of course, yoy can just play it CEG for 2 counts, FAC, for two counts, GBD for two counts, then back to FAC for 2, then repeat...(120 BPM approx.)

You can rearrange the chordsto suit your needs, as long as the notes are the same. GBD, BDG, and DGB are all the same chord; G. They are just in different inversions.

Hopefully this can help you.

For you left hand just play single notes that corrospond to the chord. For a C chord, play a C. For an F chord, play an F.

Those are just some basics in a simple 60's chord prog.

Reaction score
small correction - typo may cause confusion!

... play it CED...

I'm certain this is a typo mistake Moonchild?

The 'C' major chord (as stated elsewhere) is C E G.

To turn it into a minor chord you simply flatten (or diminish) the 3rd by a semitone - ie: the 'E' would then become E flat.

This, of course, applies to any other major chord - flatten the 3rd & it becomes a minor chord.

Reaction score
... I think It's called a "double stop" on a guitar - is it the same on keyboard? or is it just, like, "inverted 5th" or something maybe?

The chord of C major is, note-by-note, C E G C.

By using the suggestion I made above, you are simply playing the top two notes of this chord.

The E 'natural' (the 3rd note in the scale) is what makes it a major chord.

If you leave out the 3rd (in this case 'E') you are left with C G C, therefore it will fit with major or minor chords.

If you were to play a major chord while the rest of the band are playing a minor (or vice-versa)
it would clash horrendously!

Reaction score
I'm certain this is a typo mistake Moonchild?

The 'C' major chord (as stated elsewhere) is C E G.

To turn it into a minor chord you simply flatten (or diminish) the 3rd by a semitone - ie: the 'E' would then become E flat.

This, of course, applies to any other major chord - flatten the 3rd & it becomes a minor chord.

Oopsy.

Sorry. I meant CEG....you know that G is sorta close to the D key on your typing keyboard....

I'll go edit that.

Ask a Question