Create voice(tone) by custom made samples

Reaction score
Hi Friends,
I need a help. Does anybody knows how to create a tone(voice) by custom made sample into Yamaha psr-s970.
Thanks

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I believe you can create your own voices with the free Yamaha Expansion Manager program. I think you can import a soundfont or other types of samples into that program to make a voice out of, although I don't have a compatible keyboard and therefore haven't used that program. There should be people at the PSR Tutorial forums that could probably help you with that.

Reaction score
Hi,
I tried to sign up into par tutorials forum but it's been a week the admin has not approved my request.

Reaction score
I have one more query, I created a midi file using fl studio and able to play it in my psr-s970. Also am able to change the voice of each channel. But not able to add dsp effects on it. Can you please help me with this issue?
Thanks

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I'm not sure why you didn't hear back on your sign-up request.

As for your second question, there's a program called "MixMaster" that you can download for free from the main PSR Tutorial site (not the forum). You can use it to edit song files or style files, including adding Yamaha SysEx messages for things like DSP effects.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with the PSR-S or similar high-end models, but if there's a way to do it on the keyboard itself I think it would be somewhere in the "Song Arranger" (if that's what it's called). I'd have to study the manuals-- especially the Reference Manual, which is more in-depth than the Owner's Manual-- to see what it says.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I'm looking at the Reference Manual and on page 73 it lists the different types of System Exclusive events you can use in the Song Creator.

Reverb Type, Chorus Type, DSP Type, and various other voice-related and effects-related parameter settings are controlled using Yamaha XG messages, which are a kind of System Exclusive message. So I'm guessing you'd want to select "XGPrm" on the "SYS/EX." page. (Since I don't have a PSR-S970, I'm not sure whether my descriptions of the steps are correct, but hopefully you'll be able to understand what I mean.) The information about "XGPrm" says to look at the MIDI information in the Data List.

In the Data List, it looks like the information related to the "Variation Type" (which I think is the DSP?) starts on page 90. By the way, if you're starting from an external MIDI file-- as opposed to one that you created on the keyboard itself-- then you might possibly need to add the "XG System On" message as well (it's on page 89); although I'm not sure about that, because I think the keyboard may possibly have the XG system turned on by default. But if adding XG messages for the variation effect doesn't seem to have any effect (no pun intended), then add the "XG System On" message and see if that helps.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
You're welcome! Another idea might be to see if you can set up the keyboard the way you want-- that is, with the DSP effects you want-- and create a quick and simple recording on the keyboard, then look at the MIDI events in the Song Creator to see if you can identify which messages the keyboard used to set the DSP.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I was looking at some posts over at the PSR Tutorial forums about adding DSP events to style files (not song files) on the PSR-S970, and the consensus seemed to be that it isn't possible, at least not using the built-in Style Creator function.

I don't know if the same limitation exists in the Song Creator function, but if it does then the recommended workaround seems to be to create a user voice with all of the desired DSP settings, then use that user voice in the style (or song) that you're creating/editing.

Reaction score
Sir,
Good news. We can apply dsp effects. We need to go to (mixing console- effects-type) and select the channel and dsp type. But I need to find out how to apply it on each channel. I mean when I on the dsp it will be on for all the channels. Need to find out how to off for some channels. But it's not an issue because dsp will be applied on all the channels based on its voice category. It's string are playing on ch1 then dsp relating to strings will be applied.
Thank you sir

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
With effects, the effects type that you choose is system-wide, so it will affect all parts and channels.

If you don't want the effect to affect a particular part or channel, you need to set the send level for that effect to 0 on that part or channel.

For example, if you choose a particular Reverb Type (which is done via a SysEx message), that Reverb Type will be used on all parts and channels, whether you want a given part or channel to have reverb or not.

But you can set the Reverb Send Level on each part or channel (which is done via a CC message), and to turn it off you would set it to 0-- which doesn't really turn it off, but turns it down all the way, which basically has the same effect as turning it off.

This is true of the Reverb effect and Chorus effect, and I think it's normally true of the DSP effect as well (which may be called something else, such as "Variation").

The exception to this is an "insertion" effect, which is applied to a specific part or channel rather than to the entire system. I'm not sure of how it all works, since I don't have it on my keyboard models, but the DSP effect might be able to be used as either a system-wide effect or an insertion effect.

Actually, "DSP" is an ambiguous name to call it, because technically reverb and chorus are DSP effects, even though they're classified separately on the keyboard. I think that's mainly done for convenience, since reverb and chorus are probably the two most commonly used types of DSP effects.

Reaction score
Ok sir. I understood the concept. Now I need to find out how to use Sysex option in my keyboard. I know where is located in keyboard, just need to some research on how to use it.
My request for psr forum has approved.
Thanks

Ask a Question