Creating Backing tracks/Styles for music covers

Discussion in 'General Keyboard Discussion' started by ChrisNabil, Oct 30, 2018.

1. ChrisNabil

ChrisNabil

Hi Guys!,

I have watched many keyboard players on YouTube play amazing cover versions of songs by having what sounds to be the original rhythm/beat in the background and then playing the melody on top of it.

Is there like a library of backing tracks you can upload onto your keyboard that allows you to do this?

This is an example of what i am talking about -

Be very grateful for any help. :)

ChrisNabil, Oct 30, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. ChrisNabil

Biggles

Chris

There are masses of backing tracks available to download, a Google search will reveal them

Many are Karaoke versions.

Another option is a MIDI file.

An Arranger keyboard has this facility built in, eg my own has an inbuilt Style called Moonlight and all the instruments are in a Combi to give a Glenn Miller sound, my keyboard is split and I can play backing left handed and lead/melody with my right. All easily changed as is the Tempo, and the sound is very pleasant. I can import a MIDI and convert into a Style, so again LH plays rytham and RH whatever I want.

With a synth/workstation you can import the file and play it as backing and even create one yourself.

On my Kross 2 I can have a Combi and keyboard split as I want it with upper and lower voices with the auto drum track set to match what I want to play, I can then start playing and use the Recording function to essentially build up a layered backing track which I loop. I save this file and swap the Combi and record the Bass hence keep adding to the loop. If the song has a short riff then I can record it, save it, assign it to a Pad and then whilst playing I can simply press the Pad and the Riff recirding plays

Others here will no doubt offer their own versions of the above and I would expect some to have thousands of files they can call up and use as part of a backing either in full or for part of a song.

Biggles, Oct 30, 2018
    Elsa.George, Rayblewit and ChrisNabil like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. ChrisNabil

ChrisNabil

Thank you so much for your info Biggles. I did have a quick look for a few MIDI files of some songs i wanted a backing track to but they were very poor quality. I suspect a paid for version would be better (which i dont mind doing in the least) I will have another search and see what i can find!. Many thanks!

ChrisNabil, Oct 30, 2018
    Elsa.George likes this.
  4. ChrisNabil

Elsa.George

This video was awesome:)

Elsa.George, Nov 2, 2018
    ChrisNabil likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question