Creating Backing tracks/Styles for music covers

Reaction score
Hi Guys!,

I have watched many keyboard players on YouTube play amazing cover versions of songs by having what sounds to be the original rhythm/beat in the background and then playing the melody on top of it.

Is there like a library of backing tracks you can upload onto your keyboard that allows you to do this?

This is an example of what i am talking about -

Be very grateful for any help. :)

Reaction score
Chris

There are masses of backing tracks available to download, a Google search will reveal them

Many are Karaoke versions.

Another option is a MIDI file.

An Arranger keyboard has this facility built in, eg my own has an inbuilt Style called Moonlight and all the instruments are in a Combi to give a Glenn Miller sound, my keyboard is split and I can play backing left handed and lead/melody with my right. All easily changed as is the Tempo, and the sound is very pleasant. I can import a MIDI and convert into a Style, so again LH plays rytham and RH whatever I want.

With a synth/workstation you can import the file and play it as backing and even create one yourself.

On my Kross 2 I can have a Combi and keyboard split as I want it with upper and lower voices with the auto drum track set to match what I want to play, I can then start playing and use the Recording function to essentially build up a layered backing track which I loop. I save this file and swap the Combi and record the Bass hence keep adding to the loop. If the song has a short riff then I can record it, save it, assign it to a Pad and then whilst playing I can simply press the Pad and the Riff recirding plays

Others here will no doubt offer their own versions of the above and I would expect some to have thousands of files they can call up and use as part of a backing either in full or for part of a song.

Reaction score
Chris

There are masses of backing tracks available to download, a Google search will reveal them

Many are Karaoke versions.

Another option is a MIDI file.

An Arranger keyboard has this facility built in, eg my own has an inbuilt Style called Moonlight and all the instruments are in a Combi to give a Glenn Miller sound, my keyboard is split and I can play backing left handed and lead/melody with my right. All easily changed as is the Tempo, and the sound is very pleasant. I can import a MIDI and convert into a Style, so again LH plays rytham and RH whatever I want.

With a synth/workstation you can import the file and play it as backing and even create one yourself.

On my Kross 2 I can have a Combi and keyboard split as I want it with upper and lower voices with the auto drum track set to match what I want to play, I can then start playing and use the Recording function to essentially build up a layered backing track which I loop. I save this file and swap the Combi and record the Bass hence keep adding to the loop. If the song has a short riff then I can record it, save it, assign it to a Pad and then whilst playing I can simply press the Pad and the Riff recirding plays

Others here will no doubt offer their own versions of the above and I would expect some to have thousands of files they can call up and use as part of a backing either in full or for part of a song.

Thank you so much for your info Biggles. I did have a quick look for a few MIDI files of some songs i wanted a backing track to but they were very poor quality. I suspect a paid for version would be better (which i dont mind doing in the least) I will have another search and see what i can find!. Many thanks!

Reaction score
Karaoke tracks with live instruments are far more likely to sound like the original. MIDI just doesn't have the tools. Yes, you will probably have to pay for a well-done track. But not always, I write spoofs and can sometimes use a Karaoke track for reference.

Ask a Question