DGX-640 Transpose Setting?

Reaction score
Hi there! I recently acquired a hand-me-down Yamaha DGX-640 and realized that middle C is set to A3. I was able to figure to how to access the transpose setting and when I switch it from 0 to 2, middle C becomes middle C. However, any time I turn the piano off/on again, it resets to middle C at A3 with the transpose setting at 0. Is there a way to reset so that middle C can stay middle C without me having to switch it every time? I was able to "save" the setting so that I can hit a button -- but would be nice to eliminate even that one extra step. Is there another setting I should be looking at? I did also try to hold down the highest key & turn on the power at the same time, but the issue did not resolve. Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
check page 74 of the manual to do the transpose.

it's also possible that your understanding of the location of Middle C is different than Yamaha's.

Reaction score
Hi! Thanks for responding.

So I was able to change the transpose setting from 0 to 2, but it doesn’t stay at that setting when I turn the keyboard off and then on again. Do you know how to get it to stay at the desired setting?

Interesting that Yamaha’s C4 could be different. My understanding is that C4 is around 260 Hz. With the transpose on 0, the middle C key is picking up at 220ish Hz (A3). When transpose is at 2, it picks up as 260 Hz. I tested this on my tuner and my piano teacher’s tuner. I’ll look into this more!

Let me know if you have any other suggestions!

Ask a Question