Dgx 640 USB options

Reaction score
Dear members
I'm Gerald new member I bought DGX 640 yesterday and I'm using SX 700 as well, can I use Yamaha voices and styles on DGX 640.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20201213_091318.jpg
    20201213_091318.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 87

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You cannot load new voices into the DGX models as you can do with the PSR-SX models.

However, you should be able to use new Yamaha style files, either by transferring them into the keyboard's internal memory using the free Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader software for Windows or free Yamaha MusicSoft Manager app for iOS, or by putting them on a USB flash drive and playing them from the flash drive.

Note that you will most likely need to use utility software such as some of the free programs from JoSoSoft.dk to (1) convert any SFF2 style files to SFF1 style files, (2) revoice the styles so they try to use only voices that are included on the DGX-640, and perhaps also (3) reduce the size of the style files by removing any unusable style variations or moving them to variations that can be used.

The DGX-660 can use SFF-GE (a.k.a. SFF2) style files, but I don't think the DGX-640 can.

The DGX-640 may possibly be limited to style files which are no larger than about 50kB, and removing any of the unusable variations can help pare down a large style file to a usable size.

The DGX models can use the A and B variations of styles, but cannot use the C and D variations. If a style file has a C or D variation that you want to use, you'll need to move it to the A or B variation.

Reaction score
Hello SeaGtGraff. I used to play Clavinovas for years at church, last 7-year gig was with a Spanish church. I used all the bells whistles and more on the Clavinova when playing with them. Anyway, I moved from VA to GA and then bought a Yamaha DGX-670 B to make it easier to take to and from church. Bad news is, I had a stroke, and it affected my speech side of my brain. This has made it near difficult to get through the manual and try how best to save and store voice and style data. It seems like every time the Yamaha DXG gets unplugged, I lose everything I had stored in memory! Is there a setting to keep this from happening? Please help, as I am about to give away this nice instrument. Thanks!

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
SFF1 and SFF2 are Yamaha style file formats, not voice formats. As previously stated, you cannot load new voices into the DGX-660 and earlier models, only new styles.

I believe the DGX-650 and earlier models can use only SFF1 style files, but I'm not certain. The owner's manuals for the DGX-650 and earlier models show the SFF icon at the bottom of their covers, while the owner's manual for the DGX-660 shows the SFFGE icon at the bottom of its cover. Yamaha generally refers to SFF1 as just SFF or Style File Format, and refers to SFF2 as SFF-GE or Style File Format - Guitar Edition (because the difference has to do with additional data fields that were added with relation to guitar chords in the style file).

Jorgen Sorensen (http://www.jososoft.dk/) has a utility program that can convert SFF2 files to SFF1 files:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Hello SeaGtGraff. I used to play Clavinovas for years at church, last 7-year gig was with a Spanish church. I used all the bells whistles and more on the Clavinova when playing with them. Anyway, I moved from VA to GA and then bought a Yamaha DGX-670 B to make it easier to take to and from church. Bad news is, I had a stroke, and it affected my speech side of my brain. This has made it near difficult to get through the manual and try how best to save and store voice and style data. It seems like every time the Yamaha DXG gets unplugged, I lose everything I had stored in memory! Is there a setting to keep this from happening? Please help, as I am about to give away this nice instrument. Thanks!

Once you've set up the keyboard the way you like, you can save the settings to a Registration. See pages 80-87 of the Owner's Manual, and pages 61-65 of the Reference Manual, for information about Registrations.

Reaction score
You can't add new voices to DGX Keyboards, but you can change the voices to create some nice pianos you didn't hat were just there... just watch to this:

Reaction score
You cannot load new voices into the DGX models as you can do with the PSR-SX models.

However, you should be able to use new Yamaha style files, either by transferring them into the keyboard's internal memory using the free Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader software for Windows or free Yamaha MusicSoft Manager app for iOS, or by putting them on a USB flash drive and playing them from the flash drive.

Note that you will most likely need to use utility software such as some of the free programs from JoSoSoft.dk to (1) convert any SFF2 style files to SFF1 style files, (2) revoice the styles so they try to use only voices that are included on the DGX-640, and perhaps also (3) reduce the size of the style files by removing any unusable style variations or moving them to variations that can be used.

The DGX-660 can use SFF-GE (a.k.a. SFF2) style files, but I don't think the DGX-640 can.

The DGX-640 may possibly be limited to style files which are no larger than about 50kB, and removing any of the unusable variations can help pare down a large style file to a usable size.

The DGX models can use the A and B variations of styles, but cannot use the C and D variations. If a style file has a C or D variation that you want to use, you'll need to move it to the A or B variation

Hi sorry to bother but do you know what usb dgx 40 use? I lost mines but im not sure which usb I can buy to connect it to my ipad

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
If you mean the version of USB, the DGX-640 Owner's Manual says

Though the instrument supports the USB 1.1 standard, you can connect and use a USB 2.0 storage device with the instrument. However, note that the transfer speed is that of USB 1.1.

That should apply to USB cables as well as USB flash drives.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
(1) Style Format 2 Converter can convert SFF2 files to SFF1 files:

(2) Style Revoicer can change the voices in a style file to voices which are available on various specific Yamaha models, including the DGX-640:

(3) Style ReMixer can rearrange or delete the various sections of a style file if you need to do that:

Style Format 2 Converter and Style ReMixer are .NET programs and require the .NET Framework ver. 4.0.

Style Revoicer is a Java program and requires JRE ver. 8.

I can't post a step-by-step right now, but later I'll see if I can start putting one together.

Ask a Question