DGX 650 + 3P7A pedals in Logic (9.8)

Reaction score
Odd phenomenon, and my main dilemma.
when I used previous sustain pedals on my midi keyboards in my old studio setup, they'd extend a note's "tail" - which we all know to be the main function of the sustain pedal, (far right).
The problem I have, is that when I press the sustain pedal, no matter which software synth (AU), the pedal instead simply holds the notes down, - the equivalent of if I were to hold down the notes with my hands. When I lift my foot and release the pedal, the note hold stops. in most cases, the note would eventually "end" after it's extended tail trailed off, etc etc. This is not what the Yamaha 3P7A pedals appear to be doing. They appear to be HOLDING the notes indefinitely.

I don't want a note "hold" to be the function of the sustain pedal. I just want the notes to have a longer tail and act more like a traditional piano would when pressing the pedal. Almost all my soft synth plugins would read the old sustain foot switch I used to have, and do just that, and the note "hold" was never an issue.
The sustain pedal of my Yamaha 3P7A appears to have a more advanced "3 way" function type switch. One midi note when pedal is off (0), one for when pressed all the way (127), and a 3rd one (46 i think?) for when the pedal is at middle or somewhere along the movement path. I cant remember specifics. I just know it's a 3 way function, rather than just on / off, and probably has something to do with the the note muffling / dampening feature (lightly releasing or pressing the pedal will cause the piano to sound more like a real sustain pedal) , - but that feature is useless and a burden in my DAW and I want it disabled, and have tried, but it remains a problem. - and that really screws with the synths, because they all seem to think that the "note hold" is the correct thing to do when the pedal gets pressed. - so frustrating.
Anyone know how to resolve? Is it something I have to dissable in the DGX settings (I tried em all I thought) or something I have to switch off or disable in Logic?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It sounds like it's a "half-damper" pedal. I'm not sure if there's anything you can do on the DGX-650, but that may depend on what MIDI messages are being sent to the soft synths. Have you looked at the data using a MIDI monitor to see what the messages are?

Reaction score
It sounds like it's a "half-damper" pedal. I'm not sure if there's anything you can do on the DGX-650, but that may depend on what MIDI messages are being sent to the soft synths. Have you looked at the data using a MIDI monitor to see what the messages are?
Yep. It is indeed the half damper pedal function at work As I see three midi events triggered when the pedal is pressed and released. I I'll just buy my way out of this problem by purchasing a cheap on/off portable sustain pedal that specifically does NOT have that function lol. I'll post back up if that ends up working.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The half-damper type of pedal doesn't work with all keyboard models, since the keyboard must be designed to respond correctly to the pedal's messages, so I would think that the same is true of virtual instruments.

One thing you might do is see if Logic has any "MIDI effects" functions that could be used to modify how the DAW sees or responds to the data coming from the pedal. For instance, some DAWs let you filter out certain message types, or change a message from one type to another, or modify the message data, etc.

Ask a Question