DGX 670 Mixer Tutorial?

Reaction score
I just got the 670, and I'm locating vidio, and some text tutorials on the 670 to bring me up to speed. it is SO different from the 660.

I cannot find any tutorials, or any info at all other than the manual, on the mixer.

Does anyone know of any video tutorials out there for the mixer on the 670?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Be patient. It's not your first rodeo and tutorials will be on the way from the public shortly.

In the meantime, why not browse thru the actual manuals themselves and find out things that may or may not be omitted from other's digestion and regurgitation of the manuals.

Nobody spoon fed you when you first learned how to play and these sorts of videos, tutorials, etc., eventually pop up as the boards actually begin to ship and beyond.

I'm assuming, that you already checked the obvious places like Yamaha and Youtube.

Reaction score
Yes I've looked at all the usual places, Google search, youtube, Yamaha, forums, etc.

Of course I start with the manuals, but they leave a lot of questions.

As for what I want to do...

Well I guess I may even have misguided perceptions of what I could do with the mixer. But a couple of the things that I have read that gave me the impression that I could do are: change volume of tracks without having to re-record the whole track all over again at a new volume... That's the main one I'm interested in.
I've also read that you can actually substitute instruments without re-recording it all. That's an interesting concept, as my learning curve takes me down the accompaniment road. I've also read that if you make a mistake in recording a song that you can go back in and play in just the area where the errors are to fix them without recording the whole song. That one to me sounds like it might be more difficult to get the timing right there so just redo the whole song might be the way to go. But it's an interesting concept.

And I'm sure there are things I'm not even thinking of. I've been on at 660 for 2 1/2 years, and boy is this different!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Since the DGX-660 is basically an XGlite model (or really "XGlite plus"), whereas the DGX-670 is an XG model, the mixer on the DGX-670 is presumably very similar or possibly even identical to the mixers on the PSR-S, PSR-SX, Tyros, and Genos models. You might want to search for tutorials for those models to see if they can help you to understand the mixer on the DGX-670.

Reaction score
Just to update: I have since finished reading through the manual, and took note of what the capabilities are, and learning what I can go back to as I learn this keyboard.

I'm surprised by some of the features in this keyboard, and anxious to learn how to use them. When reading the manual, I found it to be less than stellar. It often references "...for details see the online reference manual". Then of course, the reference manual often refers you back to the user manual.

To the point of the original question on using the Mixer: The manuals for this topic seem to be useless for this topic. The mixer info is in chapter 8 of the reference manual. It indicates that you can change the voice (which I take that to mean I can change the existing voice in the song to a different voice) on p. 66-67. I followed the instructions, and when I then hit play...no changes, although the small icon for the voice did change to the new voice. So I figured I need to save it (although I would think you could listen to it first). Finding no save option on the mixer page, I referred back to tha manual and in t I see that to save panel settings, save to a registration memory (Panel is where I was at in the reference manual for changing the voice). So I did that. Even told it to save the song. No go.

So, I obviously am off base somewhere. Maybe I'm missinterpreting something. So, the upgrade to the 670 is a great step, they went far above my expectations. On the documentation, no more comments.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
That issue about how to change voices in a song and get them to "take" sounds like something I've seen owners of the PSR-S models ask about. If I remember correctly, it does require saving the changes to the song, although I'm unfamiliar with how all of that works.

But I imagine some PSR-S users may have made videos about the mixer that might answer your questions; you just need to broaden your searches to include other models.

Reaction score
I did find a video based on a PSR after your last suggestion. That particular one wasn't overly helpful. I'm actually surprised how few videos are out there on this topic. Maybe the mixer gets ignored.

I think that some of these things provide an opportunity for me to create some once I figure out out.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
. Maybe the mixer gets ignored.
I have a psr s model with a mixer.
It seems complicated and awkward to program. I worry if I make changes to some of the styles, adding and mixing sounds and saving changes will confuse me and eventually I will probably over write my existing original default settings.
Yep, I chose to ignore it.
R

Reaction score
I have a psr s model with a mixer.
It seems complicated and awkward to program. I worry if I make changes to some of the styles, adding and mixing sounds and saving changes will confuse me and eventually I will probably over write my existing original default settings.
Yep, I chose to ignore it.
R

I hear ya...

FYI...yesterday I experimented with the process to re-record a section on a song. (Worked great by the way). I copied the song into a folder called Testing. So I could screw anything up, even if just for fun :)

So, on that one it asks for a name, so it prompts you to be able to save it with a different name. So that seems relatively safe. But the fallback I will use, at least a short term safety net, is copy original to a different folder and attempt the changes.

I expect that changes with the mixer will work the same. I will report back. I expect to play with the mixer today.

I'll just reiterate...the documentation is fair at best.

This keyboard is SO different in doing the same things as the 660. Last night after my test with updating a couple measures, I wanted to play the song, as an accompaniment (ACMP), I struggled with how to change the volume of the live part of the song. (One of my goals is to have ACMPsI created to play in the background of the melody which I would play live). I would use a different instrument than the main one recorded in the ACMP and it would change the instrument I was trying to play live to the main instrument in the ACMP. Then figuring out how to change the volume of the live instrument was a pain.

I'll get it figured out eventually.

Last edited:

Ask a Question