DGX 670 Sound

Reaction score
I went out to Sweetwater and was looking online at the 670 wh. This was the 1 review...

1688229538899.png

Would others agree? I have the 660 now, and the sound is not so great. Although I will say that I only realized it after getting headphones to use while practicing. Large difference.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I haven't tried out any of the DGX models, but I believe the DGX-670 has a full implementation of XG, versus the XGlite implementation that (I think) was used in previous models. That means there should be more options for tinkering with the voices than merely adjusting the Master Equalizer.

For instance, doesn't the "Piano Room" feature that's included on some of the previous models have an option for how the "lid" is adjusted? (I'm not sure whether that's the right term, but my mind's gone blank just now.) And there are voice-related settings for things like the cutoff frequency for the high-pass filter and the amount of harmonic resonance. If I remember correctly, XG even has settings for additional filter types-- for example, low-pass and band-pass. Plus, there are the reverb and chorus types, as well as the reverb and chorus depths.

Also, you can combine two voices, so you can layer a second acoustic piano voice or an electric piano voice with the default Grand Piano Voice if you wish, and adjust its voice parameters separately from the main voice's parameters. You could even layer the same voice with itself and adjust the second layer differently than the first. Typically the second layer would be shifted up or down an octave, but it doesn't have to be.

Anyway, there are a lot of options for fiddling with a voice if there's something about it that doesn't sound the way you want it to. And the acoustic piano is generally one of the instrument sounds that musicians are the most picky about. I think that's why any electronic keyboard that includes an acoustic piano sound will typically have half a dozen to several dozen different acoustic piano voices to choose from. In any case, it seems like just about every musician I've ever seen posting in an online keyboard forum has been rather critical of the default acoustic piano sound on whatever new make and model of keyboard they've just upgraded to, and they tend to spend a good deal of time trying out the available piano sounds and fiddling with parameters to find something that sounds "just right" to their ears. And a lot of musicians will happily share the specific voice settings which they feel produce the "best" piano sound.

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed input, Michael.

Actually a lot of the things you listed in fact the 660 can do. Unless maybe it's a different method. On the 660 you have 5 voices you can layer. However on the 670 there are 16. I actually think that all the improved features on the 670 are worth the upgrade.

I should probably be more clear in my query: the sound I'm speaking of is the audio from the s peakers that come on the keyboard. I have seen in the specs on the 670 says it's 10 watts, whereas the 670 is 6 watts. I may be thinking of this wrong, but I don't think a few watts would make much difference in the sound. I'm thinking it will just play louder.

I'm watchin online to see if anyone puts a 670 on sale over the July 4th holiday. But I'm not seeing it at the moment.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Ah, thank you for the clarification.

I think external speakers might be a good option. They don't even need to be expensive "musical instrument" speakers. Maybe @happyrat1 can chime in with some advice, but I think either he or someone else once mentioned that an inexpensive set of external computer speakers can work great with a keyboard.

Ask a Question