Does this keyboard even exist?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a portable keyboard (25 or 37 keys) that can do the following:

- Battery operation
- A lot of built-in sounds, or downloadable, quickly selectable via direct buttons or presets
- Transpose & octave shift on the fly
- Drum pads would be nice, perhaps doubling as sound selector buttons
- OK if programmable through a PC interface, but has to be able to play offline

For travel I currently have a Yamaha PSS-A50 which is not bad, but has limited sounds and is a little bulky. I thought the Akai MiniPlay Mk3 was the answer, and it's a neat little unit, but the sounds are not that great, and it cannot transpose except through a PC, which is a deal-killer. I've even contemplated getting a full-size keyboard with the features I want and physically modifying it in a smaller package, but I imagine that would be impractical. Can anyone help?

Reaction score
You could divide your wish into the sounds and the keyboard. You could use your smartphone or tablet (notably if by Apple) for the sounds. (GarageBand app included with iPhone/iPad.) You could then think of the hardware you want to access these sounds with: that keyboard (with no built-in sounds needed), maybe some interface, maybe some footswitch. You'd also think of how the sounds get from your mobile device to whatever loudspeaker. Bluetooth could be the answer to these interface questions.

If you should consider roll-up keyboards, mind the (unlikely) presence or (likely) absence of velocity sensitivity.

Reaction score
The closest thing I can think of that is self-contained would be the Yamaha Reface DX.

But picking up from what Chris said, I'd also consider a small controller to connect to an iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad or iPad Mini.

Reaction score
I have a Juno DS 88 which does all of this, there is a 61 key option too and reasonable priced. Perhaps not as small and portable as you're looking for but it ticks all the boxes and 61 key is fairly portable.

Reaction score
I have a Juno DS 88 which does all of this, there is a 61 key option too and reasonable priced. Perhaps not as small and portable as you're looking for but it ticks all the boxes and 61 key is fairly portable.
Thanks, that's a nice one, and might be a good upgrade from my current 61-key I bring to jams. I wish there was a 37 or 25 key that did something similar.

Reaction score
Thanks, that's a nice one, and might be a good upgrade from my current 61-key I bring to jams. I wish there was a 37 or 25 key that did something similar.

I think as mentioned above, an option could be a small midi controller to use with an iPhone or iPad using garage band. You would need an interface that supports midi in which would probably need a power supply - which defeats the point of the solution I suppose. I use iConnect 4 interface but these are quite pricey.

There may well be other options.

Reaction score
I think as mentioned above, an option could be a small midi controller to use with an iPhone or iPad using garage band. You would need an interface that supports midi in which would probably need a power supply - which defeats the point of the solution I suppose. I use iConnect 4 interface but these are quite pricey.

There may well be other options.
Such an other option might be in Korg's microKey Air range, using Bluetooth.
Note: "MIDI over Bluetooth" requires a "driver" (Windows speak) loaded on the iPhone or iPad. The link is on the webpage mentioned. I think I have another one, too. Do familiarize yourself with the set-up before you go on stage! It's not at all difficult, but this Bluetooth connection just requires one or two extra steps.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You just reminded me of the 20 year old Microkorg. I almost bought one back then.

Maybe scout one out on ebay?

Gary ;)

EDIT >>> It wasn't the Microkorg but named similar. It had 49 mini keys and a bunch of Triton voices and sold for around $500 back then.

Anyone remember the name?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reaction score
EDIT >>> It wasn't the Microkorg but named similar. It had 49 mini keys and a bunch of Triton voices and sold for around $500 back then.

Anyone remember the name?

Sounds like you're thinking of the Triton Taktile, which came in 25 and 49 key sizes.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Nope. This was around 3 or 4 years before the Taktile.

And the Taktile had full sized keys.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That was it. The Microstation.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a portable keyboard (25 or 37 keys) that can do the following:

- Battery operation
- A lot of built-in sounds, or downloadable, quickly selectable via direct buttons or presets
- Transpose & octave shift on the fly
- Drum pads would be nice, perhaps doubling as sound selector buttons
- OK if programmable through a PC interface, but has to be able to play offline

For travel I currently have a Yamaha PSS-A50 which is not bad, but has limited sounds and is a little bulky. I thought the Akai MiniPlay Mk3 was the answer, and it's a neat little unit, but the sounds are not that great, and it cannot transpose except through a PC, which is a deal-killer. I've even contemplated getting a full-size keyboard with the features I want and physically modifying it in a smaller package, but I imagine that would be impractical. Can anyone help?
Available at different shops worldwide - its about 66euros

Reaction score
That was it. The Microstation.

Not ben available in years, other than used, but it has 61 keys, not 32-37 as he asks for, there are better options now, Levi

Reaction score
The Roland Juno DS-61 is a great option. It’s on sale for 699.00. I paid 100.00 more for mine, but as far as bang for the buck, it’s hard to beat. Just my opinion…

Ask a Question