User error or does my keyboard need repair

Reaction score
In using the style recommendation I can play the full keyboard that is right and left hand. When I manually use the style my left hand doesn’t play as piano but bass guitar. What is going on? I have a Yamaha DGX 650.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It sounds like you've got the keyboard's SPLIT feature turned on. I think the default Split Voice on most Yamaha keyboards is a Bass Guitar voice. If you'd rather not use a Bass Guitar voice for the left hand, just choose a different Split Voice.

For example, you can set the Split Voice to the same Voice Number as the Main Voice, then apply different settings to it if desired, such as choosing a different volume, pan, octave offset, reverb depth, and chorus depth than are used for the Main Voice.

I think the DGX-650 also has an auto accompaniment fingering mode that lets you turn off the SPLIT feature and use the full width of the keyboard for detecting which chord to use for the style.

Reaction score
It sounds like you've got the keyboard's SPLIT feature turned on. I think the default Split Voice on most Yamaha keyboards is a Bass Guitar voice. If you'd rather not use a Bass Guitar voice for the left hand, just choose a different Split Voice.

For example, you can set the Split Voice to the same Voice Number as the Main Voice, then apply different settings to it if desired, such as choosing a different volume, pan, octave offset, reverb depth, and chorus depth than are used for the Main Voice.

I think the DGX-650 also has an auto accompaniment fingering mode that lets you turn off the SPLIT feature and use the full width of the keyboard for detecting which chord to use for the style.
Thank you so much for your response. I have tried using the piano split voice but the sound is very distorted. Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Stock answer

Save user data

Perform a Factory Reset.

On a Yamaha it is typically press and hold furthest right key then power on.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
As I alluded to in my first reply, the DFX-650 has a "chord fingering" mode that lets you use the entire keyboard for controlling the chord progressions of the auto accompaniment.

What I'm not sure about is whether you still need to play a key to the left of the Split Point, or whether you can just play keys to the right of the Split Point.

So I'm going to make a suggestion for you to try, but I'm not sure whether it will work as I'm hoping.

First, set the Split Point as low as possible (A-1 or 021), so you can use as many keys as possible for the Main Voice. See page 61 of the DGX-650 Owner's Manual.

Next, set the Chord Fingering to "FullKeyboard" or 2. This is also shown on page 61.

Finally, select the desired Style, turn on the Auto Accompaniment, start the Style playback, and play on the entire keyboard (minus the lowest A key) using the Main Voice, to see if the chord progressions change correctly while you're playing.

You mentioned that the sound is distorted. Is that only when playing with the Split Voice, or only when playing with certain Voices, or what?

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your response. I have tried using the piano split voice but the sound is very distorted. Any other suggestions?
As I alluded to in my first reply, the DFX-650 has a "chord fingering" mode that lets you use the entire keyboard for controlling the chord progressions of the auto accompaniment.

What I'm not sure about is whether you still need to play a key to the left of the Split Point, or whether you can just play keys to the right of the Split Point.

So I'm going to make a suggestion for you to try, but I'm not sure whether it will work as I'm hoping.

First, set the Split Point as low as possible (A-1 or 021), so you can use as many keys as possible for the Main Voice. See page 61 of the DGX-650 Owner's Manual.

Next, set the Chord Fingering to "FullKeyboard" or 2. This is also shown on page 61.

Finally, select the desired Style, turn on the Auto Accompaniment, start the Style playback, and play on the entire keyboard (minus the lowest A key) using the Main Voice, to see if the chord progressions change correctly while you're playing.

You mentioned that the sound is distorted. Is that only when playing with the Split Voice, or only when playing with certain Voices, or what?
Thank you so much, setting the split point to A-1 worked, along with Full Keyboard. Very grateful.

Ask a Question