Downloading from Axial to the DS61

Reaction score
I’m new to the DS61. I currently play a Nord keyboard as my main board and a Juno D as my secondary. While the Juno D still fills a role, I love the sounds available on the Axial website.

I can download sounds specific to the DS61 with no problem but when I try to download the older ones for the Juno Di (XV-5080 sound banks) I get garbage files. What’s the trick? I’m told these sounds are compatible with the DS61 and that the DS61 And Juno Di share the same synth engine and there should be no problem. Finding out it just ain’t so. Anybody got a solution on how to get those XV-5080 sounds into the DS61?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'd like to know the answer to this one myself.

I guess the best solution is to ask Roland Tech Support directly and post the answer here.

I'll get back to you if I find and answer and if you find out first then by all means post it here.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
From what I gathered on the web I think you have to use the Patch Librarian Software from Roland to load the JXL files.

My DS is not hooked up to a computer so I cannot test this theory out.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary. I will look into that. It's odd the JUNO DS specific sounds can be downloaded directly to my computer without the Librarian while the VX-5080 downloads render garbage files.

Ed

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Juno DS sounds are .BIN files while the DI sounds are JXL.

Probably some sort of Java XML file.

Let us know if you get them working.

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals,

I know this is a bit late in the day, ie by about 18 months, but, having found this thread in my search for the answer to the question "how do you load XV-5080 preset collections onto your Juno DS-61 using the .jxl files downloaded from - http://axial.roland.com/category/juno-ds61_juno-ds88_xps-30/ " I thought I'd add my experience to hopefully help any other who arrive here.

It was a bit of a fiery trial as doing stuff for the first time can be, but having succeeded in loading Bank E successfully I'm sure the following banks will slot in less painfully. Ok, so here is what worked for me.

I'm using a Juno DS-61 loaded with the 2.1 (latest) version of it's firmware (easily downloadable, if needed).
Not that it really matters but I'm also using a Mac, running High Sierra to run Roland's Librarian software that's needed to unpack, sort and upload the much maligned .jxl files to one's precious DS-61 (or 76 or 88).

Instructions on how to do this are said, on the download page of the XV-5080 files, to be packed along with the download zip - unfortunately they are not, but don't be deterred.

The only instructions I needed were contained in the Help section of the Librarian software itself AND also in the Parameter Guide to the DS-61.

1. Firstly, you will need a USB cable to connect your computer to the DS-61- same sort used for most printers. NB. I would strongly suggest you back up you DS-61 before going any further, just in case.

2. To enable communications via this cable, as usual, you'll need to download the relevant USB driver from Roland, making sure you pick the one for you operating system - in my case Mac OS 10.13. Take care to follow all the instructions about when to plug in cables and when and in what order to switch stuff on and off - I did come up against brick walls in this department by simply not reading all the rules.

3. Having got Librarian up and running, on the Mac, and talking to the DS-61, I simply dragged and dropped my .jxl file into a newly created Library Window. At this stage, you should be able to see, in Librarian, a graphical representation of your DS-61's user patch (or Performance or Drumset) area; although it'll probably be blank (at this stage it only knows that it's there, not what's in it) - if you want (like me) to verify that you are indeed connected, you can ask Librarian to Read your DS-61's user area into one of it's windows. Assuming you have saved at least one patch (or performance etc) to your DS-61 user area it will be read into Librarian at this stage and you'll get that warm fuzzy feeling that I experienced - It works!

4. Having imported the .jxl file into that fresh Library window, you can then copy and paste (nb Roland refer to Pasting as Inserting in this context) all or some of the newly expanded patches from the Library window into the Main window. NB at this stage check that you've actually backed up your DS-61 as we're getting very close to the bit where it's possible to overwrite you own precious creations.

5. If you have a lot of User patches already, or they're spread out all over the User area, this is a good time for some spring cleaning; delete any you don't want or, at least save them elsewhere, and then group the remainder together in a safe corner.

6. What I did next was simply to cut and paste the entire contents of the Library window ( ie XV-5080 preset Bank E - 128 patches) into an area of the Main window that DIDN'T contain any of my existing USER patches.

6 a) Edit: In the process of upload my next Bank I realised I'd forgotten a step in the communication process (ie. I made the same mistake both times). What I should have mentioned was that - before Writing data from Librarian to the DS-61 you need change or check a Midi setting, otherwise it doesn't work and you get an error message. You won't have this problem if you read the instructions carefully, but if, like me, you haven't, do this - "Setup > Setup Midi devices > Juno DS > Input AND Output must both read JUNO-DS" I needed to change the Output to JUNO-DS and I had to do this each time; it seems to default to a DAW setting or something>

7. Next, I Selected the patches I wanted to upload to the DS-61; in this case all of them, and clicked on the button in Librarian that said "Write/Selected". NB If you haven't Read your current user bank into Librarian and you click on "Write/All", your existing user patches on the DS-61 will be over-written.

8. Once this was completed, I was amply rewarded with seeing these 128 XV-5080 patches sitting neatly in the DS-61 user patch area and my existing patch (I've only had it a couple of days:)) still where I left it.

9. What I did then, bearing in my the limited size of the User patch area, was to audition each of these 128 new patches (on the DS-61) and, for each one I rejected, I simply deleted from the Librarian's Main window and went on to the next one.

10. When patches are deleted on the Librarian, the patch area becomes empty (init). At this stage you may (like me) need to move the remaining successful patches about a bit until they are in a suitable location, ie. in a corner, all together, and sorted to your liking.

11. Finally you can get it to do the Writing thing again. Be careful to include and initialized patches, if you're doing "Write/Select", as in this way, you will make sure all the audition rejects get deleted. And if you do "Write/All", make sure your existing personal patches are included in the Main window.

12. Ok don't forget to back up all this hard work AND it's probably a good idea to call it something else so you don't overwrite your old backup; just in case...

13. Now, having slimmed down Bank n, you can do it all again with your second favorite Bank or whatever.

Hope this helps!

PS. You may have read that you can only load 2 of these XV-5080 banks into the DS-61. This is partly true in that the user bank has 256 patch slots and each XV-5080 bank contains 128 patches. However, by auditioning the patches yourself, you slim down each download (I only kept around 30 of the 128 in Bank E) you can then load an eclectic bunch from all, or most, of the banks on offer.

Last edited:

Ask a Question