Drum triggers for RD-2000?

Reaction score
I just bought a Roland RD-2000 in great condition and have had a great time getting to know it over the past few weeks.

Interestingly, although my two boys (ages 12 and 16) show no interest in learning piano, both of them have surprised me by picking up a pair of drum sticks from time to time and tapping along on a couple of cardboard boxes while I play. Frankly, it was pretty fun.

I looked for a used electronic drum set but didn't find anything locally which seemed to fit the bill. I'm wondering if it would be possible (or feasible) to buy a couple of drum triggers/pads and use them to access and play the drum kits in the RD-2000. Has anyone done this? Did it work well?

If one or both shows interest in drumming, I would likely look to purchase a full electronic set for them. However, I was thinking about trying something smaller first to gauge their interest.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Alesis Samplepad sounds like a good bet for your needs. I own one attached to a Gibraltar Electronic Drum Stand.

8 Velocity Sensitive Pads, about a dozen built in kits, the ability to load additional samples and fully MIDI class compliant USB and DIN MIDI ports.

It can be used to trigger drums from your RD-2000 or plug it directly to an amp and it will stand on it's own.

Cheaper than most of the competition, I would classify it as a semi professional grade instrument fully capable of fitting in a showbar or lounge act type of scenario.

Some interesting hits come up when I search Sample Pad Pro on Amazon.

I own the pro version but there's a whole range of knockoffs and different models.

There's an off brand that sounds pretty good on paper but the reviews are horrible. I would steer clear of this one if I were you.

Also you might want to introduce them to other percussion instruments.

I also have a set of Bongos and a Steel Tongue Tank Drum in my living room setup.

I think this is how the Osmond Family got started :D :D :D

studio-b-20201230T095128-0001.jpeg

Feel free to explore all the options. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The Alesis Samplepad sounds like a good bet for your needs. I own one attached to a Gibraltar Electronic Drum Stand.

8 Velocity Sensitive Pads, about a dozen built in kits, the ability to load additional samples and fully MIDI class compliant USB and DIN MIDI ports.

It can be used to trigger drums from your RD-2000 or plug it directly to an amp and it will stand on it's own.

Cheaper than most of the competition, I would classify it as a semi professional grade instrument fully capable of fitting in a showbar or lounge act type of scenario.

Some interesting hits come up when I search Sample Pad Pro on Amazon.

I own the pro version but there's a whole range of knockoffs and different models.

There's an off brand that sounds pretty good on paper but the reviews are horrible. I would steer clear of this one if I were you.

Also you might want to introduce them to other percussion instruments.

I also have a set of Bongos and a Steel Tongue Tank Drum in my living room setup.

I think this is how the Osmond Family got started :D :D :D

View attachment 2074

Feel free to explore all the options. :)

Gary ;)

Very helpful. Thanks!

Reaction score
You may want to check one of these.
1609947249909.png
It does not have MIDI out or dynamics, but the built-in sounds are pretty decent. All in all this could be not a bad choice for a beginner kid.

Ask a Question