Triggering drum loops live as a substitute for drummer

Reaction score
What are my software/VST (64 bit PC) options for triggering drum loops or patterns as a substitute for a live drummer? I’m building a duo/trio and want to use MIDI control buttons to trigger intro, rolls, verse, chorus, bridge, ending, etc. Wanting to eliminate the need for any additional hardware (drum machine) or control surface. I have a Studiologic controller with 8 MIDI assignable buttons. Using Cantabile as my live VST host, and would like to call up the drum patterns/loops per song in each preset. Ease of use and cost are main concerns.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. I would offer that it is a lot of work to set-up and program custom drum tracks and manage them live on stage. I would suggest an alternate of pre-recording (audio) of the drum track + click (with count-in) for each song. Mix down the drums to one side of a stereo track with the click on the opposite stereo. Save each as an MP3 and use an Iphone or Ipad for playback at the gig. It's low cost too. YMMV Don

Reaction score
Thanks. I am considering that, as Cantabile (my VST host) has a nice built in backing track feature. BUT - if we’re playing “Riders on the Storm”
And want to extend a lead, we lose that option. Still looking for a triggering the song my segment option.

Ask a Question