Trouble recording with drum beat w/o accompaniment on dgx-660

Reaction score
Hi folks... I'm trying to record a piano section with an accompanying rhythm from the style button on the dgx 660. Every time I try to record it with the live drum beat the accompaniment control kicks in and automatically puts chords in my left hand which I do not want. I simply want to record a piano part with a rhythm behind it period... what am I doing wrong? The manual is weak in this regard...

3dc

Reaction score
From what I can understand you are trying to record your own drums without style drums from DGX. Simple solution would be to record in your DAW live drums and DGX660 part each on their own track and then combine them both. In E463 you have track control where you can disable some accompaniment parts but I am not really sure this is available on DGX.
@SeaGtGruff and other members might know a better solution.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't have experience or access to a DGX-660, so I can make a suggestion or two but have no idea if they'll work.

Idea 1: Set the Split Point to 021 (A-1, the leftmost key on the keyboard). Hopefully the accompaniment will play a rhythm but your playing won't trigger any chords. Make sure the Chord Fingering isn't set to Full Keyboard.

Idea 2: Set the Split Point to 036 (C1). Start recording and playing, trying not to use the keys to the left of C1 for your performance. However, as soon as the accompaniment begins to play, try to press the A#-1, A0, and B0 keys at the same time (the lowest black key, plus the A and B keys which are an octave above) to see if that toggles on the "No Chord" option.

Idea 3: Find an external style file that has the rhythm you want to use, and use a third-party utility like MixMaster to remove all of the style parts except the drums and percussion, so you can use the modified style file.

Reaction score
From what I can understand you are trying to record your own drums without style drums from DGX. Simple solution would be to record in your DAW live drums and DGX660 part each on their own track and then combine them both. In E463 you have track control where you can disable some accompaniment parts but I am not really sure this is available on DGX.
@SeaGtGruff and other members might know a better solution.
Hey thanks so much for responding, but no sorry, you missed my point. I am trying to use the built-in drum kit. I'm simply trying to play a piano piece with drums (built-in or "style") without the accompaniment automatically triggering. Give it a try on yours and see if you can make it happen. Thanks!

Reaction score
I don't have experience or access to a DGX-660, so I can make a suggestion or two but have no idea if they'll work.

Idea 1: Set the Split Point to 021 (A-1, the leftmost key on the keyboard). Hopefully the accompaniment will play a rhythm but your playing won't trigger any chords. Make sure the Chord Fingering isn't set to Full Keyboard.

Idea 2: Set the Split Point to 036 (C1). Start recording and playing, trying not to use the keys to the left of C1 for your performance. However, as soon as the accompaniment begins to play, try to press the A#-1, A0, and B0 keys at the same time (the lowest black key, plus the A and B keys which are an octave above) to see if that toggles on the "No Chord" option.

Idea 3: Find an external style file that has the rhythm you want to use, and use a third-party utility like MixMaster to remove all of the style parts except the drums and percussion, so you can use the modified style file.
I'll give it a shot. Thanks. it still seems like this should be a very simple thing to do without having to "fool" the keyboard!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
On some PSR-E models this is indeed an easy thing to do, because their six track buttons can be used to toggle the parts of a style on and off, allowing you to turn off everything except the drums part. But based on the information in the manual, it appears that on the DGX-660 those six buttons don't let you toggle the parts of a style on and off.

Reaction score
it's very hard for me to believe there's no way to turn this dumb a compliment left hand courting thing off when all I want to do is play the drums (style) behind an entire piano piece that I am playing with both my right and my left hand. Yamaha....help!!!

Reaction score
Finally found a way to get this to work.
So, i have a yamaha DGX-660.

1. Set the split point to lowest a-2 something like that
  2. Next Press Style, and choose your style
  3. Make sure ACMP is visible on the digital screen
  4. Press REC, THEN press Start button.
  5. This will trigger style to start playing the drums.
  6. Left hand wont trigger chords because of the earlier split point change.
  7. And that's really all you need to do.
It wont work on the first try. It took me half hour to find a combination that works.
Sometimes, i need to record something stupid just to have something on it.
THEN remove the A track, and it will work on next try.

If needed, i can make a youtube video if anyone interested.

Ask a Question