Electro 3 splits and layers

Reaction score
I have this same topic going on a thread on some other forums. I have a beef going regarding the lack of ability to do splits and layers on the Electro 3. I own a Nord C1 and an Electro 3. I love the sounds and retired my real B3 because the Nord is so close to the sound. However, I play in some tight spaces where I can't take both keyboards and I play left hand bass on the Electro 3 but that means no piano or organ in that song without dropping the bass. I spoke to several people at their booth at NAMM about this and the attitude is that since the original keyboards didn't have splits why would I want that on the Electro. The Nord Piano has splits and layers so why doesn't this policy apply to that unit?

The Nord Stage 2 would be nice and it does have the splits but it is just too much money for my budget. I could sell the Electro 3 and find a way to get a new Electro but it looks like I'll be forced to add another smaller keyboard to do bass and it will be another thing to carry and take up extra space.

Am I wrong in my desire for the Electro to be the perfect keyboard for my needs?

Reaction score
Exactly one of the reasons why I didn't buy the NE3. My choices came down to the NE3 and the Kurzweil PC3. The NE3, like the NE2, is a mono-timbral instrument, meaning it plays one voice at a time. you can split the organ into two zones (or send the lower keyboard to a 2nd keyboard) but cannot run two non-organ voices concurrently. So the Electro design has been like this since its introduction. Nord introduced other models (Nord Piano, Stage 2) to do what you're asking. All part of reaching a price point. If you want extra features, you need to pay for them. Or buy a PC3 and get 16 part multitimbral and hundreds of other quality voices (and pay less) ;)

Reaction score
I just stumbled across a Youtube video titled Nord splits and layer samples NE3.
Looks like someone has done some resampling as a work around. It might be worth checking into. Don

Ask a Question