Ensoniq SQ2 power supply issue

Reaction score
Hi, I am hopping someone here can help me. I have an Ensoniq SQ2 synthesizer with a buzzing power supply. My first guess was bad filter caps because the volume of the buzzing is the same no matter what the master volume is set to. I looked on line for a schematic or cap values with no luck and the info printed on the caps is of no help. If anyone here can help with identifying the value of these caps and type ( ceramic? ) that would be great.

Attachments

• cap c3 c4.jpg
    cap c3 c4.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 15
  • power supply.jpg
    power supply.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 14
  • cap c1 c2.jpg
    cap c1 c2.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 12

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First picture is 2200 Microfarads rated 250 V ceramic.

Third picture I don't recognize the markings,

Reaction score
Thank you delaware dave & happyrat1. I am on Syntaurs waiting list for a power supply if I cannot find proper caps to fix mine. Thanks to happyrat1 for value on one pair of caps. I will contact Mouser for these. I'm half way to a quit power supply. I would rather replace 4 caps than the whole power supply. Again, thank you both.

Reaction score
happyrat1. Not yet. I followed the wires from the power supply board to another board ( which I should have done in the first place, live and learn ) and they went right to a row of diodes and electrolytic caps. I found 1 bad solder joint on the power supply board and repaired it but no change. I also disconnected the power supply board from the keyboard, plugged it in and turned it on with no connections to anything and the buzzing was still there. I am on the waiting list at Syntaur for a power supply. Again, thanks for the help.

Reaction score
happyrat1. Not yet. I followed the wires from the power supply board to another board ( which I should have done in the first place, live and learn ) and they went right to a row of diodes and electrolytic caps. I found 1 bad solder joint on the power supply board and repaired it but no change. I also disconnected the power supply board from the keyboard, plugged it in and turned it on with no connections to anything and the buzzing was still there. I am on the waiting list at Syntaur for a power supply. Again, thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Update to my power supply problem. Looks like it is the transformer. It was suggested in another forum that laminates may be loose and vibrating so I did an experiment. I took an all plastic clamp, placed it on the laminates ( see photo ) and the buzzing is almost gone. I just need to figure out a permanent solution.

Attachments

• IMG_20231104_124838[1].jpg
    IMG_20231104_124838[1].jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 8

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Permanent solution is to replace the transformer. Try resoldering xformer leads first to see if that helps.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There are companies in North America who rewire and rejuvenate xformers but they are spendy compared to off-the-shelf solutions.

Reaction score
Update to transformer issue. After some research on the web & youtube it was suggested to paint clear lacquer on the laminates letting it soak in and squeeze them together and let dry and harden. I did that and used 2 thick zip ties to squeeze them together. After a few days I reinstalled the board and put rubber bushings between the board and the aluminum body of the synth to isolate it. The buzzing is all but gone. I have been using it for a couple of weeks now and it is still dead quiet and no funny smells coming from the transformer so nothing seems to be melting. Thanks to everyone for all the help. A happy Ensoniq player.

Ask a Question