Extender Racks or alternative sounds for my Yamaha P120 or Korg M1

Reaction score
I hope this is the correct section :p
I have these electric piano and keyboard and I have been playing them for a while, but now i joined a new group: we play a lot of different kinds of music, from the '60 to these last years, from rithm and blues to progressive rock (just a bit of Pink Floyd, Yes or Genesis).. this variety of genres implies a variety of sounds.
I wouldn't change my keyboards, I'm looking for a way to make them sound different :D.. I'd like to have more and different organs or electric pianos, voices or strings, some kind of electric sounds.. I still don't have a precise idea of what I am looking for!

But I know that I have two choices (please correct me if I am wrong):
- Using an external audio board (like a Tascam US122 or similar) to connect (MIDI+USB) the keyboard to a laptop that has softwares and sounds in it (actually I don't have a clear idea of where the "OUT" wire comes from in that scheme XD)
- Finding some kind of external racks.

The fact is that i'd prefer real devices than softwares but i have the feeling that the extender racks are a bit too expensive considering their versatility.. moreover I'd like to modifly those sounds changing balances or adding effects.

As you all can see I'm a bit confused, that's why I am asking informations here :p!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Personally I think a rack module is the way to go as well. Take a look around on Ebay or Craigslist for a used Korg Triton Rack or used Yamaha Motif rack.

They can be had for a few hundred dollars.

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Otherwise if you insist on buying new, also take a look at the Waldorf Blofeld and the Ketron SD2 or SD1000.

Reaction score
Lorenzo

If money is not too much of an object, you might want to look at the recent Roland Integra-7 module. It is my understanding that it has literally every voice of every Roland synth ever made and is even expandable for the future, but from what you have explained, I think Gary might be right. The Korg Triton Rack might be the way for you to go. Korg seems to have been the favorite of many (most ?) of the popular rock bands through the years.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks a lot to everybody for your suggestions!
I have been looking around in the internet in these past few days to find out the features of each of those devices, and it seems that the Waldorf Blofeld has "editable" sounds as i wanted and the Yamaha Motif rack XS and Korg Triton are full of choices and sounds..
But while i was searching informations I came across the "Korg legacy collection".. a software that emulates the sounds of the various Korg sinths.. it seemed to me something good to begin with before buying a real external device.

Has anyone already tried it? is there a way I can take with me just my yamaha and connect it to my PC to make it sound like the emulator?

Thank you again for your help :D

Ask a Question