Basic tracks?

Reaction score
Hello...
neither the manual nor the vids seem to address this: so basic it hurts.
1. I'd like to record a drum track on track 1, which is labeled, oddly, Drum Track. No can do unless I am in song mode, but I just want to bounce one of the patterns already in the unit.
2. I recorded 2 tracks, but damned if I can (a) play back the 2 tracks simultaneously or (b) control the volume of the playback and the psr separately.
Am I missing something in the manual? Appreciate any instrux/links re this issue.
Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all what make and model keyboard?

Secondly are you trying to record internally or to a computer?

Reaction score
Thanks hr...sorry I left out that minor detail.
Yamaha psr e433
Internal for now.
I'm no good with manuals in general, and My ADD doesn't help, but I wish this one just had a section titled, "How to record a bunch of tracks and listen to em all at once."
Regards
Noob

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
OK, there are other folks on this board better acquainted with the PSR e433 than I am. They should be along shortly.

In the meantime you may want to also repost your questions on this website as well.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/

It's a help site with forums dedicated to the Yamaha PSR series.

Gary

Reaction score
Noob !

The E433 saves ALL recorded passages to User Songs, so even though you want to record a PATTERN, you HAVE to start in SONG Mode in order to select the User "memory slot" where you want it to save your new "SONG", and that MUST be done BEFORE the RECORD button is pressed. Now, so that we both know where we are starting on the keyboard, start with it powered OFF.

Power the keyboard on.

It comes up in VOICE Mode (red VOICE button lit).

Press the SONG button to put it in SONG Mode (red SONG button lit).

With the number key pad, enter the three digit number of an available User Song slot (101 thru 110).

The display will show "User X" (X being the number of the User Song slot you have selected).

If you have no available slots, you can CLEAR one by pressing and holding TRACK CONTROL button 6/A while you press and hold TRACK CONTROL button 1 for more than a second. The keyboard will ask you to confirm by pressing the YES button. If this is a song that you want to keep, make sure you have saved it to a USB flash drive before you CLEAR it.

Press the PATTERN button to go to PATTERN Mode (red PATTERN button lit).

Use the Data Wheel to select the PATTERN you want.

Press the START/STOP button to start the PATTERN so you can audition it as you set it up for recording.

Use the A/B/C/D/E buttons to select the PATTERN SECTION that you want to start with. You can change sections while recording, but you can not change the pattern itself once recording starts.

Use the TRACK CONTROL buttons 1 thru 5 to turn the various parts of the pattern on or off to your taste. The numbers 12345 in the lower right of the display indicate which parts are on or off. You can also turn parts on and off as you record.

Use the TEMPO TAP/-/+ buttons to set the tempo you want.

Press the START/STOP button to stop the audition and get ready for recording.

Press the REC button. The display should show the selected User Song number. If, instead, it shows a warning that "TR1 and TRA will be overwritten", then this is not an empty User slot, and any existing data will be overwritten if you proceed. To back out at this point, just press the REC button again, and it will dump you back into SONG mode.

In the accompaniment (lower) section of the keyboard, play the chord of the key that you want the pattern played in. Recording will begin automatically as soon as you play the chord. You can change chords as the pattern plays. Just remember that this is a very basic groove pattern generator. It only accepts simple major chords - no minors, 7ths, etc. You can also record a melody or lead part in the right section of the keyboard during the process.

When you are finished, press the START/STOP button to stop recording. The display will show "Writing" (takes seemingly forever) and the keyboard reverts to SONG Mode.

Press the START/STOP button to play your new "song".

If you did not record a lead part while recording the pattern, you can add one later by selecting the song in SONG mode, pressing REC and playing your lead part. This automatically records it to Track 1. If you don't like it, just press REC again while in SONG mode and redo it. Your second take will overwrite the first, but it will not touch your recorded pattern. If you want to add a second lead part, press AND HOLD the REC button as you press TRACK CONTROL button 2. You can now record a second lead to Track 2. You can do this all the way up to Track 5. Your pattern is recorded on Track 6 (A).

To adjust the various volumes, momentarily press the FUNCTION button. The display will show "FUNCTION 001" and "StyleVol". When in STYLE Mode you can use this menu and the Data Wheel or +/- buttons on the number key pad to set the Style volume. While still on this screen, press the CATEGORY + button and the display will show "FUNCTION 002" and "SongVol". When in SONG Mode, you can use this menu to set the Song volume. Press the CATEGORY + button again, and the display shows "FUNCTION 003" and "PatrnVol". When in PATTERN Mode, you can use this menu to set the Pattern volume.

Good luck and enjoy !

Last edited:
Reaction score
Whoo doggie!!
Thanks Ted, after applying your posted instrux, I should qualify for an associate's degree in thingology.
Looking forward to days of fun!
Regards
N

Ask a Question