Fats Domino Accompaniment Style (?)

Reaction score
For starters, I should say that I play straight piano and not keyboard. But hopefully someone will nevertheless come forward with a comment.

What I call (for want of a better term) "the Fats Domino accompaniment" is characteristic of him. He does it nearly all the time. You even hear it on old standards like 'I don't want to set the world on fire'.

But what exactly is he doing to get that "ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-tat-tat-ta" sound?

Surely he didn't invent it. How long has it been around?

Thanks in advance for comments.

M

Reaction score
I found a backing track of his classic Blueberry Hill

It may help further

'I don't want to set the world on fire' was written way back in 1938 and an American number 1 by someone I have never heard of but thought it sounded like a song that The Inkspots would do and in 1942 they got their version to number 4 and if you compare their version to that of Fats Domino then I for one hear a lot of similarities.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I seriously doubt a Korg Arranger Style will help a piano player Col.

Here's some concert footage that may help him out though.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Gary

The arranger style is the backing stripped bare, to me it contains what the op is seeking to understand.

How the sound is created.

To me the Fats Domino sound is a synthesis of Swing/Blues/Bee Bop/RnB & RnR

The link gives the backing form, unadorned by any distraction

Reaction score
But what exactly is he doing to get that "ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-tat-tat-ta" sound?
Based on an analysis of the video Gary posted plus listening to a few of his recordings: When he’s playing in 6/8 (eg. Blueberry Hill) he rarely uses the sustain pedal. He also doesn’t overplay, he’s caressing the keys not thrashing them. This allows him to keep that consistent “rat tat tat” as you called it without overwhelming the overall sound of the song.

When he plays a 4/4 shuffle (eg Let The Four Winds Blow) he generally is playing the 1 and 2 with his left and 3 and 4 with his right. Being a shuffle it’s syncopated which gives it that “bouncy” feel. Again very little use of the sustain pedal.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies ... all interesting.
However, I still find it hard to do!
Did Fats Domino originate this style, I wonder?
M

Ask a Question