Problem with distortion Yamaha P515 to mixer

Reaction score
This problem is stumping me. I run the outs from the back L/R 1/4" cables (good cables) to a Pyle PMXU63BT 6chan mixer, very low volume on the board, a little bit of gain on the mixer and it sounds like crap. Every time I look for an answer they don't seem to make sense or just plain don't work. Is there a solution I am unaware of>?

Reaction score
Sorry if you've already tried these troubleshooting sugs:
- Different cables
- Different mixer
- Distorrtion thru headphones on the board?
- Mono vs stereo
- Other sound sources into the board using same cables
- Where are you getting distortion? Speakers, headphones; might not be the sound source but the amp/speaker chain

Hope this helps

Reaction score
Sorry if you've already tried these troubleshooting sugs:
- Different cables
- Different mixer
- Distorrtion thru headphones on the board?
- Mono vs stereo
- Other sound sources into the board using same cables
- Where are you getting distortion? Speakers, headphones; might not be the sound source but the amp/speaker chain

Hope this helps
Hello and thank you for your reply.

Different cables? Yep. Tried, no problem, input a different synth and that was okay but not great.
Different mixer - yes, tried that too, went from a digital Pyle to an analog Tascam, seemed okay for other things but not the piano
YES, distortion thru the headphones, since I don't use speakers due to the housing situation where I live, so I am using a pair of Sennheiser radio headphones, they are getting old, and need replacement, but I don't think that was the piano because I play it with those phones always and not problem.
I will try using my near field monitors to test before I give up hope, but I am going to replace the headphones with a bluetooth set and broadcaster. It's time. I'll try the speaker arrangement in a couple of days and if magic happens I will let you know. Thank you!

Reaction score
More information on your setup is required for comprehensive advice such as:
What cables are you using for the connections, balanced or unbalanced, jack or RCA plugs?
Where are your inputs to the mixer connected, channel inputs I assume but are they set for mic/instrument or line input?
Have you set your gain structure properly? The gain control for each mixer channel needs setting for high signal to noise ratio so high as possible until the peak led shows distortion then down a few db for headroom, do this before setting output levels on the channel and output bus faders. The output level from your keyboard should be set fairly high before setting the gain on the mixer, then leave it alone and only control your levels from the mixer.

Reaction score
Looking at your mixer manual I see you have a Pad switch for each channel, is this On (Led lit)?
If it is on it will cut the level of your input and shold only be used if your input signal is too hot so try switching it off, bring the Gain control right down first then switch off the Pad before slowly raising the Gain control while playing your instrument until the Gain Led starts lighting then backoff a little.

Reaction score
Hey Stilli, sorry to get back to you so late, crazy busy. Let's see. Cables for connectors are unbalanced 1/4" jacks but they are shielded. The go into a channel set for instruments, the pads are not on. I will try to set the levels as you indicate. Funny but I had an Ensoniq TS12 that never had this problem.... also going to check my other board for the same issue. I appreciate your help.

Ask a Question