GM2+ and System Common

Reaction score
Do you reckon we should get the old (existing) Midi System Common song select message upgraded to allow banks selection as well?

Like under GM1 and 2 (which is why I wrote GM2+ as the MMA is looking at updating it I think) , you can only select via midi, from one bank of 0-127 songs, wouldn't it be handy to be able to access more banks?

What do folks think?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That would be a terrific addition, but I really cannot see how it would work as compatible with the old standards.

Also all existing manufacturers would not be happy if they had to remap their proprietary banks to a new MIDI voicemap.

All in all GM has served us all well enough for almost 35 years and most sequencers and keyboards still default to it when compatibility is an issue.

Gary

Reaction score
Ahh Gary, thanks but I think you missed I am talking about System Common Mesaages, NOT remapping voice banks at all...the FA (Song Start, FB Song continue and FC song stop, with F3 nn (nn being the song number in the bank). These are system messages that actually select a midi file, not a patch bank. Gm2 already has multi bank (or MSB/LSB) selection capability.

Ask a Question