Hammond similars

Reaction score
I'm looking for a stage/studio keyboard. I want the B3 sound but I'm just wondering if there's keyboards other than Hammond with pretty much the same sound. I see the Hammond XK series is usually around $2000 which I can do but maybe there's something more synth/midi that would do the same job.

Reaction score
There are MANY keyboards that produce the Hammond/Leslie sound and also there are also some that provide synth (they all pretty much do MIDI). What is your budget and what other features are you looking for other than B3/leslie and synth? Piano? horns? strings? electric pianos? Again, the list of keyboards can be fairly extensive; so understanding your needs, budget, weight requirements would be a big help.

Check these: Nord Electro 3; Roland VR09, Kurzweil PC3K series, Casio WXP1, Hammond XK series, Hammond SK series, and many others. You can also buy a synth and run a Roland VK-8m (organ/leslie module) through MIDI. So to steer you in the right direction, answering the questions above including budget really helps us to help you. Also, you could perhaps go the other way, meaning a keyboard that is B3/leslie centric and purchase a synth module run through MIDI...

Reaction score
Thx for your extensive reply. Maybe a one does it all unit is not the way to go. I'd like to keep it under $2500. I'd like the B3 sound along wtih some kind of synth capability and piano. I was looking into this question last week and came across the FL Studio which I just forgot about until now. Someone as well as their ads said you can get the B3 sound from FL so if that's true and for $300 well...But is the FL Studio really a practical substitute for stage keyboard playing. Or is there a Hammond plug in with the Studio? I have a Yamaha PL120 with midi, electronic piano and jazz organ voices. Never used the midi.

Reaction score
The Yamaha P120 is a 88 key graded hammer action keyboard, which is undesirable for organ playing but great for piano playing. I am surmising that you are ok playing b3 emulations from weighted keys (something I am unaccustomed to doing). If you are stepping into VST plug-ins you might want to purchase VB3, which is about the best B3/leslie simulation going. I'm a hardware guy (meaning hardware synth's, not plug-ins) so I can't comment on FL Studio. If you go the plug in route with Ivory II for piano, VB3 for B3/leslie then you would for sure be able to keep your price way under $2500. If your P120 will be your controller, you might want to consider a MOTIF rack to get most of your sounds and VB3 specifically for B3/leslie. I'm sure others on the forum will chime in with their recommendations.

Reaction score
Cheers delaware dave. Tell deric about your Neo Vent too. I imagine his thread will come up in plenty of searches. Lot of people interested in the Hammond sound - and I'm not seeing that interest wane.

It's November 2013 if anyone is reading this in the future and hasn't noticed the posting dates - in case it's a few years from now and there's new stuff out. Good suggestions above.

Reaction score
Dave's right on with his advice. I'm a hardware guy too, and also have a lot of experience with computers and midi gear. If you're not experienced using midi, you might want to stick with hardware rather than VST's. I have owned and gigged with real Hammonds, so I prefer hardware with drawbars. Don

Ask a Question