Hammond XK1-c, Crumar Mojo 61 or Nord Electro 6D?

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently using a Hammond XK1 for live gigs which I've been really happy with. However, it has had a very hard life on the road and now needs to be replaced. I've tried the newer Hammond SK1 but personally preferred the overall sound of the XK1 though I preferred the Leslie emulation in the SK1. As a result I'm considering one of the following options :-

Hammond XK1-c
Crumar Mojo 61
Nord Electro 6D

These all appeal to me for different reasons.

Hammond XK1-c - From what I've heard of this online it sounds very similar to my current XK1 but the Leslie sounds improved. It doesn't sound as digital and bright as the SK1.

Crumar Mojo 61 - I like that Crumar makes a second lower manual because for some gigs I really miss having two manuals. The Mojo 61 also has some very nice additional sounds (acoustic piano, Rhodes, Wurlitzer, Clavinet)

Nord Electro 6D - This obviously comes with tons of great sounds which could be useful for smaller gigs where I don't want to carry my main stage piano as well. However, the Electro 6D is around the same price as the others and considering it packs in SO many other sounds and features I'm wondering if the actual Hammond sound is lacking in comparison?)

At the end of the day the most important thing is how good the actual Hammond and Leslie sounds on these. I mainly play gospel, jazz and funk and having a second manual would be great. I have a M-Audio Code 61 midi controller keyboard which I could connect to the main keyboard but I've always found it doesn't quite feel right mainly because of positioning issues!?

What would you recommend?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! I'm a "Hammond guy" from years gone by but my back can't handle heavy gear anymore. I use clones along with a Neo Ventilator Leslie 122 modeling pedal and get good sound with that pedal. There are lots of good clones now days, but don't reject any one for poor Leslie sim if you really like the other features. A Neo Ventilator is the best clone invention in the past 30 years. Don

Reaction score
"... At the end of the day the most important thing is how good the actual Hammond and Leslie sounds on these......

....... I have an M-Audio Code 61 midi controller keyboard which I could connect to the main keyboard but I've always found it doesn't quite feel right mainly because of positioning issues!?

Your second point is about setting up a 2nd k/b as a lower manual and not liking the positioning. If this is a serious consideration then this rules out the E6 and XK1c as there is no lower k/b option that would make it comfortable from a positioning point of view. Only the mojo offers the optional lower k/b that is spaced like a B3.
As far as point 1 I've played the XK1c, the E5 (same organ as the E6), owned and sold the XM2 (rack version of your XK1) and currently own the Gemini module (Mojo in a rack). I, like you, want the best hammond/leslie sound. I've been playing clones long enough that the layout is not as important to me, but the sound needs to be. My choice would be the Mojo, it has 22 different organ models in it, ranging from various A100's, B3's, C3's from the late 50's, 60's and early 70's. The Mojo has the most accurate C/V that I have heard from any clone (a weakness of both the XK1c and the E6). The Mojo recently (last 6 months) had the leslie updated and sounds quite good. I use the Mojo with its own leslie and also use the Ventilator. The Vent has a different sound than the Mojo's leslie. Depending on the type of gig dictates which leslie sim I use. From an organ tone perspective the Mojo sounds outstanding. One organ you didnt mention but should be considered is the Viscount Legend. They make a single manual (The Solo) and a double manual. The one advantage of the Viscount is the authentic layout. The double manual version's layout is identical to a B3, so it takes all of two seconds to figure it out. You might want to take a look at this as well. Soundwise I would rate the Mojo and the Viscount over the XK1c and the E5. The Mojo also offers an outstanding Wurli, Rhodes and Clav. They're not just bonus sounds, they are outstanding physical modeled sounds.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hammond XK1-c - From what I've heard of this online it sounds very similar to my current XK1 but the Leslie sounds improved. It doesn't sound as digital and bright as the SK1.
Interesting, I thought the XK1-c had the same organ sound as the SK1.

Nord Electro 6D - This obviously comes with tons of great sounds which could be useful for smaller gigs where I don't want to carry my main stage piano as well. However, the Electro 6D is around the same price as the others and considering it packs in SO many other sounds and features I'm wondering if the actual Hammond sound is lacking in comparison?)
It's subjective, but most people seem to think Mojo sounds better, with more of a split as to preferring Hammond vs. Nord. But different people focus on different things. The "organ sound" itself is only one factor... there's the sound of the C/V, the percussion, the rotary sim, the overdrive... for example, personally, I don't care much about C/V... but I'm fussy about overdrive, which is someplace I think Nord has the edge over Hammond. Others will come to a different conclusion. I think this also relates somewhat to the type of playing you do... i.e. rock vs. jazz vs. gospel.

Also, the feel of the action and the operational ergonomics can make a big difference to some players.

At the end of the day the most important thing is how good the actual Hammond and Leslie sounds on these.
As others have alluded to, cost aside, you can kind of take Leslie out of the equation by adding a Vent to anything. So you can choose based on everything else, and if you're not quite there with the internal sim, almost certainly address that with the Vent.

One more wrinkle... if the #1 priority is the sound, you could also consider something like a Surface Pro tablet running any of a number of organ VSTs. The Mojo is based on the VB3 VST, which is very popular, but some people find other VSTs to be even better... you could look at Blue3 from GG, B5 from Acoustic Samples, B-3X from IK Multimedia. But again, that's in the context of putting sound above everything else. Action, trigger point, the ability to have the sound instantly match the drawbar positions, could be some advantages of sticking with hardware.

One other clone worth considering that has not been mentioned is the Numa Organ 2. Well-priced with a very nice action and excellent rotary sim.

the E5 (same organ as the E6)
Not exactly the same. E6 seems to be based on the Stage 3 organ, which took out some E5 options, like the maximum leakage and click settings (unfortunately). Also the drawbar-robbing percussion setting and some of the rotor/horn balance options, IIRC. (Also, I was similarly under the impression that the XM2 was sonically identical to the XK1 as you said, though someone posted somewhere that they were not quite identical... but I have no personal confirmation of that either way. Heck, I was surprised to hear the OP say that the SK1 and XK-1 sounded different!)

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently using a Hammond XK1 for live gigs which I've been really happy with. However, it has had a very hard life on the road and now needs to be replaced. I've tried the newer Hammond SK1 but personally preferred the overall sound of the XK1 though I preferred the Leslie emulation in the SK1. As a result I'm considering one of the following options :-

Hammond XK1-c
Crumar Mojo 61
Nord Electro 6D

These all appeal to me for different reasons.

Crumar Mojo 61 - I like that Crumar makes a second lower manual because for some gigs I really miss having two manuals. The Mojo 61 also has some very nice additional sounds (acoustic piano, Rhodes, Wurlitzer, Clavinet)

At the end of the day the most important thing is how good the actual Hammond and Leslie sounds on these. I mainly play gospel, jazz and funk and having a second manual would be great. I have a M-Audio Code 61 midi controller keyboard which I could connect to the main keyboard but I've always found it doesn't quite feel right mainly because of positioning issues!?

What would you recommend?

I’m a gigging musician but let me say that I’m a pianist at heart. I do need organ for my gigs and I have a Nord Electro 6D. I had an Electro 4 and quite frankly, I thought the organ, B3 sounds were much easier to use and sounded a bit more analog or throaty if you will. I will say the Nord is a breeze to carry and can do a lot of things. I do like that you can set up a dual manual system on a single keyboard...however you still will not have control of a dual manual keyboard. Now, about replacing your stage piano for smaller gigs...yeah, but, you will not be a fan of the Nord action. As for the sound, almost....but I still carry my Yamaha P255. Also, compared to my Kurzweil, the Nord has some serious layering and split deficiencies. I can comment on those later if you want.

Reaction score
Might be a bit late here.. But I have both the SK1 & the Nord ELectro6. I like to program the board patches with the set list. As we change the list every gig.. I need an easy way to do it. The NORD, hands down is about the easiest I've found since the old Jung G.
I used to take the SK1 also to gigs... just leave it on B3 usuallly... BUT, with the Nords ability to switch on (or off) Organ/Piano/Synth... I can do a horn or string part, a piano art, and an organ part all on the same patch just toggling a button... AND, if theres a pitch shift in the song... heck, I jut hit the transpose button, the heck with changing keys...

Reaction score
I would agree with a lot of what has been said.
Especially NB: re reliability and the availability of parts: I have recently found out that Crumar will not sell or supply parts for any of their instruments out of the warranty period. I have a Mojo 61 with a fault and effectively they told me it can’t be fixed as they will not supply parts and the nearest “authorised service centre” is themselves - in Italy - & I’m in the UK!
I have only just sold my Nord electro 5D which I wish I’d kept now will probably buy another.

Reaction score
Thankfully, never even heard of Crumar.... Of the Korg Triton Extreme, Hammond SK and the Nord Elecro 6... The only one that gigs anymore is the NORD (haven't even switched on the others in a couple of years). I find it does anything and everything needed for new country. oh, maybe wish it had a pitch wheel on it for some "steel guitar"... but.....

Reaction score
I did see on another Forum that someone with a Crumar that was out of warranty that required some part and Crumar refused to supply the part.

So due diligence folks if you are considering buying one or even any keyboard which has questionable support in the Country that you reside.

Ask a Question