Hello and please help!

Reaction score
Greetings all! I am brand new to this forum. I am not properly speaking a keyboard player, it is one of many tools in my studio. I have a Roland Fantom G8 that has served me well over six years. I recently bought a new computer that came with Windows 10 and I just found out that Roland does not make a driver to allow the G8 ro communicated with Windows 10. Because I am also a MIDI idiot, I was wondering... my Focusrite Liquid 56 interface has MIDI in and the G8 has MIDI out, would it be possible for the keyboard to communicated with my DAW through the interface as a MIDI device for the purpose of controlling VST instruments in the DAW? or would I still need the Windows 10 driver, which of course doesn't exist? Thanks for the help! hope to learn lots in this forum...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Good news Pepe and welcome aboard.

Your Roland can communicate just fine with your DAW using any USB to MIDI class compliant interface.

You will require two 5 pin DIN MIDI cables and you will hook the MIDI OUT on the Roland to the MIDI IN on the interface and vice versa with the second cable.

This will allow full communication between your DAW and the Fantom.

Note you will also have to update your DAW settings to recognize the MIDI port and your Fantom's device.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're very welcome Pepe.

Also note that MIDI does not transmit audio data. Any audio signals you want sent to the computer will require standard patch cables from your keys or mixer to the computer's audio in or the input on your interface.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question