Help. Casio CTK-2300 headphone jack broke off in output

Reaction score
Hi
Please could you help with some advice. My daughters headphone jack broke off in the output and my daughter used tweezers to extract and has damaged the output. The keyboard will not play sound as it still thinks the headphones are connected. Is it possible to get the output replaced? And would you know approx how much this repair might cost?
Any help greatly appreciated my daughter is crest fallen :-(

Attachments

• DC378913-3074-47EE-A971-0D555F42243D.jpeg
    DC378913-3074-47EE-A971-0D555F42243D.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 487
  • 73839ACC-0BA8-4549-BC82-9BE04AEC54AA.jpeg
    73839ACC-0BA8-4549-BC82-9BE04AEC54AA.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 350

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you can live without headphones the simplest solution might be to desolder the headphone jack and remove it completely.

Otherwise you'd probably have a hard time locating a pin compatible replacement jack.

If you are not comfortable with a soldering iron, a tech would probably remove it for you for $50 and if he can locate a replacement it would probably cost anywhere from $100 to $150 to replace.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
and my daughter used tweezers to extract
Tweezers are useless. They have no strength. You need to use multi grips. These have a strong leverage. Some have a knurled knob to tighten the griip so you can grag the stuck in bit and pull it out. But I think a simple piers would have enough strength to extaxt the stubborn bit.

This is a much cheaper repair than soldering and still allows for headphone use without damage.

If you do not own multigrips; go and buy some. A cheap repair after all.

Ray

Reaction score
A suitably sized pair of needle nosed pliers of this type
may well work to extract the offending part of the headphone jack.

If you cannot then a replacement socket will be required.

A headphone socket is a feed through item where the left and right channels that feed the speakers or line out sockets are broken when the headphone jack is inserted.

So removing the damaged socket will still require some soldering work to reinstate the circuits.

If you cannot find a direct replacement headphone socket you could always add in a replacement somewhere in the keyboards case and use flying leads to connect it to the keyboard’s circuit board.

Reaction score
What a difference a language makes.

My original apprenticeship was as a Mechanical Engineer and we called this tool a Mole Grip.

I have no idea why they were called this other than the word Mole was embossed on the side of the wrench that we all had in out toolboxes.

If we had to resort to a bit more leverage out came the Stilson Wench, which was available in a range of sizes from 6 inch to 48 inch. If we had to resort to using the 48 inch Stillies we knew we were in trouble.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You guys are first of all assuming that there is still a part stuck inside the jack.

Secondly the tolerances of a 1/4" hole with a plug stuck inside are microscopic and there is no set of pliers, locking/vicegrip or otherwise that I know of that are fine enough to remove such a plug safely.

You might succeed using a pair of surgical forceps but even that is a long shot.

Thirdly there's a good chance that while extracting the plug with tweezers the OP actually damaged the internals of the jack causing it to permanently short to the OFF position and there is actually nothing left to remove.

Simply removing the offending jack entirely will ensure that the board plays normally again and replacing it depends on availability of a compatible part for a twenty year old keyboard valued at about $60 on ebay.

Spending money on exotic tools in this case would simply be throwing good money after bad.

Gary ;)

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, "Visegrip" is a brand name belonging to the inventors of the tool.

The generic name for those beasties is "Locking Pliers."

Gary ;)

Ask a Question