How do I install Strap Locks on the Ax Edge Keytar?

Reaction score
This is a very serious issue. I've had the strap completely pop off twice while I was playing this keytar. With the Alesis Vortex I was simply able to switch out the old strap nuts with locking ones, but I can't do this on the Edge- the screw just keeps turning forever without loosening.

People of Roland, sit up and listen: the strap is what makes it a keytar. If you can't securely attach the strap, then the instrument is no longer able to be called a keytar since it cannot be played while being carried by the strap- YOU PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW THIS!!!!

So are there any Ax Edge users out there who have found a solution to this abysmal design flaw? Please let me know- the sounds on this thing are awesome, but I absolutely cannot use it if the strap won't stay on.

Reaction score
You need a beer.

A Grolsch.

Or rather two beers.

They have to be those with the flip cap.

Take off the seals and attach them to your pins after the straps.

Its the guitarists solution that is much more enjoyable then spending cash in straplocks.

Reaction score
You will have to open up the body. The strap nubs are held on with bolts. Just be careful and take your time. The volume and assignable nobs will need to be pulled off but they pop back on. If it isn't opening up, check for more screws, don't force anything. Good luck!!

Reaction score
I found same problem...for now I bought $4 pack of Fender Strap blocks...feels more secure...on a different topic, I've set up my Ax Edge with Boss WL 20L wireless audio transmitting to my main keyboard line in...also found a good used Kenton midstream
So I can send 4 channels of midi to main keyboard..working on combining these

Reaction score
Fake ghost, same problem here. My fiance/keyboard player got it a week ago and the strap has come off twice. Gigging with the instrument this Friday and Saturday. Timz do the Fender strap blocks work well enough when one is actively mobile? Straploks are the right solution, but will opening the unit up void any warranties? I am sure I could handle this myself, mochamoo did you actually do it to an Ax Edge or are all Roland's strap buttons fixed the same way? Thanks all. I will be contacting Roland today with the same details/questions. Lee.

Reaction score
I have a very easy way to resolve this problem: just lock with an E-clip M12

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    3.4 KB · Views: 400
  • 20200107_230822.jpg
    20200107_230822.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:
Reaction score
Since last April post I found a strap that will lock around existing nubs...it wont snap to every position but the one at tail and the closest to neck, feels very secure...ill send a picture tonight...on another note I downloaded a free synth to my Ipad...i was able to Bluetooth pair to Edge for midi control...then I Bluetooth paired the Ipad audio to my Bluetooth ready studio monitors...i had thought the Edge bluetooth was only for editing through the app?
At first I thought i had bad latency...then realized the softsynth had slow attack...once i found a quicker reacting patch the latency wasnt there or noticable

Reaction score
Hi all

1582919131744.png

I ordered these. Underneath, remove all peripheral casing screws and the three centreline screws. Mark up the positions of the two different types of screws (there are some long and some short) and gently open the case. The keyboard is attached to the back by a number of connectors but they are long enough for you to access the existing strap button fastening nuts without parting the connectors (i used a set of long nosed pliers to hold the nuts) Simply remove and replace and replace the pull-lock connectors on your ROLAND strap. Make sure you align the connectors so it supports the keyboard properly when engaged.

Harddrive

Reaction score
HARDDRIVE
this sounds like the way to go.
My Ax arrives in a week.
I’ll update here how it goes.
Ordered the Strap locks you mentioned.

Sorry.. can you elaborate on this “replace the pull-lock connectors on your Roland strap”

Also.. with this new setup, I can use pretty much any guitar strap? I don’t think my purchase came with a Roland strap..

Thanks so much for the help

Reaction score
Hi all

View attachment 1754

I ordered these. Underneath, remove all peripheral casing screws and the three centreline screws. Mark up the positions of the two different types of screws (there are some long and some short) and gently open the case. The keyboard is attached to the back by a number of connectors but they are long enough for you to access the existing strap button fastening nuts without parting the connectors (i used a set of long nosed pliers to hold the nuts) Simply remove and replace and replace the pull-lock connectors on your ROLAND strap. Make sure you align the connectors so it supports the keyboard properly when engaged.

Harddrive

Great info, but you failed to mention about removing the 2 knobs on the neck (volume, other) to separate the case. And, there are 2 rows of screws that hold the keybed to the back of the case that must be taken out in order to lift the key bed high enough to access the strap knob nuts. And, I wondered how you got those new strap locks to work, as the screws are not machine screws (threads), but rather a lag-type of screw that is meant to go in wood, and are integrated as one with the knob that the strap receiver fits over (that's what it looks like anyway)? If their like the Schallers I purchased (and won't work), the knob and screw are all one, different than the 2-piece construction of the Roland knobs (a machine screw and knob). Appreciate the help, but don't forget other important steps, and please don't over-simplify this task.

Ask a Question