How do I open Sty.BUP files on my PC? (PSR 9000)

Reaction score
I want to open the style.bup file in my PC. I want to take out some styles from it and convert them.

I have PSR9000

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the PSR-9000's BUP files, but I've looked at the BUP files from the YPT-400, PSR-E433, and PSR-E443. I assume that the BUP files of Yamaha's various keyboards probably have a lot of similarities, even if the details vary in connection with each keyboard model's specific capabilities and functions.

(1) First of all, you'll need to open the BUP file with a hex editor. I've been using a free hex editor called "Hex Editor Neo":

(2) The BUP files from my keyboards (YPT-400, PSR-E433, and PSR-E443) are divided up into different sections or chunks-- e.g., header chunk, song chunk, registrations chunk, and style chunk. The BUP file is sort of like a RIFF file-- it can contain various sections or chunks that have an ID, followed by a size, followed by the actual data. If all you want to do is extract the styles, you can probably skip straight to the styles and ignore anything else.

(3) A Yamaha style file is a type of MIDI file, so the fastest way to find each style file inside the BUP file will be to search for "MThd"-- the first four characters in a MIDI file. Then you can cut out each style file and save it as a separate file.

I've got a homework assignment I need to complete and turn in by midnight, and that will take me a few hours, but after I'm done with that I'll post some screenshots along with some step-by-step instructions showing how to chop out each style file from a BUP and save it.

I should add that all of this is assuming that a PSR-9000 BUP file is similar to the BUP files I've seen. I'd actually be very surprised if it turns out to be otherwise.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Sir i have yamaha A 1000
How to delete keyboards rythm and voice from keyboard amd i want to copy some style and voice through to floppy to keyboard
Plz reply sir
[email address removed by admin]

A few notes. First, it's usually polite to introduce yourself in the forum before posting questions. There's a board set up just for that. Who are you, what do you play, and why? Second, generally you shouldn't be giving out your email address on a public board unless you want to get buried in spam. If you want a private answer, say so. The forum has a private message section. Third, why would you want the message sent privately anyway? If you want to know something about using your keyboard, wouldn't other people with the same keyboard want to know the same thing? If you ask the question and one of the experts answers it, then the next person with the same question won't need to ask it. Fourth, generally if you have a question or comment that's unrelated to the current topic (something to do with a PSR 9000, not an A1000), then you should start a new thread rather than adding to the existing unrelated thread. Fifth, if you end up creating duplicate threads, you have the option to delete one of them.

I replied to your actual question on the separate thread you created.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
If you want to send me an email with the file attached, I can see what it looks like, as I've never looked inside a PSR-S970 Backup file before.

I do know that the Backup files on my PSR-E models may or may not contain specific types of data-- such as User Styles and User Songs-- depending on what is actually stored in the keyboard's "system" memory, which differs from its internal storage memory. If the data you're looking for is stored as a file in the internal storage, rather than loaded into the system memory, then it probably isn't being saved as part of the Backup file.

Also, I think some Yamaha models let you choose what to save in a User file, which is a type of backup file and which has a BUP file extension on some models. I'm not experienced with using the PSR-S970 and its features, but if it lets you select which type(s) of data you want to back up, then the BUP file might not contain the data you're looking for.

Reaction score
If you want to send me an email with the file attached, I can see what it looks like, as I've never looked inside a PSR-S970 Backup file before.

I do know that the Backup files on my PSR-E models may or may not contain specific types of data-- such as User Styles and User Songs-- depending on what is actually stored in the keyboard's "system" memory, which differs from its internal storage memory. If the data you're looking for is stored as a file in the internal storage, rather than loaded into the system memory, then it probably isn't being saved as part of the Backup file.

Also, I think some Yamaha models let you choose what to save in a User file, which is a type of backup file and which has a BUP file extension on some models. I'm not experienced with using the PSR-S970 and its features, but if it lets you select which type(s) of data you want to back up, then the BUP file might not contain the data you're looking for.

I send you the files in zip format:
1) bodzin.aus: this file contains only midi tracks.
2) bodzin 22.bup: this file is the backup of my 970. In it, there would be a styles (aus or sty) stored in user memory. I am looking for the style named bodzin aud. the format woud be .aus (audio style).

Many thanks for your help.

Attachments

• BODZIN 2.aus.zip
    5.5 KB · Views: 294
  • Bodzin 22.bup.zip
    53.1 KB · Views: 300

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I don't understand. If you already have the "BODZIN 2.aus" file inside the zipped file, why do you need to extract it from the "Bodzin 22.bup" file-- assuming it's even in there?

If you're looking for the audio portion that goes with the style, I don't know whether it would be stored in the system memory-- and if it is, I don't know what it would look like and how/where to find it. As far as I know, no one has ever figured out the format that Yamaha uses to store audio data.

I'll keep looking at the BUP file to see if I can figure out how it's organized. It looks a lot different than the BUP files from my PSR-E models, but I'm curious to learn about it.

Reaction score
Please do not consider the file Bodzin 2 .aus because it creates misleading.
If you would help me to investigate on backup file, please get Bodzin 22.bup.
This file contains the .aus file stored in user memory. I do not know how extract it from .bup.

Many thanks for your help

Ask a Question