How to repair / replace damaged clear plastic protector for LCD display on Yamaha keyboard

Reaction score
Well, I think the original problem wasn't a scratch, it was some thin plastic from garden gloves that melted in the hot sun and got stuck to the clear covering that goes over and protects the LCD screen. So if I read that correctly, he wasn't trying to remove a scratch, he was trying to dislodge the melted plastic that had adhered itself to the covering.

Yes, correct but in my blundering attempt to clear this off (in my defence I read the way to remove the melted material WITHOUT causing damage was to use nail polish remover), it appears I did damage the protective screen itself.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Replacing the cover probably entails nothing more than removing about a dozen or so philips screws from the bottom of the case, and removing a couple of philips screws holding the LCD assembly to the top panel, removing any slider caps or knobs from the front panel first and then probably replacing the entire front panel as the clear window is probably welded to the assembly and not replaceable as a dealer part. There's probably a couple of rows of philips screws in the center which hold the keybed in place which you would NOT remove for this job.

I'd advise watching a few Youtube videos first to get a feel for how these things come apart.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually, upon seeing how those models are built, you'd also have to pull and replace all the control buttons and knobs and speakers as well.

Lots of potential for an amateur to screw up.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Actually, upon seeing how those models are built, you'd also have to pull and replace all the control buttons and knobs and speakers as well.

Lots of potential for an amateur to screw up.

Gary ;)

Yes, I agree. I have worked with in IT for 17 years and am pretty good with handling internal hardware in that field, although I know this is not same. Let me see if I can get a quote first, and then can think on how to proceed. What about the idea of paying someone who konws what they are doing to skim off the top layer of damaged material?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The plastic window is literally about 2 mm thick.

It will NEVER again have the same transparency and optical properties regardless of how much you tried to grind or polish it down.

It's possibly made of polystyrene which is a total writeoff. Even if it's acryllic or polycarbonate the thickness gives you no margin for error.

If you buy the OEM part it will probably be the entire top panel assembly of the keyboard and Yamaha will probably charge anywhere between $100 and $200 for the part IF they even sell it as a part.

If you find a junker that would be the only realistic supply for this part.

OR

You could carefully cut and chisel and scrape and pry out the window itself and replace it with a clear polystyrene sheet you cut out of a CD Jewel Case and carefully epoxy it into place.

As I stated previously, if you want this thing to look like new, factoring in labor, it works out a hell of a lot cheaper to just replace the entire instrument and leave this unit as a project for the local kids.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
An update for interested parties, the part is available for a very reasonable £11 from Sontec including delivery. You can call a very helpful lady called Katy on 01603 483 675.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That's actually pretty cheap and I'm surprised they sell just the window without the entire assembly attached.

You dodged a bullet friend :)

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Now comes the tricky part-- removing the old part and attaching the new part. ;) I hope everything goes well for you! :)

Ask a Question