I need a very specific kind of keyboard if possible .

Reaction score
Hello ! I am keyboardist in a band.

I use various audio loops and audio riffs in my rig with an old , Fantom G .

I need a Keyboard that has/can :
- Import Audio Loops and One-Shot Riffs ( and has some memory )
- Has some pads to play the loops and the riffs
- I need to play the Loops and the riffs in same page
- Also I need to be able to make a performance patch with multiple instruments to play along the loops.

Right now I do that with my Fantom G . BUT ......
that's because i found a workaround to work it as I want it .

I import the audio loops ,I make a drum kit with all of them, then I record midi phrases to bpm and use the RPS mode of the pads to play the loops along the riffs . All synced by the Bpm . Wonderful . But it's kinda buggy . Like.... most of the times , the system works. But it's an old keyboard. Sometimes the drum loops just stop by themselves .
It has served me very well but I'm looking to make an upgrade , and the first thing i looked at was the "new Fantom" . I don't really think it will be that easy to switch to a new Fantom . And I don't really love the workflow it has. The only reason I would switch to it, is because on the New Fantom you can do all that Looping with audio files directly , no need to make midi phrases anymore .

I was looking to Akai MPC Key . I am not very familliar with the MPC world , BUT i think that the MPC engine is made with using audio samples in mind so it must have the features I am looking for . Right now, I don't know very much about it . I am asking if Akai MPC Key 61 can manage things like that , or if some other keyboard can do the job . It's 2022 and what i'm doing with my Fantom seems kinda hard and unintuitive . Also I don't have much space on the Fantom G and I read somewhere that you can expand the Akai MPC memory with Sata .

Any thoughts ? I may be looking at this situation wrong .

Reaction score
Hello ! I am keyboardist in a band.

I use various audio loops and audio riffs in my rig with an old , Fantom G .

I need a Keyboard that has/can :
- Import Audio Loops and One-Shot Riffs ( and has some memory )
- Has some pads to play the loops and the riffs
- I need to play the Loops and the riffs in same page
- Also I need to be able to make a performance patch with multiple instruments to play along the loops.

Right now I do that with my Fantom G . BUT ......
that's because i found a workaround to work it as I want it .

I import the audio loops ,I make a drum kit with all of them, then I record midi phrases to bpm and use the RPS mode of the pads to play the loops along the riffs . All synced by the Bpm . Wonderful . But it's kinda buggy . Like.... most of the times , the system works. But it's an old keyboard. Sometimes the drum loops just stop by themselves .
It has served me very well but I'm looking to make an upgrade , and the first thing i looked at was the "new Fantom" . I don't really think it will be that easy to switch to a new Fantom . And I don't really love the workflow it has. The only reason I would switch to it, is because on the New Fantom you can do all that Looping with audio files directly , no need to make midi phrases anymore .

I was looking to Akai MPC Key . I am not very familliar with the MPC world , BUT i think that the MPC engine is made with using audio samples in mind so it must have the features I am looking for . Right now, I don't know very much about it . I am asking if Akai MPC Key 61 can manage things like that , or if some other keyboard can do the job . It's 2022 and what i'm doing with my Fantom seems kinda hard and unintuitive . Also I don't have much space on the Fantom G and I read somewhere that you can expand the Akai MPC memory with Sata .

Any thoughts ? I may be looking at this situation wrong .

I've been looking at the Akai too.

I found these videos very helpful:
-
-

Cheers!

Ask a Question