Instrument vs. Interconnect vs. Keyboard vs Guitar cables

Reaction score
Was shopping for gifts for musician friends and noticed our local store has separated cables into separate categories - - - I saw 1/4" to 1/4" mono (TS) cables in every single section: "Instrument", "Interconnect", "Keyboard" and "Guitar." I expect the Interconnect cables would be generally shorter and used for connections within a rack.

But, am I missing something here? Wouldn't 1/4" to 1/4" TS cables all be about the same, despite the fact they are named: "Instrument", "Keyboard" and "Guitar" ?? The salesman said they were all slightly different but he couldn't tell me why.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. Essentially they should all functionally be the same (shielded cable). Some may have "higher quality" shielding or connections which increase their retail price. Happy Holidays. Don

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. Essentially they should all functionally be the same (shielded cable). Some may have "higher quality" shielding or connections which increase their retail price. Happy Holidays. Don
Thanks, Don. That was my impression as well.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
All that really matters with almost any cable is the connectors at each end. What's in between is generally a function of the price and value of the cable. Personally I prefer to buy Hosa cables whenever I need a new one. They are reasonably priced, well designed and durable and they make adapters and interconnect cables for almost any combination you can imagine. Visit their website and browse a bit and you'll see they make any type of cable imaginable.

As for the music store? They are probably laying them out that way to keep the noobs from accidentally destroying their own gear. :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
About five years ago I bought a few guitar pedals on fleabay and had to go into a now defunct Music Store for a few 1/4” patch cables (6” cable with jacks at each end) they were out of quality ones and only had a pack of six for about £5.

OMG were they rubbish, hum, hiss, & crackle induced.

It pays to buy quality leads.

Ask a Question