Is there a way to download better organ sounds on to my Yamaha DGX?

Reaction score
Thanks! I saw a video on YouTube of a guy that had the VB3m app for his phone and hooked it up to his keyboard, and used phone for the drawbars. I bought the app but can’t figure how to hook it up to my keyboard

Depending on the phone you would need a usb micro or usb-c (whatever your phone supports) to a usb female adapter. something like this: link1

If your phone has an independent headphone jack, simply connect the phone jack to a mixer then to your speakers. done...

If your phone doesn't have an independent headphone jack then you will need a usb splitter, something like this:

link2

You would then plug your keyboard's midi out into one of the phone splitter jacks as an input to trigger VB3m that's in your phone and use the other splitter as an audio out.

check out this video, this guy struggled getting it right and takes you through everything that he did until he got the correct solution.

He ended up going with one of these: link3

Seems like a pain in the ass but honestly between the app being under $20 and the link3 option (behringer adapter) for $25 I know of nothing that will give you that kind of organ for under $50 unless you go the tablet VST route which is the equivalent or more amount of hookup and investment, especially if you don't have a tablet to run the software on. This software hooks up to your phone which you probably already own. The sound is awesome. Check my signature, you'll see that I'm sort of a Hammond freak so I'm a little picky regarding organ and leslie.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I used a similar Organ App on my Yamaha DP.

iPad (Lightning connector) > Camera Adaptor > USB A to B cable (printer cable) > Yamaha, then local control off if necessary.

Worked also on my iPhone.

Reaction score
I used a similar Organ App on my Yamaha DP.

iPad (Lightning connector) > Camera Adaptor > USB A to B cable (printer cable) > Yamaha, then local control off if necessary.

Worked also on my iPhone.
Does the audio come out of your keyboard or out of your phone?

Reaction score
Depending on the phone you would need a usb micro or usb-c (whatever your phone supports) to a usb female adapter. something like this: link1

If your phone has an independent headphone jack, simply connect the phone jack to a mixer then to your speakers. done...

If your phone doesn't have an independent headphone jack then you will need a usb splitter, something like this:

link2

You would then plug your keyboard's midi out into one of the phone splitter jacks as an input to trigger VB3m that's in your phone and use the other splitter as an audio out.

check out this video, this guy struggled getting it right and takes you through everything that he did until he got the correct solution.

He ended up going with one of these: link3

Seems like a pain in the ass but honestly between the app being under $20 and the link3 option (behringer adapter) for $25 I know of nothing that will give you that kind of organ for under $50 unless you go the tablet VST route which is the equivalent or more amount of hookup and investment, especially if you don't have a tablet to run the software on. This software hooks up to your phone which you probably already own. The sound is awesome. Check my signature, you'll see that I'm sort of a Hammond freak so I'm a little picky regarding organ and leslie.
Will I be able to get the sound to come out of my keyboard speakers and not my phone speakers?

Reaction score
When using an app the additional sounds won't come out of the keyboard, they will come out of the device that houses the app. If you loaded the app to your phone then the sounds need to come out of the phone, if you have an IPAD or tablet then the sounds would come out of those.

Reaction score
Does the audio come out of your keyboard or out of your phone?
It depends on your keyboard. Some have USB Audio inbuilt (like my Yamaha P-121 so a single USB cord transmits midi to the iPhone and receives digital audio back to the keyboard's speakers) others will require an audio interface and extra cords into your line-in.

Ask a Question