I have a piano PSR S438. I've tried to install driver to my pc but after the download, there comes an error while installing. Kindly I need assistance

Reaction score
Untitled.png

Reaction score
Welcome.

Can you advise the Driver name that you have installed?

This is a pretty common problem and is often caused by use of the wrong Driver.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
First, could you verify the model name? I've never heard of the PSR-S438, so I'm wondering if you meant the PSR-E433, or something else?

Second, make sure you're trying to install the correct driver. Certain newer models require the Steinberg USB driver, whereas other models require the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver.

Third, if you're trying to install the correct driver but are still getting the error, make sure you're using either a USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 cable, not a USB 3.0 cable, and that the cable isn't too long-- "less than 3 meters," which means a 10-foot cable would be too long. As I recall, one of our members was getting that error a while back and it turned out that the cable he was using was too long; when he switched to a shorter cable, it worked and he was able to install the driver.

3dc

Reaction score
As @SeaGtGruff and @Biggles said plus make sure your cable is plugged into 2.0 USB port and not the 3.0 USB port of your computer. Also your keyboard must be actually connected to the computer BEFORE you install your drivers. There are two sequences your computer must perform in order to function properly: Recognition of new hardware in USB port which is automatic in Windows 10 ( takes 2-3 minutes ) and hardware specific driver install for hardware usability. So make sure you actually using the right driver. If you are using Yamaha PSR-E463 or E453 on Windows 10 you must use the Steinberg driver and not the MIDI driver!
Here is the link to the driver: LINK

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I think a USB 3.0 port might be okay to use-- it seems not all USB 3.0 ports are as "backwards compatible" as others, so it might or might not work-- but a USB 2.0 port is definitely better if available.

The USB cable should definitely be a USB 1.1 or 2.0 cable, regardless of whether it's being plugged into a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port.

This same error was occurring for a member who was using the correct USB versions of cable and port, but his cable was too long and the error went away once he switched to a shorter cable, so the length of the cable can definitely be a problem if it exceeds 3 meters.

And do not try to connect the keyboard to a USB hub, as that won't work, either; it must be connected directly to a USB port on the computer.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Wow, that is interesting!

It's difficult to see the model name on the image-- and yes, I realize the model name is given in the ad-- but if the image actually does go with the ad then it's a Yamaha keyboard, and seems to be virtually identical with the recent models in the PSR-E400 series, so it might be some sort of regional version from that series, similar to the way the PSR-I425 and PSR-I455 are Indian versions of the PSR-E403 and PSR-E433, respectively.

However, I found another ad on a different site that shows different images of the keyboard:

That second keyboard isn't a Yamaha, but instead is a Martens keyboard, in which case it would presumably be unable to use the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver.

Going back to the first ad, not only does the image show a Yamaha, but the description of the specs says that it's a Yamaha, and the listed features seem to be comparable to the latest models, the PSR-E453 and PSR-E463. In fact, the model number in the image is too blurry to make out but looks like it might be 483 or 463-- the last digit looks like a 3 whereas the middle digit does not look like a 3. But if it's a brand new model from Yamaha then the image might not be of the correct model, such as if the retailer didn't have a picture of the correct model.

On the other hand, the retailer might have put up the wrong image and description by mistake, due to the model's similar name to a PSR-E463, so it might be a Martens PSR-S438 with the wrong image and description shown.

If it really is a Yamaha, and if the listed specs are correct, then I'd guess it includes built-in USB audio, just as the PSR-E453 and PSR-E463 do, in which case it requires the Steinberg USB driver, not the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver. (Steinberg is owned by Yamaha.)

But if it's the Martens PSR-S438, then it probably won't work with either of those two drivers, and either it doesn't require a driver because it's class-compliant, or it requires a proprietary driver from Martens.

Ask a Question