Is there any site which show chord name by highlighting keys

Reaction score
Key signatures explained

Do have a look through Gary’s excellent Music Theory and Tutorial threads

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The first column shows the key or scale that the other chords are taken from. Let’s take the key of C (or C Major) as an example.

The other columns show the degrees of the indicated scale or key. A “degree” is the note that’s in a particular spot within the scale, or its order or location. There are seven notes in a scale, so there are seven degrees-- but we can keep counting up further to include the notes of the next octave, as follows:

Key of C Major:
1 = C
2 = D
3 = E
4 = F
5 = G
6 = A
7 = B
And if we continue counting into the next octave:
8 = C
9 = D
10 = E
11 = F
12 = G
13 = A
14 = B

These degree numbers are used when we talk about the intervals between two notes, with some intervals being called “perfect” because there is normally only one version of them, and other intervals normally having two possible versions-- “minor” and “major"-- as shown in the following example for the key of C Major. I think the abbreviations shown are standard; at least, they’re the abbreviations that I learned. Notice that since these are intervals, they refer to the distance between two notes-- from the note which is the “root” of the scale, to the indicated note.

Key of C Major:
C = P1 or perfect unison (that is, two identical C notes playing in unison, with 0 semitones between them)
C# or Db = m2 or minor second (1 semitone above the root note)
D = M2 or major second (2 semitones above the root)
D# or Eb = m3 or minor third (3 semitones above the root)
E = M3 or major third (4 semitones above the root)
F = P4 or perfect fourth (5 semitones above the root)
F# or Gb = TT or tritone (6 semitones or 3 tones-- "tri tone"-- above the root)
G = P5 or perfect fifth (7 semitones above the root)
G# or Ab = m6 or minor sixth (8 semitones above the root)
A = M6 or major sixth (9 semitones above the root)
A# or Bb = m7 or minor seventh (10 semitones above the root)
B = M7 or major seventh (11 semitones above the root)
C = P8 or perfect octave (12 semitones above the root)

Notice that there's a difference in capitalization between some of the interval abbreviations-- m2 versus M2, m3 versus M3, and so on-- so you need to be careful when writing or reading them, or you might get them mixed up.

There are also two more types of intervals-- "diminished" (abbreviated with a lowercase "d") and "augmented" (abbreviated with an uppercase "A"). These lower (diminish) or raise (augment) any of the "perfect" degrees by a semitone. For the degrees that already have two versions-- minor and major-- the diminished version lowers the minor interval by a semitone, whereas the augmented version raises the major interval by a semitone. So putting all of that together, we get the following:

Key of C Major:
C = P1 or d2
C# or Db = A1 or m2
D = M2 or d3
D# or Eb = A2 or m3
E = M3 or d4
F = A3 or P4
F# or Gb = TT or A4 or d5
G = P5 or d6
G# or Ab = A5 or m6
A = M6 or d7
A# or Bb = A6 or m7
B = M7 or d8
C = P8

We can also refer to a particular degree as being either "sharpened" or "flatted," such as b3 or a flatted third, or #5 or a sharpened fifth. I'm not certain how that works with the two-version degrees (2, 3, 6, and 7). In particular, I'm not certain whether those intervals vary depending on whether the key is major or minor. That is, in the key of C Major the 3rd degree has an interval of M3 from the root, so b3 would be the same as m3. But in the key of C Minor the 3rd degree has an interval of m3, so I think d3 might be the same as M2, in which case #3 would be the same as M3-- but I'm not certain of that.

Anyway, that chart you were asking about shows which chords we get if we start with a given degree of a key and play a chord made up of that degree plus two more notes, skipping a degree in between. For example, if we start with the 2nd degree of the key and add two more notes to it, skipping a degree each time, we get the 2nd, 4th, and 6th degrees. In the key of C Major those would be the D, F, and A notes, which form a D Minor chord. Starting with the 3rd degree, we would get the 3rd, 5th, and 7th degrees, or the E, G, and B notes, which form an E Minor chord. And so on with the rest of the degree columns shown in that chart.

Notice that the degrees are always based on the key we're playing in, so if we're playing in the key of C Minor then the same degrees might give us different notes and different chords.

I'll stop there, because it's already a lot to digest, but hopefully that's enough to help you puzzle out that chart.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The problem with trying to understand even "the simplest things" in any given subject is that being able to understand even the simplest things usually requires having an understanding of even simpler things, and so on, all the way down to the bare "nuts and bolts."

So a nice little concise chart such as the one you'd posted in https://www.keyboardforums.com/thre...d-name-by-highlighting-keys.29965/post-200605 is "child's play" to understand as long as you thoroughly understand the basics, but if you don't understand the basics then you might have trouble understanding what all of the columns and rows represent, let alone what the significance is of the information in each cell.

Things like intervals, harmonics, and tuning systems are topics that I really enjoy-- perhaps because they're so mathematical in nature-- so I can go on and on and on and on about them. In other words, "Do not get me started!"... because once I get started, you won't be able to get me to shut up. ;)

Reaction score
Key signatures explained

Do have a look through Gary’s excellent Music Theory and Tutorial threads

thanks

Reaction score
The first column shows the key or scale that the other chords are taken from. Let’s take the key of C (or C Major) as an example.

The other columns show the degrees of the indicated scale or key. A “degree” is the note that’s in a particular spot within the scale, or its order or location. There are seven notes in a scale, so there are seven degrees-- but we can keep counting up further to include the notes of the next octave, as follows:

Key of C Major:
1 = C
2 = D
3 = E
4 = F
5 = G
6 = A
7 = B
And if we continue counting into the next octave:
8 = C
9 = D
10 = E
11 = F
12 = G
13 = A
14 = B

These degree numbers are used when we talk about the intervals between two notes, with some intervals being called “perfect” because there is normally only one version of them, and other intervals normally having two possible versions-- “minor” and “major"-- as shown in the following example for the key of C Major. I think the abbreviations shown are standard; at least, they’re the abbreviations that I learned. Notice that since these are intervals, they refer to the distance between two notes-- from the note which is the “root” of the scale, to the indicated note.

Key of C Major:
C = P1 or perfect unison (that is, two identical C notes playing in unison, with 0 semitones between them)
C# or Db = m2 or minor second (1 semitone above the root note)
D = M2 or major second (2 semitones above the root)
D# or Eb = m3 or minor third (3 semitones above the root)
E = M3 or major third (4 semitones above the root)
F = P4 or perfect fourth (5 semitones above the root)
F# or Gb = TT or tritone (6 semitones or 3 tones-- "tri tone"-- above the root)
G = P5 or perfect fifth (7 semitones above the root)
G# or Ab = m6 or minor sixth (8 semitones above the root)
A = M6 or major sixth (9 semitones above the root)
A# or Bb = m7 or minor seventh (10 semitones above the root)
B = M7 or major seventh (11 semitones above the root)
C = P8 or perfect octave (12 semitones above the root)

Notice that there's a difference in capitalization between some of the interval abbreviations-- m2 versus M2, m3 versus M3, and so on-- so you need to be careful when writing or reading them, or you might get them mixed up.

There are also two more types of intervals-- "diminished" (abbreviated with a lowercase "d") and "augmented" (abbreviated with an uppercase "A"). These lower (diminish) or raise (augment) any of the "perfect" degrees by a semitone. For the degrees that already have two versions-- minor and major-- the diminished version lowers the minor interval by a semitone, whereas the augmented version raises the major interval by a semitone. So putting all of that together, we get the following:

Key of C Major:
C = P1 or d2
C# or Db = A1 or m2
D = M2 or d3
D# or Eb = A2 or m3
E = M3 or d4
F = A3 or P4
F# or Gb = TT or A4 or d5
G = P5 or d6
G# or Ab = A5 or m6
A = M6 or d7
A# or Bb = A6 or m7
B = M7 or d8
C = P8

We can also refer to a particular degree as being either "sharpened" or "flatted," such as b3 or a flatted third, or #5 or a sharpened fifth. I'm not certain how that works with the two-version degrees (2, 3, 6, and 7). In particular, I'm not certain whether those intervals vary depending on whether the key is major or minor. That is, in the key of C Major the 3rd degree has an interval of M3 from the root, so b3 would be the same as m3. But in the key of C Minor the 3rd degree has an interval of m3, so I think d3 might be the same as M2, in which case #3 would be the same as M3-- but I'm not certain of that.

Anyway, that chart you were asking about shows which chords we get if we start with a given degree of a key and play a chord made up of that degree plus two more notes, skipping a degree in between. For example, if we start with the 2nd degree of the key and add two more notes to it, skipping a degree each time, we get the 2nd, 4th, and 6th degrees. In the key of C Major those would be the D, F, and A notes, which form a D Minor chord. Starting with the 3rd degree, we would get the 3rd, 5th, and 7th degrees, or the E, G, and B notes, which form an E Minor chord. And so on with the rest of the degree columns shown in that chart.

Notice that the degrees are always based on the key we're playing in, so if we're playing in the key of C Minor then the same degrees might give us different notes and different chords.

I'll stop there, because it's already a lot to digest, but hopefully that's enough to help you puzzle out that chart.
I am really grateful for ur deep explaination. I have gone through the complete Piano theory course offered by PGNpiano.com site in all these days n Now I can identify n get many things in the chart but still a lot to learn as there r few things which still bewilder me but not to worry at all, I now can figureout things myself.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Now I knew all the chords type, what would be the best method to memorize them so I can play any song spontaneously when it comes to chord. I mean any kind of drill practice or strategy u have. I know there r lot of videos already n billions of results r there on Google but I seek here expert advice because that counts a lot then those.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Don't hesitate to ask more questions! No one said you had to figure everything out by yourself. And you can be sure that if you have a particular question, there are probably a lot of other people out there who have the same question, so any discussion we have about it is hopefully going to help them, too. :)

Reaction score
Practice, practice etc it is all about muscle memory.

Finger position for a Major, finger position for a Minor, finger position for a Major 7th etc the shapes will become automatic it just takes time through practice.

The key is use all your fingers to play, not just your thumb and first two fingers. A three note Major chord should be played with the thumb, middle and little fingers.

So try with the right hand to play a Major C, so that is C E G. So play a bar of quarter notes using thumb middle and little finger.

Press and hold a Major C, now look at where your index and ring fingers are, they are hovering over the D and F.

So play another bar of C Major in quarter notes, then for the next bar play C D and G, then the next bar C F G, then back to C D and G.

Notice the tonal qualities and similarities, so you can substitute these chord variations to and more dynamics to your playing.

A great finger exercise, using all fingers of right hand with thumb on C and each finger on successive white notes. Play notes with fingers 1&3, then 2&4, then 3&5, then 2&4, then 1&3, repeat going up and down.

If you get an idea of a song from this exercise check out the great Van Morrisons Brown Eyed Girl and you will hear that you are more ir less playing the opening riff, so there you are exercising and learning a new classic song all in one,

Reaction score

Thank you to everyone for their keen support n for sharing their golden advice. I can't tell how happy I am by joining this forum. Biggles is surely right so therefore I am doing practice n practice for building muscle memory to retain chord names n their proper positions (after going through the theory).

This is the end of this post. Please close it n I just have one more thing to confirm, can we ask questions regarding DAW in this forum

Reaction score
You can ask any questions you like.

Someone here probably knows the answers or at least where to get the answers.

We all learn from each other and it is all great for expanding our collective knowledge.

Good luck with your practice, btw my own method is little and often, usually in 15 minute slots, but I am retired and have many interests so if I am having trouble with one piece I can leave it and do something else then get back to it refreshed.

Reaction score

this app does that and more, available for iphones/ios & also google play.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I can second the recommendation for that app, but I'm a little confused about its name. On my iPad's desktop it's shown as "Chords." While starting up it displays its name as "Chords and Scales." And in the App Store it's listed as "Piano Chords and Scales." Not that the name is all that important, but it adds an element of uncertainty when I'm looking for the app on my iPad, or if I want to tell someone about it. Anyway, it's the one from Sincere Apps.

Another, similar app that I like is called "Piano Companion" (both on the desktop and opening screen), from Songtive. The App Store has it listed as "Piano Chords, Scales Companion."

Reaction score
I'd recommend Piano Companion for sure. The app is frequently updating (comparing to its clones). There are lots of interesting features such as a huge collection of chords and scales, an interactive circle of fifths, scales structure, custom chords, and scales, chord progressions, common scale chords. You can see scale fingering and even submit them.
  1. Piano Companion for Android
  2. Piano Companion for iOS
  3. Piano Companion for MacOS

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Not sure if I am qualified to answer this given that I have limited theoretical knowledge - but since I play by ear, it is quite ease to identify chords - the major and minor ones for sure, for example, I find an eb minor can sometimes be replaced or a quick succession with a b major, I tend to use the chords that 'sound' right - it comes naturally after some time. Yes, reproducing an exact piece is out of my league (since I struggle with reading music) - but if I hear it a couple of times, then no sweat, I can reproduce if approximately.

Reaction score

There is an online free tool (MazMazika Songs Chord Analyzer), which analyzes and detects the chords of any song very fast. You can process the song through file upload (MP3/WAV) or by pasting YouTube / SoundCloud links. After processing the file, you can play the song while seeing all the chords playing along in-real time, as well as a table containing all the chords, each chord is assigned to a time-position & a number ID, which you can click to go directly to the corresponding chord and it`s time-position.

Ask a Question