Music Theory

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
That vid on the computerised drumming was so informative. The narrator made it interesting and honestly I learnt heaps. He explained It fluently and cleverly with clear examples. I always wondered how it was done (since 1987 . . See my trivia below)

But it is a contentious subject.

Side 1
Computerized drums make a mockery of rock music. which reminds me of the awful manufactured electronic music and some hip hop music they play at night clubs and music (drug) festivals. It is repetative and perfectly timed to boring.
There is no substitute for a real drummer setting the pace and creating individual style. Drummers can miss cue a beat or add an extra snare or high hat hit or double time. Showmanship!

Side 2.
We all have manufactured music built into our keyboards. Whether we use ACMP styles or just the backing drum beats. So it has its benefits too. For me it is a godsend since I am not professional.

Now the Trivia . .
Back in 1987, Jethro Tull the band went through a period of not having a drummer. That same year they produced an album called "Crest of a Knave" I believe most of the album wad made with a drum machine. A couple of tracks were laid using a guest drummer but most were computer. However, that album won a grammy for best heavy rock album that year and they toppled Metallica would you believe. It was a ridiculous decision and unfair if you ask me. No drummer! To this day Metallica often bring it up in their banter on stage.

One of the songs from that album was "Budapest" Acually one of Anderson's best written pieces. One of my favs. Have a listen . . Pay attention to the drumming (not real).
It does sound pretty amazing.
Headphones or a good set of woofers recommended.
Enjoy.☺

Reaction score
Very interesting Ray!

As you know I've never heard much Tull. That drumming definitely sounds like a machine.

It's a nice track. To my ear the first three and half minutes and the last two minutes sound very much like Dire Straits' earlier "Romeo and Juliet". I'll include it here by way of comparison.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
It's a nice track. To my ear the first three and half minutes and the last two minutes sound very much like Dire Straits' earlier "Romeo and Juliet". I'll include it here by way of comparison.
You are absolutely spot on Paul.
This comparison was made within our Tull forums years ago. It just goes to show how musically adept you are.
Ray

Reaction score
Not heard Budapest before but agree with Paul, definitely inspired by R&J.

Sounds great on the iPad with my headphones plugged in but listening to Dire Straight performing R&J well that song is just perfect as is most of DS’s music (naff vid though).

Ask a Question