Just got Brand New iPad

Discussion in 'MIDI' started by DJG$$$1, Jul 12, 2018.

1. DJG$$$1

DJG$$$1

Lifelong PC user, but I Really LIKE this iPad thing! Problem is trying to connect it to my external (non-USB) MIDI gear. My gear only has MIDI In and Out/Thru, no USB ports at all.

My needs are fairly basic. I need to send program/parameter changes to an effects processor and a MIDI light controller during live performances. And I’d like to start/stop the sequencer and play patches on the iPad from a non-USB MIDI keyboard without having to touch the iPad. I usually preprogram my sequences with all necessary the program change & cc data. The problem is getting this iPad to talk to my dinosaur gear.

Everything seems to be USB these days!

DJG$$$1, Jul 12, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. DJG$$$1

Hodor

Hodor, Jul 12, 2018
    Biggles and DJG$$$1 like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. DJG$$$1

Biggles

Welcome to the real world, iPad rules.

First thing to buy is a genuine Camera Adaptop, do not buy Amazon or eBay rip offs, buy genuine Apple.

It is a Lightning to USB socket, in the Adaptor there is also a Lightning socket so you can keep the iPad powered via its standard charging unit.

This unit will basically give your iPad a standard USB socket to which you can connect your MIDI gear.

Do connect everything together with everything powered off, once connected power everything on.

Biggles, Jul 12, 2018
    DJG$$$1 likes this.
  4. DJG$$$1

SAM CA

I would totally stay away from generic amazon stuff. I have both IK Multimedia iRig2 and Apple's lightning socket. The one from the apple doesn't work with older mdoels but it's great if you got a new one. You don't have to worry about the battery dying on you so fast.

SAM CA, Jul 14, 2018
    Biggles and DJG$$$1 like this.
  5. DJG$$$1

MikeyParent

MikeyParent, Aug 7, 2018
  6. DJG$$$1

Hodor

Hodor, Aug 7, 2018
    DJG$$$1 likes this.
  7. DJG$$$1

SAM CA

Great! How's the latency? Is it noticeable at all when you play thicker chords or faster melodies?

SAM CA, Aug 7, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question