Just got Brand New iPad

Reaction score
Lifelong PC user, but I Really LIKE this iPad thing! Problem is trying to connect it to my external (non-USB) MIDI gear. My gear only has MIDI In and Out/Thru, no USB ports at all.

My needs are fairly basic. I need to send program/parameter changes to an effects processor and a MIDI light controller during live performances. And I’d like to start/stop the sequencer and play patches on the iPad from a non-USB MIDI keyboard without having to touch the iPad. I usually preprogram my sequences with all necessary the program change & cc data. The problem is getting this iPad to talk to my dinosaur gear.

Everything seems to be USB these days!

Reaction score
Welcome to the real world, iPad rules.

First thing to buy is a genuine Camera Adaptop, do not buy Amazon or eBay rip offs, buy genuine Apple.

It is a Lightning to USB socket, in the Adaptor there is also a Lightning socket so you can keep the iPad powered via its standard charging unit.

This unit will basically give your iPad a standard USB socket to which you can connect your MIDI gear.

Do connect everything together with everything powered off, once connected power everything on.

Reaction score
I would totally stay away from generic amazon stuff. I have both IK Multimedia iRig2 and Apple's lightning socket. The one from the apple doesn't work with older mdoels but it's great if you got a new one. You don't have to worry about the battery dying on you so fast.

Reaction score

Ask a Question