[Questions] Got few questions about DGX660

Reaction score
Hi,

So I bought this summer DGX660 and very slowly learning how to play piano. (feels like im not progressing at all or at a pace of snail, keep forgetting what I'm learning. Maybe just no talent/brain for anything but whatever.. want to learn it even if it's last thing I do :D. Rant and jokes aside I have few technical questions.

Mainly how to set-up with PC.

ANYHOW. To questions. I have few questions for now and probably along the way will ask more.

#1 Plugged USB drive to keyboard. Recorded some of my progress. Saved recordings and double saved to save as .wav . I plug USB to PC and all it tells me is "please insert disc" meaning that USB shows up as disc slot rather than storage drive. So yeah, cannot access a.k.a cannot copy the .wav files to PC.

Question is am I doing something wrong or something is working incorrectly. Whichever is more likely, I would like a solution.

#2 I hooked 3.5mm cable between PC and keyboard (line) to record through audacity, but for some reason PC told that line "currently unavailable" in audio devices. Put audacity on record, didn't seem to pick anything indeed. Whilst from my keyboard headphones all I heard was quite some static.

Question is once again. I'm I doing something wrong? Whenever yes or now, would like to know a solution.

As well related to same question. Since I play keyboard with headphones and learn through my tablet (until I get money to make better set-up and add monitor instead) means I have line cable occupied between keyboard and tablet. Hence the question. If i plan to hook it to PC as well. What would best option to record with audacity in PC, whilst keyboard headphones are on AND at the same time listen through keyboard headphones what is happening on my tablet?
Or put it more simply. How set-up audio that: 1. Playing keyboard with headphones 2. Record on computer through Audacity 3. Listen to audio that comes from tablet. (+ preferably not record what comes from tablet)

#3 Any other recommendations for set-ups ?
As I mainly learn stuff through watching youtube videos or other videos. And want to set-up synthesia. Mainly a set-up that utilizes computer and comfort. As I plan to eventually buy a monitor in front of my keyboard for bigger screen to see what is going on and learn (eventually read sheet music) I would like ideas for set-ups.

I will eventually actually google such things more in-depth as well, once I actually have most gear prepared (whenever I get money together).

#4 Probably forgot something important to ask. So placeholder for myself.

As well as mentioned along the way I will ask probably more stuff. TO avoid clutter then probably on this same thread as reply and update main entry.

:/ Yeah... currently at baby steps. Trying to practice 30-120min per day. ON average 50minutes at the moment. Trying to "master" currently video lessons "Learn & Master Piano" by Will Barrow. His explanations are pretty nice and he talks quite slow and clear. So until I master his lessons to an extent of a level... I won't pick other methods.

Would rant some more.... as pessimist I am, but I'll try my best to keep it clean for questions :D

Oh.... and I'm new here.
Hi

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome

Try formatting the drive in your PC, then try recording.

But, DO NOT simply pull the USB drive out of your PC without ejecting it.

Insert it in your DGX and then switch the keyboard on, try recording again, switch off keyboard and remove USB stick, insert it into PC and see what is there.

Never, ever unplug any USB device without ejecting it correctly.

Your PC will need the Driver file fir the DGX installing before the PC will see the DGX correctly

General advice, do not rush, play shorter sessions but more of them. Read Theory, think about a regular practice routine.

Enjoy.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I think the 650 models and above were USB MIDI Class Compliant and did not require drivers. Check your documentation before installing any drivers.

Secondly: What should be done is format the drive in the keyboard, not the computer. The computer should be able to read any FAT32 format.

Biggles advice about safe ejection of USB media does apply though. Never eject a USB drive while writing to it and always use the task bar menu or similar utility to eject from a computer.

Likewise, never eject from your keyboard until it's finished writing.

Thirdly: Which cables are you plugging where exactly. The USB A Port on your Computer connects to a USB B port on the keyboard. That's the proper hookup.

The USB A port on your keyboard is only for use with USB thumb drives.

Again, check your documentation to assure proper connections on all cabling.

Get back to us here if you are still having problems.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I agree about not removing a USB flash drive from a computer without "ejecting" it first.

But I'm not so sure about with a keyboard-- this might vary depending on the keyboard, so check the manual for your keyboard and follow the procedure it says to use.

On my PSR-E models I always insert a USB flash drive after the keyboard has been turned on. That's also the case when I'm using the flash drive with a computer, so the operation is exactly the same-- there's no need to turn off the keyboard, insert the flash drive, and then turn the keyboard back on.

I always disconnect the USB flash drive while the keyboard is turned on-- which is also the case when I'm using the flash drive with a computer, so again the operation is the same, except that there's no "eject" function on the keyboard.

But you should definitely never remove a flash drive, or turn off the keyboard with the flash drive plugged in, while the flash drive is being written to by the keyboard.

As for why you should always "eject" first on a computer, the following article says there are three different types of protocols that a device can use when accessing a USB flash drive, and one of these protocols (usually) requires ejecting the flash drive before removing it:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/really-need-eject-flash-drive-device-removing/

While I'm not technically knowledgeable enough about USB to judge the veracity of that article, it basically says that the reason for ejecting the flash drive first is to ensure that the write cache has been "flushed" and all data written to the drive. It also mentions possible corruption due to the "abrupt" removal of the power being supplied to the flash drive, but I'm not sure whether that's actually a factor.

Anyway, I have plugged and unplugged many a USB flash drive on my PSR-E models without turning them off, and have never had any problems. But if I accidentally unplug a USB flash drive on my computer without ejecting it first, I will get a message about the drive not having been properly ejected the next time I plug it in. I never get that message on the computer after unplugging the flash drive from the keyboard while the keyboard is on.

But as I said, you should check the manual for your keyboard to see what procedure it says to use.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
On a computer you risk corrupting the flash drive and even rendering it unreadable if you eject DURING a write operation.

Even so, how hard is it to right click the USB icon in your system tray and safely remove even if you are not currently writing to it?

Secondly, while music keyboards don't have a flash drive eject button they also have very primitive USB driver software built in.

Removal during a write or format operation on a music keyboard most likely WILL ruin the drive.

While you may luck out removing a drive from a music keyboard without powering down first if the drive is inactive, again, how hard is it to shut down and restart the keyboard to remove it safely?

Cheap insurance... :p Free of charge...

Personally I can live with the 15 seconds it takes for a reboot to safely protect a $30 or $40 thumb drive :)

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, this is going way off topic from the original questions and the OP has not yet responded to my questions about how they've hooked them up.

Since this is a Yamaha thread anyway, I'll gracefully bow out and unwatch the thread since I have nothing else to add about Yamaha keyboards.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for answers.

Seems my flash drive was corrupted from double formatting it on the keyboard. Fixed flash drive partition on pc and formed in keyboard again. Can actually now use it and open in computer to transfer recordings to pc.

and @happyrat1

back USB (usb to host I think it was..) is connected to my tablet now and then when I use synthesia.
Headphones obviously headphones.
Back 3.5mm (aux in think it was) connected to tablet to listen through headphones what comes from tablet.
and front USB flash drive.

Altho I do want to start recording my sessions somehow directly to audacity.

-----

So anyone got tips what would best method to have multiple aux in connected?

I want to achieve following.
1. Play keyboard using headphones.
2. Have tablet connected to hear its audio.
3. Have computer connected to record my keyboard sessions straight to PC
(4. Have tablet connected and(/or) PC to play with synthesia and such now and then)

I imagine I will need interface?

Reaction score
Is your keyboard being seen OK by your PC?

I will repeat what I said prior, you will need to download and install the correct Driver file for your keyboard before the PC will see it, once installed plug in your keyboard via USB lead then power up your keyboard.

Once the keyboard is seen by your PC, it will be shown in Control Panel > Device Manager, you should then be able to set Audacity to see your keyboard as its input, it will not default, you have to set it manually.

Do not connect anything to or from your keyboard with it turned on.

Reaction score
Is your keyboard being seen OK by your PC?

I will repeat what I said prior, you will need to download and install the correct Driver file for your keyboard before the PC will see it, once installed plug in your keyboard via USB lead then power up your keyboard.

Once the keyboard is seen by your PC, it will be shown in Control Panel > Device Manager, you should then be able to set Audacity to see your keyboard as its input, it will not default, you have to set it manually.

Do not connect anything to or from your keyboard with it turned on.

. . .
Altho I do want to start recording my sessions somehow directly to audacity.

There's a problem with Biggles' suggestion:

. . . Audacity is an _audio_ recorder, not a MIDI recorder;

. . . As I read the manual, the DGX-660 _cannot_ transfer audio to the computer over the USB cable.

There are two ways to get audio into the computer, from the DGX-660:

a) Record a "user song" onto the DGX-660, and convert it to an audio file stored on the USB flash drive (using the DGX-660 instructions, manual, page 85).

Then, plug the USB flash drive into the computer, and "Import" the audio file into Audacity. Once it's in Audacity, you can use all of Audacity's editing functions.

b) Use the Phones/ Output jack (analog, stereo signal (2 channels)) on the DGX-660, and connect it by audio cable to either:

1. the computer's "Line In" jack (you'll need a stereo "Line In", which most computers don't have) (if it's built into the computer, its driver should be installed as part of the operating system), or

2. an "audio interface" (= "fancy sound card") with two input channels. That will probably come with its own driver software.​

Audacity will see the computer's own "Line In", or the audio interface's driver, in its list of available inputs.

I feel like apologizing for the extra complexity. But -- for reasons known only to the Marketing Department -- most DP's _don't_ have an "audio-over-USB" link.

. Charles

Ask a Question