Keyboard $600

Reaction score
Hi people, this is my first thread in the forum. I'm looking for a keyboard between $500 - $600 with these features:

At least 7 octaves
Semi weigthed keys
Real size keys
MIDI controller function
Knobs for CC automation (mandatory)
Sustain Pedal

I'll appreciate your help with recommendations!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Are you looking for a "dumb" MIDI controller with no built in voices or more along the lines of a performance keyboard or workstation?

Either way, with your budget I'd be looking at a used Casio Privia PX-350 or PX-360.

Either of these would give you the most bang for the buck providing an 88 fully weighted hammer action controller along with some modest workstation capabilities.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Are you looking for a "dumb" MIDI controller with no built in voices or more along the lines of a performance keyboard or workstation?

Either way, with your budget I'd be looking at a used Casio Privia PX-350 or PX-360.

Either of these would give you the most bang for the buck providing an 88 fully weighted hammer action controller along with some modest workstation capabilities.

Gary ;)
Hi Gary thanks for the reply. Basically I'd like to acquire a keyboard which functions as a decent keyboard instrument (with just a grand piano sound is enough, with possibilities to play intermediate piano pieces) but also as a good MIDI controller with knobs to control automation, since I am beginning to work with film scoring and stuff) I know it's not a great budget but it's just for starting.

I will check them out!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Either way don't get sidetracked by Casio's new PX-S series. Casio's gone downhill recently and cut some significant corners on anything released in the past year or two.

The PX-350 and PX-360 have surprisingly professional features and are better than their successors in most ways.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
If you want to buy new as opposed to used, I think the closest you'll get is the Numa Compact 2X which typically sells for $699.

None of the Casios mentioned have semi weighted keys, much MIDI controller functionality or knobs (or sliders) for MIDI CCs, so they don't really meet your criteria.

Reaction score
If you want to buy new as opposed to used, I think the closest you'll get is the Numa Compact 2X which typically sells for $699.

None of the Casios mentioned have semi weighted keys, much MIDI controller functionality or knobs (or sliders) for MIDI CCs, so they don't really meet your criteria.
Ohh I haven't heard about that one before. I will also check that one and yes definitely I want a keyboard with knobs/sliders

Reaction score
Welcome.

Your semi weighted action requirements sort of limits your choices as does onboard instrument voices, sliders also limit choices.

Scott’s suggestion of the Studiologic Numa Compact 2X is the obvious choice but also look at the controllers that they produce if you can manage without onboard sounds.

Most keyboards up to and a few hundred dollars above your budget have a light synth action whereas the digital pianos have a full hammer action but tend to lack the control features.

Check out a Roland Juno DS 76, it would be a compromise but a plus point in my book would be the vast onboard array of included instrument voices. New these retail at c$900 but you may find on an auction or reseller site.

As for a sustain pedal, check out an M-Audio SP2 which is universally compatible and has an inbuilt polarity changeover switch and they should retail at c$20.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome.

Your semi weighted action requirements sort of limits your choices as does onboard instrument voices, sliders also limit choices.

Scott’s suggestion of the Studiologic Numa Compact 2X is the obvious choice but also look at the controllers that they produce if you can manage without onboard sounds.

Most keyboards up to and a few hundred dollars above your budget have a light synth action whereas the digital pianos have a full hammer action but tend to lack the control features.

Check out a Roland Juno DS 76, it would be a compromise but a plus point in my book would be the vast onboard array of included instrument voices. New these retail at c$900 but you may find on an auction or reseller site.

As for a sustain pedal, check out an M-Audio SP2 which is universally compatible and has an inbuilt polarity changeover switch and they should retail at c$20.
Ohh yes I understand what you said. Probably that Roland is out of my budget... Do you know if it's possible to adapt some sliders or knobs so that they work in DAWs separately from a digital piano?

Reaction score
Yes... and in fact, the combination of the NumaCompact2 and the Korg NanoKontrol would be cheaper than the NumaCompact 2X, so would better fit your budget.

Ask a Question