Keyboard Amp Recommendation please

Reaction score
Keyboard Amp Recommendation please.

I’m looking to spend about £400 ($400) on a new keyboard amp to use with a Nord Lead A1.

It’s only for home use (will never leave the house) in a small home recording studio so basically for monitoring/listening purposes. I don’t need mega volume, but I would like something that has decent deep bass that you can feel.

The two (after looking around and doing a tad of research) that keep coming up are the Roland KC-80 and the Peavey KB-2. Or I suppose I could just buy a pair of Yamaha HS-8 active monitors and plug the synth into those.

Whatever I go for it will be perminanly installed in my small home recording studio. I even thought of just putting the synth through a regular Hi-Fi amp and a pair fo regular Hi-Fi speakers, but not convinced about this.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated as I really don’t know anything about keyboard amps.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Forget about keyboard amps.

You're far better off with a couple of Nearfield Studio Monitors.

Sound quality comparisons are like night and day.

Depending on the size of the space a couple of 100 watt 5 inch monitors will do, along with a 100 watt 8 inch subwoofer.

I can highly recommend the Presonus Eris E5's, or whatever has replaced them in the last three years.

The bass is over the top on these guys already and I feel no need for a subwoofer.

If I hit the lowest two octaves on a piano voice it's already enough to rattle my teeth. Some basic EQ adjustments might be necessary to tune them to your liking.

That's my recommendation. Buy the E5's and add a sub later on if you feel the need.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The Eris 5 Ex that Gary suggests will be c£220 for a pair or c£300 for the E7 EX, I used a pair of the Eris 4.5 for a while, pretty good sound but a bit lacking in bass.

You may also like to research a Korg Konnect, it is a single stereo PA with 180W and is about £380. Not tried one myself but they get good reports over on the Korg Forum.

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on near field monitors. That's what I suspected, actually. I also suspect the Korg Connect (interesting a product as it is) will be closer in sound quality to a keyboard amp and still not as good as studio near field monitors.

The PreSonos E7 look good, the E8 might be better for bass with the bigger bass driver and I suspect they won't need a sub.

Only slight issue I can see with near field monitors is, plugged directly into Nord Lead A1, there is no way of adjusting any basic EQ such as bass, mid, treble.

Reaction score
You will find that on the rear of various powered monitors there is frequently tonal adjustments and in the case of the Eris 7 there is individual adjustment of mid range and high frequencies as well as an overall gain control.

Feeding via a mixer will give individual low, mid and high frequency adjustments Hence a £100 mixer and Eris7’s at £300 and you are within your £400 budget.

Feeding via a Parametric mixer will give you very fine control of frequencies and the centre point of each adjustment band

Last edited:
Reaction score
Biggles, I just looked over them and the specs, see what you mean about tonal adjustments. Not sure whether to go for the 8's or the 5's with a sub. Latter comes in cheaper and I know the bass will go deeper and I suspect the 5's will sound about the same as 8's by the time high-pass has been applied to the 8s when using a sub with them.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'd suggest visiting a music store and auditioning them for yourselves.

My living/dining area is about 300 sq ft and the E5's are more than bassy enough.

Acoustic engineering has come a hell of a long way since the old days of acoustic suspension speakers.

Modern ported designs can deliver a hell of a lot of bass with minimal drivers.

As for using a mixer to control EQ and FX? That's pretty much a given and should be factored into your budget.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I have no idea where in the UK you live but I currently live a short drive from about 20 sizeable Music Stores, including:- A&C Hamilton, Music Matter, Rimmer's, Dawson’s and the biggest of all PMT in Manchester.

I appreciate Gary’s suggestion of trying in-store however I tried to do just that at Music Matter a couple of weeks ago and I did not get into the store for nobody is now allowed to go into the store.

Last time I was in PMT there vast keyboard area had everything connected to local systems so they may be a good place to start although what their Covid restrictions are I have no idea, they have branches throughout the Country.

Rimmer‘s are by appointment only if you want to try kit.

Hence if you do want to try do give ythem a call first.

Reaction score
Biggles, I'm Cambridge and PMT here is quite small and they don't have much on display. Few keyboard, few speakers, nothing really. I figured I'd just buy a few different makes/models from Amazon and return the ones I don't want. Going to shops is a royal pain in the arse at the moment so I don't bother, not for a few more years anyway.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One question though?

You try out speaker brands A, B and C in that order...

Then you find out after C that A was the best of the bunch....

How do you proceed from there?

Do you (1) order item A again after you've returned it? or (2) order in all 3 at once and test them side by side?

I don't even think @Kaneda had the stones to try option (2) :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Ask a Question