Can I use an acoustic guitar amp for a rhodes/wurlitzer keyboard?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a new Yamaha line keyboard: a Yamaha reface CP, which reproduces vintage sounds. It has two amazing Rhodes sounds, a Wulitzer, and a few other ones. I just bought a Roland kc-220 keyboard amp but the sound is very muffled imo. I am looking for a very clean, pristine sound, and so I thought of buying a Roland AC-33, which is an acoustic guitar amp. They say it has the clarity, but I wonder: will the rhodes and wurlitzer sounds (being pretty low freq sometimes) eventually wear out the speakers on an acoustic guitar amp, or could I just use it?

Thanks a bunch!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! We have had much discussion about keyboard amplification in past posts, and you should be able to find a good bit of information via our search feature, and/or browsing through the past posts. In short, the majority of self contained amplifiers don't do justice to piano sounds. Home players sometimes use studio monitors for lower volumn use. Or for those who perform in live band situations, self amplified PA speakers are better at reproducing keyboards at higher volumes. Of course, for most of us budget is often the limiting factor. I use headphones, studio monitors, powered speakers, or in-ear monitors depending on the situation. Sometime we just have to use what we have available, so using the Roland amp will do if that is what you have available. Do you know anyone who has a Mackie Thump (or similar) powered speaker with at least a 12' speaker? If you can try one with your keyboard I think it will tell you a lot.
Good luck, Don aka B3maniac

Reaction score
My thoughts .....

If you are looking for a clean sound then purchase a small Powered PA (PPA) speaker; they are much cleaner than the muffled Roland KC series. Check out an EV ZXA1; nice compact speaker (19 pounds) which is close to the same weight as your kc-220, much cleaner sound and much more powerful. Price is relatively close to the price of a kc-220.

Rhodes especially were often run through a electric guitar amp like a fender twin, Vox AC30, a Marshall or a Fender Bassman to give it that true Rhodes sound. If this is the sound that you might be looking for consider a small electric guitar amp.

I use a gemini module (Link) which has a modeled Rhodes and Wurli in it; I apply an electric guitar amp effect ( i think I'm using the Fender Twin simulation) and then run it through a PPA. It sounds sweet ......The former keyboard player in the band I'm playing in came out to see our band last weekend. He was blown away by the sound of the Rhodes I was using.

Reaction score
Welcome

Before the other guys start in earnest recommending kit likely to result in a second mortgage do you have a budget in mind?

Powered Monitors/PA is the way to go and the main suggestion here is Pre Sonus Eris 5 which for the XT versions 80W will cost c$300 a pair. I have a pair of 4.5 which serve me well at the home volume I use them at.

For an amp check out Vox VX50Kb small body 8" speaker, it is a dedicated keyboard amp with 50W and three channels

Reaction score
I also like powered PA speakers, with the ZXa1 being a great lightweight choice, or if you can deal with some higher weight (and higher budget), I think the QSC K8.2 is even better. But there could be other variables to consider which could shift your priorities. You've got a Reface and you mentioned KC220 and AC33, so maybe battery operation is important? (Bose S1 Pro could be another to consider there.) Also, are you playing alone or with other musicians? If alone, is it just for yourself or do you need enough volume for an audience (e.g. busking)? If you'll be playing with other musicians, would it be acoustic, or an electric/drums ensemble, which again calls for higher volume? Or are you only playing in a stationary location at home, in which case you can get very nice quality from a pair of small studio monitors (e.g. JBL 305P MkII)?

As for your actual question about AC33 vs. KC220, I don't think you'll find the AC33 to be a step up in quality from the KC220. To the specific question about how it handles bass, it will depend in part on how loud you're playing, but my bigger concern for keys might be the highs rather than the lows. The AC33 uses full range 5" speakers, and 5" isn't small enough to give you the highs you'd get out of any two way system... the KC220 at least has the virtue of woofers and tweeters.
For more about the Roland speakers, this is an interesting thread:
(The KC110 is the predecessor of the KC220)

and covering the Rolands and others from a piano perspective, this is a good thread:

Reaction score
For an amp check out Vox VX50Kb small body 8" speaker, it is a dedicated keyboard amp with 50W and three channels
That could be another interesting possibility, if something very small/portable is called for (but not battery). I'd like to try one some time. Its tube might warm up EPs nicely. The speaker is a coax, so there is a tweeter as well.

Reaction score
That could be another interesting possibility, if something very small/portable is called for (but not battery). I'd like to try one some time. Its tube might warm up EPs nicely. The speaker is a coax, so there is a tweeter as well.

There is a Member in this thread who bought the Vox

Reaction score
Another KC-220/AC-33 alternative that could be worth looking at is the Korg Konnect. Like those, it is stereo (another variable we haven't really discussed here), though it doesn't run on batteries.

Ask a Question