KN6500 Questions

Reaction score
Hi Mris - Custom Data is a different thing in Technics keyboards.
I'll have a look again at that collection and convert it again to KN5000 and we'll see what happens - interesting challenge is this...
Rog
Hi again Roger
The skyfall style works like it should be thanks for your quick response.
If you ever need someone to test files I am at your disposal.
So it seems the whole collection 1 zip has the same error.
Should I verfy other files ?
mris

Reaction score
Have a look at some of the other files on my web site - the rest of those in that collection must all be KN7000...

Reaction score
Have a look at some of the other files on my web site - the rest of those in that collection must all be KN7000...
These files succeed to load
itsasin,ladymarmalade,livpra.,relax,lovest,with you,love,what is love
These files did NOT
hungup,sweetlove,whatsup,feel love
i will do some others test and let you know the results.
take care
mris

Reaction score
hi roger
The following styles have been tested for use on a KN6000
1)passed the test: funky town, feels like iamin love,chinagirl,centerfold,bohemian
2)failed the test: goyourownway,dostop,dontstopbelievin,chansondamour,dancing queen.
I will check the other styles asap.
take care
mris

Reaction score
Hi Pete and Rmepstead
As far as I know one of the differences between the kn6000 and the kn6500 was the provision of a wave expansion slot.
So for the KN6500 a SY-EW02NX and a EW65 NX can be placed.( and used after upgrading)
I downloaded some files from the technics kn7000styles and tried them on a kn6000 , but got an error" not made for this item)
Maybe you have more luck. I think they were made by an KN7000 even on KN5000 level but the item numbers are different.
I will thank RMepstead for freely using his files and meanwhile I stay searching
mris
mris,
I downloaded all of the sound files from the KN7000 legacy site and got the same message as you did, namely it said, "00 Not made for this item". I guess these sounds were saved from a KN7000 and posted to the website. So, I guess the search continues. I thought somewhere I read that these sounds, (all except ES04, is this designation correct?), are compatible with the 6000 onward. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks!
Pete

Reaction score
mris,
I downloaded all of the sound files from the KN7000 legacy site and got the same message as you did, namely it said, "00 Not made for this item". I guess these sounds were saved from a KN7000 and posted to the website. So, I guess the search continues. I thought somewhere I read that these sounds, (all except ES04, is this designation correct?), are compatible with the 6000 onward. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks!

The puzzling thing is that on my laptop it shows about 36 TM files on the floppy disk and on the keyboard screen it shows only 8 on the floppy. Why the discrepancy? There are 4 files created by a sound synthesis company and those files are described as working for the KN5000 - 7000. Yet they don't show up in the screen of the keyboard. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The puzzling thing is that on my laptop it shows about 36 TM files on the floppy disk and on the keyboard screen it shows only 8 on the floppy. Why the discrepancy? There are 4 files created by a sound synthesis company and those files are described as working for the KN5000 - 7000. Yet they don't show up in the screen of the keyboard. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Hi Pete
I think there is a difference between converting styles via software and via KB.
(see #16 used software EMC files works)
You can see the results of my test in #24 en #25.( maybe you can try them)
TIP: to'find out which styles are usable in your kb please compare the extensions of the downloads with the data loading (in options)
Use ONLY those you find useful .( if you want to use your own settings just copy the CMP files and neglect the others.
Watch out for panel changes.
stay save
mris

Reaction score
mris,
The files I'm trying to load are TM tone/sound files. Does that make a difference?
TM in technics stands for sound memory files, the sounds you make with your kb, I dont know what the effect will be when they are made on another keyboard so be careful with that

Reaction score
mris,
Only 8 of the 36 appear on the kb screen. (4 of those from the Pop expansion board appear, but won't load). I think the initialization of the floppy disk may keep those files from being seen or loaded since they aren't meant for this kb, KN6500. I wouldn't be doing this if someone hadn't reported that the files work on a KN6500. I will be careful. Thx!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I found 14 technics extension till now, for the KN6000 there are 7 for performance, for the 6500 maybe there are 8 if
made available in data loading options. for the expansion board normal there is a special indication in the load option.
So 36 seems to me that there is more than one song in the listing. Loading TM data can alter your instrument presets.!!!.
stay save
mris

Reaction score
mris,
This is interesting. I changed the names of some of the files and most of the ones that I could load before I no longer can. However a couple of files became visible and were able to be loaded. So it seems like renaming and configuring the file extensions so that they will work in my keyboard is the answer. Can you share with me where you figured this out it? If so, I will change the file names back to their original names and I will change the extensions to the right name. Is there a program that allows you to do this? Thanks to everyone for their help. There’s a lot of online posts that say that most, if not all, of these files will work on the KN 6500 so I’m just trying to figure it out. Thanks!
Pete

Reaction score
Pete
Before loading data (other than midi)you need to know which data your kb recognizes.
Converted files to be used on a Technics kb must have data that can be read by Technics kb because you are gonna change
your internal memory.
Depending on the kb type you can see which data can be loaded and read.
Most common are
For ex. current panel file = extension LSW
panel memory file = extension PMT
Sequencer = SFQ
composer = CMP
sound memory = TM
effect mory = EFC
So you should not change file extension but you DO have to change the song number.
for ex. song i need.
you want to load the data for the sequencer and the composer
01i need.SEQ
01i need.CMP
If you are just interested in the style than load the .CMP

have fun
mris

Reaction score
Pete
Before loading data (other than midi)you need to know which data your kb recognizes.
Converted files to be used on a Technics kb must have data that can be read by Technics kb because you are gonna change
your internal memory.
Depending on the kb type you can see which data can be loaded and read.
Most common are
For ex. current panel file = extension LSW
panel memory file = extension PMT
Sequencer = SFQ
composer = CMP
sound memory = TM
effect mory = EFC
So you should not change file extension but you DO have to change the song number.
for ex. song i need.
you want to load the data for the sequencer and the composer
01i need.SEQ
01i need.CMP
If you are just interested in the style than load the .CMP

have fun
mris
mris,
I think I'm going to leave it alone. It's time consuming and the dividends are a mixed bag at best. I love exploration and discovery, but this board is 20 years old and many of the experienced users of this board are older and have moved on from daily use and discovery of features. I'd pay for a usable zip file with all of the usable tone (TM) files from the 4 expansion boards if someone would make them available.

Reaction score
hoi Pete
It will be difficult to find someone who has all this info.
I actually dont know how many different TM there are in the 4 modules.
Maybe you might want to look around for a second or third generation sound module (www.V3sound.com)
indeed the board is more than 20 years old and I started with the second generation years ago.
Now as an older user (74) I still want to switch to the third generation (midi) and hope to play it for 10'or more years.
It looks like our KB have this capability.
I am currently analyzing the possibilities
playing music is having fun
stay save

Reaction score
mris,
Thx for the link. I have downloaded all the sounds from all four expansion boards to my laptop, but I can't get my KN 6500 to load the sounds from the floppy drive.
Thx
Pete

Reaction score
Pete
I need more info why you can not load.
What kind of info do you see on your laptop.
If there are multiple squares with japanese characters then this file should load.
If it does not load than the fourth digit in your sysex means " not for this item)
The sysex code must start with F0 50....
To find the TM info you can create a NEW sound and save it in memory, store the saved sound
on a disk and read the info (your kb code and sysex) with your DAW.
Hope this can help.

Reaction score
mris,
So it’s a matter of changing the sys ex code to F0 50 for each tone file that won’t load? I can take a look once I get power back on at the house. A storm came thru last night and let me unplugged.

Reaction score
Pete
I hope everything is ok after the storm.
Just change the F0 and 50 ?.....I wish it was that simple!!!
The sysex gives us the MIDI info used for a CERTAIN PURPOSES.
Its like the ingredients in a cake.
A full line like the one below contains a PORTION of the content (ingredients)
F0 50 2C 20 7E 1F 00 00 7F 00 F7
This one line contains the MIDI HEX language that represent the content of the key usage for chosing a sound in the sound explorer
on channel one for R1 in a split keyboard.

Reading the code
F0 and F7 (beginning and end of a sentence) F0 indicate that it is the start SOMETHING EXCLUSIVE and is the same for every brand.
What lies between these values is characteristic for the brand (ingredients)
50 = used a technics; 2C= keyboard;20 =type/serie ID; 7E using a EXTENSION of the midi standard;7F QRT (question routine)
F7 end of line one for this setting
Other lines (not copied) follow and indicate the settings regarding the adjustments made to the original sound.
For better understanding take a look at the internet about midi messages, protocols,and controllers.
I hope this will help,
BTW . can you send me the link where you downloaded the files for the 4 expansion boards?
Stay safe

Ask a Question