Korg M50 Sounds and stuff

Reaction score
Hello once more.

This post will be for us to discuss snd share sounds and programs done in our synths.

And i will open the discussion with this:

The Korg M50 i've recently purchased have very cool sounds, but there are some sounds i was looking to find in here but i didn't...

For example, i was hoping to find what (i think) it's called 'Attack Strings'
Something like this:

But all the strings here are very 'slow' and sound seems to 'grow' over time instead of having full power at the first hit.
Do i have to make my own 'Poweful Strings'??

The other thing i wanted to discuss is the following:
When i was looking to buy a synth, i was divided between Korg M50 and Roland GW8.
This is because i loved this Orchestra sound on the GW8 (Around 1:04)

But the M50 has no sound similar to this one :(
Is it possible to put a sound like this on the M50??

Please post =)

Reaction score
For the Strings sound, you can adjust the "Attack" to every sound you like. For Strings, some have the Attack set to Knob 1. So turning the Knob should change the Attack to either slow, which makes it fade in. Or fast, to make it like that Nightwish song.

However, for a more permanent change, you can go to Tone Adjust on the main page, and adjust the "F/A EG Attack Time" parameter (shortened "F/A EG A" on the screen, it's number 5), and then save it when you're satisfied.
Even though I haven't memorized what every string sound on the keyboard sounds like, I'm pretty sure that there is a preset with a quick attack as well.

About the Orchestra sound, the M50 does have plenty of Orchestral sounds in Combi mode --> 05 Orchestral. Among my favourites are "Orchestral Passage", "Concert in the Castle" and "Renaissance Ensemble".

What I usually do for fat orchestral sounds is that I use Orchestral Passage, and add a Timpani layer at the lower octaves, gives you quite a fat sound :)
If you do that, and perhaps add some more lower-register strings or some other type of bass-ish sound, you will have a very similar effect to that Roland :)

Reaction score
If you bought the GW8 you'd be crying in a week - trust me.

You are waaaay better off with the M50. There is no way to edit sounds
and create combis on the GW8 as you can on the M50.

If you don't have a PRESET sound you want - CREATE it yourself!

Don't be lazy :)

You just got the keyboard so don't rush into stuff. Take it step by step and
learn to program it. Once you get around it you'll see how powerful stuff can be made.

Especially when it comes to Korg's IFX (which you have 5 on the M50).

Take a look at Dan Stesco's combis for the M50
http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14898

Just to get an idea :)

Ask a Question