KORG M50 vs M3

Reaction score
Hi all, well, yesterday I sold my Trinity V3 with the intent of either getting the M50 or M3. I am looking for a synth for live performance. Price isn't a consideration.

I get the spec difference in the models and understand the studio ramifications of getting an M50 over the M3... Since I mostly play live these days with bread and butter patches, I am looking for an agile board that it's easy to change patches on and quickly.

I guess I am wondering mainly if the M50 is adequate. I never utilized the V3 at all, just loved the sounds.

Are the major differences in the keybeds? I do not intend on getting an 88 key model in either. Either a 61 or 76/3 model most likely.

Thanks ahead of time for any and all responses.

Reaction score
Both the M50 and the M3 are using the very same Sound Engine, so the sound-quality of the to are identical. The main differences that I've noticed that the M3 has which the M50 does not have are:

1. Sampler
2. Ribbon controller
3. A few extra sliders
4. 8 Touch-sensitive chord-pads, instead of M50s 4 buttons.
5. More empty bankslots to save your own sounds
6. The M3 can record Audio into its sequencer, while the M50 only records MIDI, so you can actually plug in a guitar, base or whatever into the M3 and record to its sequencer.
7. Detachable sound module. You can detach the M3 sound module from the keybed, so if you have a MIDI controller at your rehearsal place, you just have to carry the module there instead of the whole keyboard (this was actually the main reason to why I considered the M3 over the M50 to begin with).
8. The M3 has aftertouch, which the M50 lacks.
9. You can plug a USB-drive to the M3 to save your sounds on, instead of a SD card.

I think that's all of the things I know about. The M3 does have quite a few things that the M50 lacks, but in the end I really don't think it's worth the extra cash it costs. That's just my opinion, though...

Hope this helped!

EDIT: Oh! I forgot the most important difference of them all! The M3 has KARMA, while the M50 simply uses an arpeggiator as the rest of the brands.

Reaction score
Have you had a look at what the Yamaha Motif can do. Ive got the 88 key version and although I have only used a tiny bit of what the it can do, I reckon the only drawback is getting ya head around driving the thing, there is so much!.
Robin

Reaction score
you forgot one major thing... M3 has the best synth-action keybed today.

M50 has plasticky keys that come on cheaper models like the TR.
Trinity has a better keybed then the M50.

The only thing the M3 lacks are usable combis. I had a Trinity a while back
and almost every comby sounded like a 90's song. The M3 uses KARMA
in all combis and they are set up for it... so if you don't mind creating your own - it's fine.

But if you excpect standard Korg combis (like the brilliant combis on the trinity/triton) - you won't find them in the M3

Reaction score
Even though the original poster chose M3, I thought I should point out that KARMA is available for the M50 (among others), though it runs on your computer. If interested, Karma-Lab (http://www.karma-lab.com/) is the place to go. Plans for KARMA on non-Korg keyboards are also in the works, with at least one supported now.

Reaction score
M50

you forgot one major thing... M3 has the best synth-action keybed today.

M50 has plasticky keys that come on cheaper models like the TR.
Trinity has a better keybed then the M50.

The only thing the M3 lacks are usable combis. I had a Trinity a while back
and almost every comby sounded like a 90's song. The M3 uses KARMA
in all combis and they are set up for it... so if you don't mind creating your own - it's fine.

But if you excpect standard Korg combis (like the brilliant combis on the trinity/triton) - you won't find them in the M3

I have the M50 88 and this keyboard has Korg's top-of-the-line RH3 Graded Hammer Action waterfall keys which the 61 model does not. The M50 88 has a great feel, touch and one of the best keyboard actions I have ever played. It also is the first 88 weighted Korg keyboard that weighs under 50 lbs. The only challenge with 88 graded hammer actions is when playing organs patches because a B-3 would have a lighter waterfall key bed. Anyway. I really enjoy playing the M50 88.

katt

Reaction score
I have the M50 88 and this keyboard has Korg's top-of-the-line RH3 Graded Hammer Action waterfall keys which the 61 model does not. The M50 88 has a great feel, touch and one of the best keyboard actions I have ever played. It also is the first 88 weighted Korg keyboard that weighs under 50 lbs. The only challenge with 88 graded hammer actions is when playing organs patches because a B-3 would have a lighter waterfall key bed. Anyway. I really enjoy playing the M50 88.

katt

When I said "plasticky" keys - I was refering to the 61 key version.

All workstations in their 88 key versions have hammer action keybeds

Reaction score
I'm just back from the music shop, I noticed an M3 there so I played around for a whlie, was very impressed by the initial patch, combi 000 I think "toward the sun"

does the M50 have this patch?

Ask a Question