Korg Nautilus MIDI Set up to external Korg Kross 2. Want the sounds of Nautilus.

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, so thank you for all your feedback in advance.

I have been playing keyboards for over 20 years and found I have been satisfied with all my Korg keyboards going back to the Trinity. I just purchased a Korg Nautilus and I am struggling with the MIDI set up (Send & Receive). I am not new to the MIDI language but boy am I stumped here. I am trying to use the sounds from the Korg Nautilus as my primary (Piano, Organs, Strings, Brass, etc.) and also use a Korg Kross 2 as an external MIDI controller to trigger certain patches from the Nautilus when needing to play leads (Electric Guitars, Fiddles, Synth Leads, etc.). It seems simple enough to set the combi patch to a separate midi channel and change the global settings to the midi channel on the board receiving the midi...however, I am missing something as I can't get the Kross 2 Board to control the lead patches and/or act as the Lead Instrument. I like the action of the Kross 2 for taking leads and I like the Nautilus for playing piano and strings and some organs. So I do I set this up? Midi out of Kross 2 to Midi In Nautilus? Do I set up the Combi on the Kross 2 or the Nautilus? In Global Settings, do I have Local On or Off? Do the output to the mixer come out of the Nautilus of the Kross? Sorry for all the questions, but after trying to trouble shoot this for the last 7 days and not finding much help on YouTube or the Manuals, I am reaching out to you guys for some direction! Thanks again for any direction you can assist with. It will help with my stress levels...thats for sure! Be well and stay safe!

Reaction score
Midi out of Kross 2 to Midi In Nautilus?
yes

Do I set up the Combi on the Kross 2 or the Nautilus?
nautilus

In Global Settings, do I have Local On or Off?
nautilus= on
kross= doesn't matter, since you're not using its sounds anyway, and you're not connecting its output to anything (per next paragraph)

Do the output to the mixer come out of the Nautilus of the Kross?
nautilus

It seems simple enough to set the combi patch to a separate midi channel and change the global settings to the midi channel on the board receiving the midi...
more specifically, since that's ambiguous... "set the Nautilus combi timbre to a midi channel that is different from the Nautilus' global channel and change the Kross global settings to the midi channel you selected for that Nautilus combi timbre"

I think that should do it...

Reaction score
yes

nautilus

nautilus= on
kross= doesn't matter, since you're not using its sounds anyway, and you're not connecting its output to anything (per next paragraph)

nautilus

more specifically, since that's ambiguous... "set the Nautilus combi timbre to a midi channel that is different from the Nautilus' global channel and change the Kross global settings to the midi channel you selected for that Nautilus combi timbre"

I think that should do it...
Thank you for the support! I followed step by step and it is now working! 7 Days of stress are gone and now on to months of enjoyment! Thank you again! Be well and stay safe!

Ask a Question