Korg Nautilus vs. Yamaha Montage - Live Use

Reaction score
Hi,

Im new to this forum so thanks for having me. I’m currently considering modernising my keyboard touring rig and would really value the opinions of experience in this forum. I was very driven to go for the Korg Kronos 2 until I heard it being discontinued, and haven’t heard anything about a possible Kronos 3, especially as Korg have released the Nautilus which I know isn’t a replacement but does have modern tech.

My use for my rig is centred around live use rather than studio work, and I use Camelot Pro has the centre piece for my rig, which currently consists of;

Roland XP-80
KORG trinity
Korg Trition rack
Korg X5DR rack
Multiple software apps - Ravenscroft, SWAM, iSymphoni, GeoShred and heavy brass and quite a few more …..

Yes, I know the above boards are 25 years old now, but I have loved using them all this time and still to this day I am often complimented on the sound of the keys in our touring shows which is mainly pop/light rock genre.

I’d be interested in thoughts from the community on great live boards that have great orchestral/synth/80’s analogue sounds suited for live use rather than studio.

Reaction score
I've heard the Korg Kronos 2, and the Korg Nautilus and I think they sound great. But I think the Montage "sounds" better. Its subjective, I know.

I don't have a Montage but do have a MODX. The sounds are the same, but it weighs a fraction of the Montage and is less than 40% of the price. Cheaper than the Nautilus also, but with a stack more "live" controller function.

Since part of your query is Studio vs Live, I would suggest you at least try the MODX... it may be exactly what you are looking for. Some Montage owners bought an additional MODX specifically for Stage work... the User Patches are directly transferrable from Montage ( Studio ) to MODX ( Stage ).

You lose 64 Polyphony on the MODX (FM = 64, AWM = 128) vs Montage (FM = 128, AWM = 128). You get a cheaper Keybed (still decent though), lose 4 columns of physical controllers (but still switchable 1-4 & 5-8), lose a few USB Audio Channels (you still get 2 in, 10 out). You get a tough plastic carcass (not metal), a Wall Wart Power Supply (not IEC), and direct (not balanced) 1/4" Outputs and Inputs. But, you can carry the MODX under your arm, and you probably won't miss the luxuries of the Montage once the beers starts getting thrown onto the stage.

The Yamaha YC61/73/88 is getting a lot of great Reviews... thats a Stage Keyboard with some Synth bits thrown in. The MODX is a full blown Synthesiser... which seems to be more up your street. And FWIW... I think the "Stage Keyboard" Sounds ( Piano, Organ, Rhodes, Wurli etc) sound pretty much like the real thing... I can't hear the difference, but I'm a noob.

Reaction score
There has been talk for quite a long time on the Korg forum about a Kronos successor and zero action from Korg.

Given how they release a product and then have very few available even if they released a K3 tomorrow it could be six months before they are here in any quantity and then with Version 1 OS bugs and a high initial retail price you would be very keen to buy.

Whilst the Nautilus is fairly new and of an evolution of the Kronos its OS is still 32 bit with the memory restrictions that goes with the system, not that is should be an issue. There is talk that the MOBO is an industrial ASRock design and has an SSD soldered onto it which may be an issue if a user wants to upgrade the SSD, do note this is talk on the Korg forum and would need supporting info.

The Nautilus has had its OS updated so bugs should now be far less and its cost has reduced to a level more akin to equivalent Kursweil models, here in the UK it has gone from £1990 to a current £1575 for the 61 key version.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There has been talk for quite a long time on the Korg forum about a Kronos successor and zero action from Korg.

Given how they release a product and then have very few available even if they released a K3 tomorrow it could be six months before they are here in any quantity and then with Version 1 OS bugs and a high initial retail price you would be very keen to buy.

Whilst the Nautilus is fairly new and of an evolution of the Kronos its OS is still 32 bit with the memory restrictions that goes with the system, not that is should be an issue. There is talk that the MOBO is an industrial ASRock design and has an SSD soldered onto it which may be an issue if a user wants to upgrade the SSD, do note this is talk on the Korg forum and would need supporting info.

The Nautilus has had its OS updated so bugs should now be far less and its cost has reduced to a level more akin to equivalent Kursweil models, here in the UK it has gone from £1990 to a current £1575 for the 61 key version.

Sold!!!@

Excellent analysis of the pros and cons of the Nautilus Colin. :)

This only reinforces my decision to go ahead and pull the trigger on a Nautilus by the end of this month.

Supply chain issues are murdering me with estimated delivery dates and the fear of vaporware vs FOMO.

Meanwhile, a nice young gentleman paid me a visit this morning to look at the Juno.

He seems pretty much convinced, but I have no idea about his finances.

He might have to consult with his significant other before making the purchase.

I also offered to sell a brand new Gator bag that fits it like a glove for an extra $300.

Hopefully it will be sold in a day or three. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I've heard the Korg Kronos 2, and the Korg Nautilus and I think they sound great. But I think the Montage "sounds" better. Its subjective, I know.

I don't have a Montage but do have a MODX. The sounds are the same, but it weighs a fraction of the Montage and is less than 40% of the price. Cheaper than the Nautilus also, but with a stack more "live" controller function.

Since part of your query is Studio vs Live, I would suggest you at least try the MODX... it may be exactly what you are looking for. Some Montage owners bought an additional MODX specifically for Stage work... the User Patches are directly transferrable from Montage ( Studio ) to MODX ( Stage ).

You lose 64 Polyphony on the MODX (FM = 64, AWM = 128) vs Montage (FM = 128, AWM = 128). You get a cheaper Keybed (still decent though), lose 4 columns of physical controllers (but still switchable 1-4 & 5-8), lose a few USB Audio Channels (you still get 2 in, 10 out). You get a tough plastic carcass (not metal), a Wall Wart Power Supply (not IEC), and direct (not balanced) 1/4" Outputs and Inputs. But, you can carry the MODX under your arm, and you probably won't miss the luxuries of the Montage once the beers starts getting thrown onto the stage.

The Yamaha YC61/73/88 is getting a lot of great Reviews... thats a Stage Keyboard with some Synth bits thrown in. The MODX is a full blown Synthesiser... which seems to be more up your street. And FWIW... I think the "Stage Keyboard" Sounds ( Piano, Organ, Rhodes, Wurli etc) sound pretty much like the real thing... I can't hear the difference, but I'm a noob.
Thank you tootone, that is really helpful context. I’m reaching a conclusion that it will be individual preference in whatever people may go for, but for me it needs to last, and with what is a plastic casing subjected to the riggers of the road leaves me a bit unsure …. Further investigation work needed I think. I like the fact you think Montage sounds “better”, but I’ve also just been reading up on the Roland Fantom … that seems pretty impressive :)

Reaction score

Thank you Biggles, I have to say there is something about the Nautilus that I like, although I’m not exactly sure what. There’s a great YouTube video which is playing and no talking that really showcases these sounds and I am impressed with the new PCM. But … do the sounds need updating?

Reaction score
Thank you Biggles, I have to say there is something about the Nautilus that I like, although I’m not exactly sure what. There’s a great YouTube video which is playing and no talking that really showcases these sounds and I am impressed with the new PCM. But … do the sounds need updating?

Not sure which you have looked at but this all playing one is by A&C Hamilton my local music store.

As regards updating the sounds, a paid for update bundle of sounds is available via Korg’s website.

Onboard sounds may be a little muted for some and some tweaking to global or individual sound sets may be required.

Andy and Luke from Korg UK

Anderton’s Jack Duxbury

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you tootone, that is really helpful context. I’m reaching a conclusion that it will be individual preference in whatever people may go for, but for me it needs to last, and with what is a plastic casing subjected to the riggers of the road leaves me a bit unsure …. Further investigation work needed I think. I like the fact you think Montage sounds “better”, but I’ve also just been reading up on the Roland Fantom … that seems pretty impressive :)

Yeah, the extent of my musical horizon is the local bars, by contrast I suspect there are probably a stack of Pro Touring Musicians in here.

Another way to look at the MODX maybe is a "Freebie". Buy the Nautilus AND a MODX6. You get to experience the Nautilus in person and the Montage by Proxy, because the OS and Sounds on the MODX are identical to the Montage.

If you like the MODX, flip it and buy a Montage (you shouldn't have any problems finding buyers, they are extremely popular I hear).

Ask a Question