Korg pa1000 shuts down during a performance.

Reaction score
I am recently experiencing a sudden shut down of the keyboard. I may happen once every 3 or 4 gigs. I replaced the power supply and went for a couple months of gigs without a glitch. Now this weekend it happened again. May look into taking it in for service? Has anyone had this experience? Korg pa1000 users?

Reaction score
It has been reported as happening before, not just on the 1000 but on the 700 and Pa4X.

That said, it does seem a spurious ad hoc occurence.

There is no definitive source of the problem but users who have experienced the shutdown have (1) changed the battery (2) removing third party samples (3) resetting the keyboard (4) downloaded and installed the latest OS, even if overwriting the same version.

Do perform a “Save All” to your USB memory stick before doing any of the above.

Reaction score
It has been reported as happening before, not just on the 1000 but on the 700 and Pa4X.

That said, it does seem a spurious ad hoc occurence.

There is no definitive source of the problem but users who have experienced the shutdown have (1) changed the battery (2) removing third party samples (3) resetting the keyboard (4) downloaded and installed the latest OS, even if overwriting the same version.

Do perform a “Save All” to your USB memory stick before doing any of the above.
It just shuts off. Then I power it up and all is fine. Yes, I always save all on disc. A good point! I do have the Musikant third party sd installed? I think this is where it started? But how can we be sure? I run the keyboard styles constantly at home for at least 3 days and no shut down. I recently put it in test mode and it is showing an intermittent short on the Songbook pushbutton. I am going to fix that first, and maybe solve the problem? Although, I rarely use the buttons on the keyboard since I use pedals like Airturn and Blueboard to control.
It seems when I go from Songbook number to songbook number using the Blueboard and Songbook plus app on iPad. The screen freezes for about 5 seconds, then keyboard shuts off. Never a problem on my PA3x with the same control setup.
Although, I do not have the third party Musikant sd key installed like on the pa1000.

My QSC Touchmix had similar problem. It was in warranty and the first thing the company sent was the power supply brick. Never had problem. That is what prompted me to try, a 50$ part.

My trusty PA3x serves me well and going to use it until this is resolved.
Thanks for your input…

Reaction score
Unless the keyboard is overheating then it sounds power supply related. Where did you source the power supply from? Is it made in China?

Reaction score
OK.

I would re-install the OS avoiding adding the Third Party Musikant add on.

Give it a try and see how it goes.

Dave.
The Korg Pa series keyboards are made in Italy, even my new one has the “Made in Italy“ label attached. Third Party software is known to affect some but not all Pa keyboards.

Reaction score
Unless the keyboard is overheating then it sounds power supply related. Where did you source the power supply from? Is it made in China?

I found it here. Took about 3 months to get.

Reaction score
OK.

I would re-install the OS avoiding adding the Third Party Musikant add on.

Give it a try and see how it goes.

Dave.
The Korg Pa series keyboards are made in Italy, even my new one has the “Made in Italy“ label attached. Third Party software is known to affect some but not all Pa keyboards.
I think I should be able to copy the Musikant styles/sounds into the Korg user or usb stick. Then take out the SD Musikant add-on (SD is just a key, has no styles). Boot up as factory. Thanks for suggestion’s.

(I was able to add the Musikant styles to the Korg PA3x with Korg PaManager software successfully. Although, had to tweak some of the sounds in the style mix.
Do same with pa5x, but no need for PaManager since this conversion feature is included in the pa5x).

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. Only thing I only have this happen on a gig which I play weekly, 3 times. Was concerned about power surge, using high quality surge protection plug ins. I even tried battery backup…I could go on weeks without a problem, just like after I replaced the power supply, which was most long term without a shut down.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Why not add a second keyboard as a backup so if the PA dies in a performance you can quickly recover with a modicum of composure? Maybe a stage piano or a synth.

Meanwhile, if it's affecting your income then you have no other choice than to take it to an authorized service centre and see if the problem is fixable.

Reaction score
Why not add a second keyboard as a backup so if the PA dies in a performance you can quickly recover with a modicum of composure? Maybe a stage piano or a synth.

Meanwhile, if it's affecting your income then you have no other choice than to take it to an authorized service centre and see if the problem is fixable.
Yes, Now use my PA3x which is still a great performance keyboard…I will think about taking pa1000 for service…? I just like the pa1000 because it is more portable. But portability is not an issue on a steady house gig.
Will keep the pa5x at home, no desire to take it out gigging at this time. But enjoy the new sound…
I think Audience response is positive, no matter what keyboard we use. But the nightmare is having it shutoff when the audience is into the music…😳

Reaction score
Dave.
In his opening post he said he replaced the power supply once before so was wondering where the replacement came from.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
In his opening post he said he replaced the power supply once before so was wondering where the replacement came from.

He linked it a few replies back.

If you're wondering what country made it, I'd bet dollars to donuts that it's Chinese.

Reaction score

If you're wondering what country made it, I'd bet dollars to donuts that it's Chinese.
These power bricks are the same used on many laptops. Korg just adds the connector and bracket assembly. They too are similar on all keyboards that have built in power supplies. As mentioned before, in service mode, a short is showing up on the Songbook pushbutton. But the button functions properly? Intermittent stuff is hard to find.

Reaction score

Yep, the second image shows "Made in China". Interesting to see that the PA1000 uses a cased PSU. I'm thinking that if mine ever goes bad, it might be possible to use a laptop PSU, as long as it has the same 19v 3.42A or greater output. I have a few old ones in my collection (very little gets tossed) so one might be suitable.

Reaction score
I bought a Korg MiniKorg 700FS from Thomann's couple of years ago.
I didn't get much chance to test it as my wife was in the hospital at the time.

But later on, I noticed that it would all of a sudden shut down.

Being owner of a pro audio and synth design company, I figured I would try to fix it, rather than sent it to Germany and then back to California.

Attempt 1, replace the power switch, funky looking solder joints...
No go.

Attempt 2, replace the power supply which was a PITA as Korg used an oversized barrel connector that no standard wall wart or lump would fit, so cut the cable and attached a new supply... No go

Attempt 3, complete dis-assembly and close inspection of the boards.
No go...

Attempt 4,
Another complete dis-assembly, and this time, I just happened to see a wire hanging out free from the Molex header.... These synths are built with wire, crimp terminals and plug housings instead of the horrible 3M ribbon cable crap.
This is good from the quality standpoint, but they are painstakingly hand assembled. This one wire was not "clicked" all the way into the housing and was making intermittent connections.

Anyway, I re-inserted the stray wire and terminal into the empty housing space and Viola! It has worked 100% ever since, and is the best built synth I own, and have owned dozens. Almost EVERY other maker uses that horrible IDC ribbon crap instead of wire harness. This may be OK in a computer or something like that but it has no place in musical instruments.

Anyway, maybe you have a similar failure mode?

Take care,
rf

Reaction score
I bought a Korg MiniKorg 700FS from Thomann's couple of years ago.
I didn't get much chance to test it as my wife was in the hospital at the time.

But later on, I noticed that it would all of a sudden shut down.

Being owner of a pro audio and synth design company, I figured I would try to fix it, rather than sent it to Germany and then back to California.

Attempt 1, replace the power switch, funky looking solder joints...
No go.

Attempt 2, replace the power supply which was a PITA as Korg used an oversized barrel connector that no standard wall wart or lump would fit, so cut the cable and attached a new supply... No go

Attempt 3, complete dis-assembly and close inspection of the boards.
No go...

Attempt 4,
Another complete dis-assembly, and this time, I just happened to see a wire hanging out free from the Molex header.... These synths are built with wire, crimp terminals and plug housings instead of the horrible 3M ribbon cable crap.
This is good from the quality standpoint, but they are painstakingly hand assembled. This one wire was not "clicked" all the way into the housing and was making intermittent connections.

Anyway, I re-inserted the stray wire and terminal into the empty housing space and Viola! It has worked 100% ever since, and is the best built synth I own, and have owned dozens. Almost EVERY other maker uses that horrible IDC ribbon crap instead of wire harness. This may be OK in a computer or something like that but it has no place in musical instruments.

Anyway, maybe you have a similar failure mode?

Take care,
rf
Thanks…I did inspect the internals of the keyboard. Wires, connections. It seems this happens when I change songbook number from SongbookPlus iPad or Airturn bt500s-6, change a variation. All of a sudden the screen freezes, then shuts down. I have it at home and never get it to shutdown, go figure? Thanks for your input…

Reaction score
Yep, the second image shows "Made in China". Interesting to see that the PA1000 uses a cased PSU. I'm thinking that if mine ever goes bad, it might be possible to use a laptop PSU, as long as it has the same 19v 3.42A or greater output. I have a few old ones in my collection (very little gets tossed) so one might be suitable.
You are correct on the cased power supply. Same design in my pa5x. Impossible to open up to inspect without an exact knife to break the seal. Wonder if there is a way to do a load test on these power supplies? Like they do on car batteries.

Reaction score
Don't open the power supply.

But a load test is a regular thing on repair benches.
Use Ohm's law to find a resistor that is big enough for the wattage you will be subjecting it to.

Then get a socket with the same dimensions as your Korg and wire the resistor across the terminals on the socket.

This assumes you are comfortable with the above....

But, changing screens or modes wouldn't seem like a cause for a power droop from a sick supply. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time!

Reaction score
Don't open the power supply.

But a load test is a regular thing on repair benches.
Use Ohm's law to find a resistor that is big enough for the wattage you will be subjecting it to.

Then get a socket with the same dimensions as your Korg and wire the resistor across the terminals on the socket.

This assumes you are comfortable with the above....

But, changing screens or modes wouldn't seem like a cause for a power droop from a sick supply. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time!
I am comfortable in doing a load test. That’s the direction I was thinking…I am able to go into test mode. Just sometimes during test procedure, the Songbook pushbutton comes out as “shorted” but I rarely use that button since I use iPad Songbook plus…think I will replace that button…then it could be the plastic mechanism that is bad? Which I have seen…but that button seems to function properly?
Keep you posted…
Thanks and will give this a try…

Reaction score
A shorted switch could cause headaches for sure.
Probably needs to be replaced, the whole switch, not just the cap.
That depends on replacement part availability though.

Good luck!

You might want to measure AC ripple on the DC during load testing.

Ask a Question