Late Night Whisky

Reaction score
I haven't recored a new song in quite a while and was getting quite bunged up. This is what spurted out.
Make no bones about it. It's a RAWK song! Loud, proud and full of piss and vinegar.
I played and sand everything on this one. Hope you like it.Please, play it as loud as your system will handle and I recommend first having a festrong bevies before hand.
The title basically gives it all away. Hope you like it and please, forward it to any of your friends. I need the "plays".
Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/jeremykeys%2Flate-night-whisky

Reaction score
Well. there is still a lot of work to do in the studio. The ceiling isn't finished and my bass traps aren't wrapped in acoustic cloth yet. But it's getting close. Summer, cottage, fishing etc got in the way. Not complaining though. Thanks for enjoying my newest song.
I'm hoping to hang around a lot more in the coming months. Still working but at a reduced rate. Won't work fridays anymore. I'm 68 and I just don't wanna!

Reaction score
Great song.

How was this recorded? I believe the drums and bass were digitally programmed?

Did you play the guitars or it is also a keyboard?
I play everything and do all the vocals as well. I usually start with a guitar riff and then I figure out what kind of drum beat I want from that riff. I finger play the drums on a Korg Nanopad 2. The sounds are stock drum sounds from my Cubase DAW. i sometimes tune the drums up or down a bit to suit my mood. After I have a basic version of the song done I might re-record the guitar track to make it tighter to the drums. I lately have been doing left and right guitars with 2 different guitars and different amps just to make each one have a bit of individuality. I don't use real amps. I use the amp sims in my DAW. After guitars and drums, i don't have any real set way to continue but usually I'll do bass guitar next and then keyboards with the vocals done last. Once the vocals are done, I usually go back and adjust volumes and anything else that I think needs adjusting.
I'll then do a mixdown and play it in my car. That's my final testing ground. I'll repeat this process until I feel that it's good enough to release. My studio is very small and there's not much room for anyone else in here.
Feel free to check out my other songs on SoundCloud and thanks for listening!

Reaction score
I play everything and do all the vocals as well. I usually start with a guitar riff and then I figure out what kind of drum beat I want from that riff. I finger play the drums on a Korg Nanopad 2. The sounds are stock drum sounds from my Cubase DAW. i sometimes tune the drums up or down a bit to suit my mood. After I have a basic version of the song done I might re-record the guitar track to make it tighter to the drums. I lately have been doing left and right guitars with 2 different guitars and different amps just to make each one have a bit of individuality. I don't use real amps. I use the amp sims in my DAW. After guitars and drums, i don't have any real set way to continue but usually I'll do bass guitar next and then keyboards with the vocals done last. Once the vocals are done, I usually go back and adjust volumes and anything else that I think needs adjusting.
I'll then do a mixdown and play it in my car. That's my final testing ground. I'll repeat this process until I feel that it's good enough to release. My studio is very small and there's not much room for anyone else in here.
Feel free to check out my other songs on SoundCloud and thanks for listening!
This is amazing!!! You are really multi-talented! Congratulations...

Reaction score
Thank you very much! it means a lot to me when people appreciate what i do. Right now I'm working on a country/rock song. I used to live in the east end of Toronto, Canada but now i live 45 minutes north of the city. My wife and I love it out here.
Writing and recording songs has been a passion of mine for a long time. I've played in a lot of bands but the ones I liked playing in the best were ones that played our own music.
Stay well, my friend!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm glad you discovered the vocal FX buttons on the second one.

Your voice is a little too thin to stand on its own :)

With all due respect. :)

Do you have any plans to explore video in your new space?

I'm currently exploring the art of movie making....

Reaction score
I'm glad you discovered the vocal FX buttons on the second one.

Your voice is a little too thin to stand on its own :)

With all due respect. :)

Do you have any plans to explore video in your new space?

I'm currently exploring the art of movie making....
No worries. I'm surprised that I didn't hear that. I'll have to check it out and see what's what.
Videos? Well, I've puttered around with LightWorks a bit. It's a freeware video thingy but holy crap! It doesn't make any sense at all to me. I keep having to look up various terms to find out what they're asking me. Like "bins". WTF is a bin?
What I want to do one day, is have simple performance videos. Since I'm the only one playing, I'd like to be able to have various scenes of me playing the various instruments and singing. Since the song is already done, it shouldn't be that hard, right? Wrong!
It looks like the video will take a ton longer to do than write and record the song and this often takes a few weeks.
My motivation to do videos is growing smaller.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
While even shooting the video artistically is not that easy... The hardest job is the editing...

Fortunately iMovie is included with an Apple computer, but you still have to pay a service for stuff like stock footage if you want to clear it with the American copyright police :p

Here's a good youtube laying out what's needed for a basic rock video.

Reaction score
While even shooting the video artistically is not that easy... The hardest job is the editing...

Fortunately iMovie is included with an Apple computer, but you still have to pay a service for stuff like stock footage if you want to clear it with the American copyright police :p

Here's a good youtube laying out what's needed for a basic rock video.

Cool! Thank you! I'm using a PC however.
Basically all I'd want to be able to do is put video to one of my songs. I'm not so much interested in making a "proper" video. My favorite ones have always been performances.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's a first attempt I made tonight with my buddy Steve on Bass.

I think it's actually not too shabby.

Took about hours from initial recording to this posting.

What do ya think?

Reaction score
Here's a first attempt I made tonight with my buddy Steve on Bass.

I think it's actually not too shabby.

Took about hours from initial recording to this posting.

What do ya think?
Well, it put a big grin on my face! That's a good thing. I like the squelchy resonant sounds you've got there.
For some reason this makes me think of Skinny Puppy.
Cool!
Took about hours? how many?

Ask a Question