Listening Roland E-80 .STL files with PC

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Roland .STL files, but if they're style files then you might be able to make a copy of the file (so the original file remains "untouched"), rename the copy so it has a .MID file extension, and then play the file on your computer with a MIDI player.

However, this assumes that the style file contains MIDI data and is formatted as a MIDI file-- that is, it begins with a MIDI Header chunk, followed by one or more MIDI Track chunks, followed by any manufacturer-specific chunks which are necessary for telling the keyboard how to play the style.

Unfortunately, the Yamaha style file format that I'm semi-familiar with doesn't follow those requisites, so you can't simply change the file extension on a Yamaha style file and get it to play in a MIDI pkayer; instead, you need to use a program that understands the Yamaha style file format and knows how to properly interpret and play the style. If that's also the case with Roland style files, you'll need to look for a program that understands the Roland style file format.

Reaction score
Thanks for your prompt reply. I tested with YAMAHA PSR-S700 .STL MIDI file opened style, but it was something else in it, Maj and Min etc played disorder. No light in tunnel. I must choose the hardest way to listen this huge bunch with E-80.
Regards. Pertti from Finland

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yes, given the way style files (at least, the Yamaha style files I'm semi-familiar with) are usually formatted and the way they're designed to be used, the only reasonable way to "demo" a style file (other than playing it on a keyboard it was intended for) is by using some sort of software that was expressly designed for that purpose.

Reaction score
I've E-80 at my rehearsal place. It's bulky and heavy to transport to back home, so I'll download styles here on PCMIA cards and listen there and pick wanted ones.

Reaction score
Hi. I tried to open .STL file with MIDI and Style Player it doesn't work. Were can I get proper program?
With Roland styles there is an arranger program you can buy, I forgot it's name so will have to look it out, that can load Roland styles on pc and you could play them.

With Yamaha styles there is a guy who made special Yamaha style player program you can get it for free. I forgot his name or name of program will have to look it out. If you're still interested I can look on my pc for both so please post me so here:

(e-mail address removed)

Regards...

Ask a Question