Loading USR

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You can't use a USR file from a different model, but it might be possible-- with a good bit of work-- to convert it from the original model to the target model.

However, I'm not sure whether you need to convert the entire USR file, because you said "beat," so I think perhaps you are talking about a User Song that's been recorded on the keyboard? If so, you can insert a USB flash drive into the original keyboard (PSR-E453) and use the "Save SMF" file control function to convert the User Song to a Standard MIDI File or SMF. Then you can insert the USB flash drive into the other keyboard (PSR-E443) and play back the song.

Note that a User Song which was recorded with a DJ Pattern cannot be converted to SMF, whereas a User Song which was recorded with a Style can be.

The following is to help clarify some terminology:

A "USR File"-- also called a "User File"-- is a type of backup file that has an extension of ".USR." It contains up to three different types of data, depending on what was saved on the keyboard-- (1) any User Songs that were recorded; (2) any Registrations that were saved; and (3) any external styles that were loaded to the User Styles. It also contains a file header section that identifies the model of keyboard that it came from, which is why you can't load it into other models. However, it's possible to extract the User Songs to MIDI files (even if they were recorded with DJ Patterns), although the actual accompaniment isn't extracted, just the control events which select the desired Style or Pattern, switch between the different sections of the accompaniment, and switch between the different chords. It's also possible to extract the User Styles to style files. And the Registrations can be extracted, although they generally can't be used with other models unless they're converted, and even then they may contain data fields or data values which aren't available on the target keyboard.

A "BUP File"-- also called a "Backup File"-- has an extension of ".BUP." It is more or less the same thing as a User File, in that it contains the User Songs, Registrations, and User Styles. However, it also contains the Backup Parameters which preserve certain keyboard settings even when the keyboard is powered off. Also, a Backup File must have a specific name, so you can't have multiple Backup Files unless you store them in different folders-- whereas the User Files can have 100 different names, so you can store up to 100 different User Files in a given folder. Also, a Backup File must be saved or loaded via the Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader, whereas a User File must be saved or loaded via a USB flash drive.

A "User Song" is a song which was recorded with the keyboard's built-in Song Recorder. It's stored internally using MIDI data, although it isn't a MIDI file per se. PSR-E models that include a USB TO DEVICE port have the ability to convert a User Song into an actual MIDI file that gets written directly to a USB flash drive.

Reaction score
You can't use a USR file from a different model, but it might be possible-- with a good bit of work-- to convert it from the original model to the target model.

However, I'm not sure whether you need to convert the entire USR file, because you said "beat," so I think perhaps you are talking about a User Song that's been recorded on the keyboard? If so, you can insert a USB flash drive into the original keyboard (PSR-E453) and use the "Save SMF" file control function to convert the User Song to a Standard MIDI File or SMF. Then you can insert the USB flash drive into the other keyboard (PSR-E443) and play back the song.

Note that a User Song which was recorded with a DJ Pattern cannot be converted to SMF, whereas a User Song which was recorded with a Style can be.

A "USR File"-- also called a "User File"-- is a type of backup file that has an extension of ".USR." It contains up to three different types of data, depending on what was saved on the keyboard-- (1) any User Songs that were recorded; (2) any Registrations that were saved; and (3) any external styles that were loaded to the User Styles. It also contains a file header section that identifies the model of keyboard that it came from, which is why you can't load it into other models. However, it's possible to extract the User Songs to MIDI files (even if they were recorded with DJ Patterns), although the actual accompaniment isn't extracted, just the control events which select the desired Style or Pattern, switch between the different sections of the accompaniment, and switch between the different chords. It's also possible to extract the User Styles to style files. And the Registrations can be extracted, although they generally can't be used with other models unless they're converted, and even then they may contain data fields or data values which aren't available on the target keyboard.

A "BUP File"-- also called a "Backup File"-- has an extension of ".BUP." It is more or less the same thing as a User File, in that it contains the User Songs, Registrations, and User Styles. However, it also contains the Backup Parameters which preserve certain keyboard settings even when the keyboard is powered off. Also, a Backup File must have a specific name, so you can't have multiple Backup Files unless you store them in different folders-- whereas the User Files can have 100 different names, so you can store up to 100 different User Files in a given folder. Also, a Backup File must be saved or loaded via the Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader, whereas a User File must be saved or loaded via a USB flash drive.

A "User Song" is a song which was recorded with the keyboard's built-in Song Recorder. It's stored internally using MIDI data, although it isn't a MIDI file per se. PSR-E models that include a USB TO DEVICE port have the ability to convert a User Song into an actual MIDI file that gets written directly to a USB flash drive.

Thank you very much,,so it means I cant play the external beats saved in a USR from a certain model to the other model?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
That depends on what you're trying to do, and I'm still unsure about what that is.

You keep referring to "beats." Are you trying to take a performance (or "song") recorded on a PSR-E453 and play it back on a different model? If that's what you're trying to do, then yes, you should be able to do that. Just use the "Save SMF" function to convert the User Song to a standard MIDI file.

But you also say "external beats saved in a USR," which sounds like you might mean external style files which have been loaded into a PSR-E453 and saved inside of a USR file, which you would like to extract from the USR file so you can load them into a different model. If that's what you're trying to do, then yes, it's possible to do that, although I would rather extract them for you than try to explain how to do it, because it requires some familiarity with the USR file format, hexadecimal editors, and how to recognize where a style file begins and ends inside of a USR file. If this is what you're trying to do, attach the USR file to an email and send it to me.

Reaction score
I loaded my psr e463 with external beats and now I want to copy from the keyboard to another USB drive how can I do this

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Do you mean you transferred them into the internal storage memory using Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader? If so, you can use the Musicsoft Downloader to transfer them back to your computer so they can be copied to a USB thumb drive.

Or do you mean that you "loaded" (registered) them as User Styles so they could be played by selecting their Style Numbers from the panel? If so, do you still have the original style files on USB? Registering a style so you can play it does not remove it from the USB thumb drive.

Ask a Question